Newbie needing some buying help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Newbie needing some buying help

These questions may have already been answered, but I haven't found them yet. I'm new to the jeep world and am looking to buy one in the near future. I have found a few answered already but here are some I haven't seen answered yet :
What is the best year model to buy?
What would be a good mileage to stay under on them?
What are some of the things I should ask about, look at, and feel for when test driving and checking them out?

The jeep will be a daily driver for sure. I doubt I will rock crawl with it, but it may see some mud and/or the beach from time to time. If there is any other info needed just ask. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludt View Post
These questions may have already been answered, but I haven't found them yet. I'm new to the jeep world and am looking to buy one in the near future. I have found a few answered already but here are some I haven't seen answered yet :
What is the best year model to buy?
What would be a good mileage to stay under on them?
What are some of the things I should ask about, look at, and feel for when test driving and checking them out?

The jeep will be a daily driver for sure. I doubt I will rock crawl with it, but it may see some mud and/or the beach from time to time. If there is any other info needed just ask. Thanks
2011 had an interior refresh. I like the feel of it more than the 07-10.

2012 had an updated pentastar engine. This is really the biggest difference between the years. The 3.8L of 07-11 is a dog chasing a bone and running out of breath. The 3.6L of 12+ has all the power you'll need. Test drive both and you'll ignore anything before 2012.

2015 put the standing tweeters on the dash flat, and added an extra coaxial/tweeter to each side of the sound bar.

The other years all had little changes, but the ones I mentioned are the biggest that might change what years youre looking at.

Mileage comes down to what you consider. I think generally, 140k is a lot. As for me, I keep a single vehicle for a while as I beat it down with 600-1400 miles a week. Knowing what I will do it it, I wouldnt look at anything higher than 40 or 50k.

Don't care too much about trim. If you havent had them, manual windows and locks are as bad you as might be thinking. Head units and speakers are cheap and easy to install. And youd want covers regardless of whether seats are leather or cloth. Sport will do everything you need it to, and its cheaper to upgrade a sport to the level of a rubicon than to buy a rubicon.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by animusrien View Post
2011 had an interior refresh. I like the feel of it more than the 07-10.

2012 had an updated pentastar engine. This is really the biggest difference between the years. The 3.8L of 07-11 is a dog chasing a bone and running out of breath. The 3.6L of 12+ has all the power you'll need. Test drive both and you'll ignore anything before 2012.

2015 put the standing tweeters on the dash flat, and added an extra coaxial/tweeter to each side of the sound bar.

The other years all had little changes, but the ones I mentioned are the biggest that might change what years youre looking at.

Mileage comes down to what you consider. I think generally, 140k is a lot. As for me, I keep a single vehicle for a while as I beat it down with 600-1400 miles a week. Knowing what I will do it it, I wouldnt look at anything higher than 40 or 50k.

Don't care too much about trim. If you havent had them, manual windows and locks are as bad you as might be thinking. Head units and speakers are cheap and easy to install. And youd want covers regardless of whether seats are leather or cloth. Sport will do everything you need it to, and its cheaper to upgrade a sport to the level of a rubicon than to buy a rubicon.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Everything he said was good. But the last question that you are asking "what to look for" could open a huge can of worms depending on what way you want to learn on it. Some of the easiest things to look for would be rust underneath. These things (especially my 08') rust like a son-a-bitch if you let to much salt get to them. You can pretty easily tell if its been wheeled before they the marks on the gas tank skid plate.

If you are extremely interested in one I would take it to a Jeep dealership and have them check the alignment and run the codes. If all that passes then you probably have a decent Jeep on your hands.

Also, if you are getting a soft top, its gonna leak. Get over it. Its a Jeep.

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the help guys. I finally settled on a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon. I'll start a thread on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode