Flooded Jeep. . . Now what? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By Hip2u77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Flooded Jeep. . . Now what?

The area where my wife's '14 JKUR was sitting flooded overnight. The highest the water got was about 5" under the door handle. From a quick video the water was definitely above the seat bottoms as they're covered and the console is full of water.

The JK has all the typical bolt-ons, 2.5" BB lift, 35" tires, bumper, winch, axles, etc., but stock vent lines.

I know I've read threads over the years where people have buried / swamped their JKs and it was good after all new fluids and an interior drying / cleaning.

Should I try to do something with this or is it a total loss?

How does insurance handle flood vehicles? I just stuck 2 new tires on it a couple weeks ago and would had to lose the money for those and all the accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You probably could get a total loss on it if you wanted to with your insurance company. Then see if you could buy it back from them. Of course the resale value will be nothing since it will have a salvage title. But if you plan on keeping it for years and years then that is not a big deal.

But if you didn't want to go that route. 1st thing would be to change the engine oil since most likely water is in the pan and you don't want that stuff running through the motor. Probably change the gas too just as a precaution. Then pull ALL the spark plugs and crank it over and see if any water is coming out of the chambers. I don't know how you would check to make sure there is no water in the exhaust system but that is something to look at.

If it does run then you want to change all the other fluids.
1eviljk likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-28-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I decided last night that the only acceptable outcome is a total loss. It sit overnight in 40" of water so there's just too big a risk of gremlins happening later on down the line unless the full wiring harness, dash, etc. is replaced, and that's not even talking mechanical issues. Then the resale on it is shot anyway, so we're ready if we need to fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode