3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubi-8
  • 1 Post By Rubi-8
  • 1 Post By Cod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-30-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My 2012 Rubicon Build

First off, this will be a mild build. Nothing crazy really. It will be a daily driver with some light trail use. Here is what she already has done:
Airiad Intake
Procomp extreme 17x9 wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja atz
HID headlights
Aftermarket bumpers front and rear( not sure yet on brand)
It looks like it has a throttle body spacer( I will verify soon)
Pair of KC lights on the front

Future Mods:
Lift (height to be determined)
Replace KC light with LED's
Allofther lights LED
Mesh grille inserts

If anyone has any ideas/ recommendations on what brand to get or where let me know. I'm new to Jeeps. Yes, I will be uploading pics for the initial and progress as time goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludt View Post
First off, this will be a mild build. Nothing crazy really. How many times have I heard that beforeIt will be a daily driver with some light trail use. Here is what she already has done:
Airiad Intake
Procomp extreme 17x9 wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja atz what size tires?
HID headlights
Aftermarket bumpers front and rear( not sure yet on brand) Judging from the rest, probably smittybilt, not that there is anything wrong with that.
It looks like it has a throttle body spacer( I will verify soon)
Pair of KC lights on the front

Future Mods:
Lift (height to be determined)
Replace KC light with LED's
Allofther lights LED
Mesh grille inserts

If anyone has any ideas/ recommendations on what brand to get or where let me know. I'm new to Jeeps. Yes, I will be uploading pics for the initial and progress as time goes.
The lift that you want will depend on how much you want to spend. The cheapest is not always the best. I have had people ride in my jeep that were amazed at how well it rode on trails compared to any other jeep they had ridden in. I have !MetalCloak, and am super happy with it. Your opinion, and finances, may be different. Until you make a budget to start with, it will be hard to help give ideas on a lift, or other goodies.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-30-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tires are 305/65/17.
Lol yea I'm sure lots have said they weren't going crazy with it. As far as pricing on the lift and stuff I'm obviously wanting to go with the lowest price I can, but still want quality( yes I know that'll come with a price). The first thing I think I'll do is a steering stabilizer. I know they are somewhat frowned upon but Ive driven one with the rough country dual stabilizer and liked how it drove. That jeep also had a 2.5 or 3" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-30-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

First pic of the jeep
Attached Images

Last edited by Kludt; 07-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone got pics of a hoist for a metal carport? Ive been looking around at some that people have made, but pretty much all the ones I've seen are in garages or a free standing one they bought. Weather around here since I bought the jeep has been great, and I'm dying to take the top off.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm in the process of finishing a hardtop hoist that I'm building out of stuff from work. In the mean time does anyone know what brand of bumper this is? It has removable ends on it and I haven't found the brand yet. I'm wanting to get caps for it to make it a stubby.
Attached Images

post #7 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Rock God

tThat logo is definitely Rugged Ridge. Looks like the XHD line.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #8 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Rock God

Call the boys @Northridge4x4 . They should be able to get those Rugged Ridge end caps for you.
Northridge4x4 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #9 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys I looked at rugged ridges website and its their modular xhd front bumper. I will check out the guys at northridge and see if they can get some stubby caps. I found them on the rugged ridge website and they are $230. I'm glad they make them so I don't have to buy a whole new bumper.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I got some seat covers from Rough Country in yesterday and put them on. Fit and finish is better than I expected for the $150 price compared to others I looked at. Price included front and rear seats as well as headrests. Here are some before and after pics.
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok guys, I've been doing lots of reading and browsing on lifts. I've narrowed down my choices to teraflex, AEV or Rock Krawler. I'm needing some advice from people that actually have these and how they perform on road specifically. It will be spending most of its time on road and will make at least 1 very long drive to Texas. As you can see I already have aftermarket bumpers front and back. I plan on changing the steps out from some rock sliders that I'll use for a step because I like the look better. I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ p3 305/65/17 currently and may go up to a 35 later, not sure yet. Stock fenders are staying on. I'm wanting a complete kit with everything included from the same manufacturer including shocks. As I said in my first post I will be doing a 2.5" lift.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Rock God

You have a really good focus on what your needs are and the direction. I have had my hands on all three vendors in your choices and cannot really say anything bad about all three however, Teraflex is my least favorite. AEV is a simple yet high quality set up and rides the best on road with the dual rate springs. I put over 1000 miles on an AEV down to Moab and back and even my wife loved the ride and drive. Rock Krawler over engineers their products and was very impressed with the ability off-road. If you were replacing control arms I would definitely go with Rock Krawler; but there is no need to with your set up.

Although I would say the spring rate and shock selection will make the biggest difference for on-road feel. The AEV with the Bilstein shocks has the best ride IMO. Stay away from the basic Teraflex shocks (The Falcons are impressive but not a target for your needs). I love the Fox shocks on my JK-8 but they are a slightly firmer ride.

Call @Northridge4x4 . They might even have some deals for forum members. Either system you could run 315s (35) in the future without modification.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...-shock-options

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...pension-system
Cod likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #13 of 19 Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Ok guys, I've been doing lots of reading and browsing on lifts. I've narrowed down my choices to teraflex, AEV or Rock Krawler. I'm needing some advice from people that actually have these and how they perform on road specifically. It will be spending most of its time on road and will make at least 1 very long drive to Texas. As you can see I already have aftermarket bumpers front and back. I plan on changing the steps out from some rock sliders that I'll use for a step because I like the look better. I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ p3 305/65/17 currently and may go up to a 35 later, not sure yet. Stock fenders are staying on. I'm wanting a complete kit with everything included from the same manufacturer including shocks. As I said in my first post I will be doing a 2.5" lift.
AEV hands down.....you can't beat their lifts for handling on road.

And what @Rubi-8 said
Rubi-8 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
It's crazy to think those tires of yours only weigh 4lbs less than mine (315/75R16 GY MTRK)

I like where your build is going though.. nice rig. Those ATs will serve you well.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #15 of 19 Old 08-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Wheeler

you cant go wrong with the AEV..
It is a complete system and functions very well..
If you are on the street mostly you dont need to spend the extra for the high end bilstiens. the 5100's work just fine.
I did the 3.5 with 37's and like very much the way the system handles.
Adjustable control arms make it really nice.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok guys I've looked at the AEV 2.5 dual sport and thought I was going to get it, but the local shop here said they recommend the bds 3" with fox 2.0 shocks over the aev. Anyone have any experience with bds? They sell teraflex and bds at that shop. The bds will be about $400 cheaper installed than the aev.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Granite Guru

You're probably making the right decision staying at 2.5" for DD. From what I've read and experienced with my 4", the hwy ride can get squirrelier by the inch. However the prior owner of my JKUR 2012 put a cheap Zone 4" on it and it drove horribly. So I'm sure the lift quality and method matters greatly. I removed that lift and am about to install Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit. I think your tire size also would work well with 2.5".
post #18 of 19 Old 09-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Ok guys I've looked at the AEV 2.5 dual sport and thought I was going to get it, but the local shop here said they recommend the bds 3" with fox 2.0 shocks over the aev. Anyone have any experience with bds? They sell teraflex and bds at that shop. The bds will be about $400 cheaper installed than the aev.
AEV hands down.

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #19 of 19 Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannarun View Post
AEV hands down.
Agree! Some shops will recommend some brands more than others because they get a better profit margin. I have run BDS before and while it was stout, I would go with the AEV 10 times over for ride quality and control.

Shop around and maybe another shop can get a better deal on AEV. The installation is the same.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode