Long arm suspension questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dahreno
  • 1 Post By RiverCityOffroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Long arm suspension questions

Good afternoon.
I have a '13 wrangler and I'm getting ready to lift it. I prefer a long arm suspension for articulation purposes.
I'm trying to find a kit that offers components to correct streering geometry, bump stops, and the brackets to raise the control arms up level with the frame rails. I'll be lifting it 3.5 or 4 inches. what brands are the most durable. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck.
Also, is there any helpful input on making sure this rig is set up properly!

A few weeks ago I found a cool kit that had everything I needed short of the shocks and it was roughly $1700. But I didn't save the page and I can't find it now. I think it was friom JKS.

any and all input is helpful.
thanks in advance.
J.S.

J.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Welcome to JKO

I just removed an Icon 4.5" stage 2 short arm lift and installed a Rock Kralwer triple threat system on a '14 Rubicon 4 door. I was very impressed with the quality of parts and how the arms are installed on the frame side. The owner was ecstatic after driving it. Not only are the long arms mounting inside the frame but the arms are bent in such a way that you get as much ground clearance as a short arm system.

@Rock Krawler Suspension . They have a no questions warranty; well except one...take pictures to impress them if something actually breaks.

I spent a ton of time trying to tweak and modify the Icon in order to get it to track down the road straight and owners not thinking they were going to die trying to get to 65mph. Now Colby can drive at 80mph with one finger on the wheel and flex over rocks like no other. Seeing him after a 1200 mile wheeling trip was like he won the lottery.

BTW, I am not paid by Rock Krawler, or an affiliate in any way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

A long arm suspension doesn't mean you will have more articulation.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
I just removed an Icon 4.5" stage 2 short arm lift
I wouldn't want any Donahoe gear on my Jeep either.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Find a decent shop that knows what they are doing and get a custom job done right and don't rely on a "kit".
Most every long arm kit for the JK leaves a lot to be desired in terms of bracket placement and arm length.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 05:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post

@Rock Krawler Suspension . They have a no questions warranty; well except one...take pictures to impress them if something actually breaks.
BTW, I am not paid by Rock Krawler, or an affiliate in any way.
Except their warranty does not cover anything that moves, wears, stretches or fatigues. All those problems magically become install error.
And I sure ain't paid by RK either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

You don't NEED a long arm on the JK. Start with a standard arm suspension setup unless you are wanting a $7-10k suspension.

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
A long arm suspension doesn't mean you will have more articulation.
Sure, shocks are usually the limiting factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Except their warranty does not cover anything that moves, wears, stretches or fatigues. All those problems magically become install error.
And I sure ain't paid by RK either.
Are you sure you are not talking about Teraflex? I've had those exact same issues and quoted responses but only for Teraflex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannarun View Post
You don't NEED a long arm on the JK. Start with a standard arm suspension setup unless you are wanting a $7-10k suspension.
Need? No but it is impressive the difference in ride quality and articulation. Not sure where you are getting your $10k price tag but one does not have to spend half that for a good quality system.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Rock Krawler offers a number of long arm systems that will check all of the boxes on your want list. With a bit of modification you can run the rear lower control arm mounts up so that the arm is mounted above the bottom of the frame. It takes a hole being drilled through the frame before you weld the brackets on so you can get to the bolts. Not a big deal once you've gone this far. Steering is often something that is sold separately, but that is easily covered. RK offers front three and four link and rear three link. There are a lot of people I hear saying that the three link won't handle on the road well, but that is not the case. They drive just as well as any four linked Jeep when set up properly with sway bars in place.

EVO MFG offers a couple of nice long arm systems as well that will do what you're asking. Their long arms use four link geometry with a track bar.

I personally run a Rock Krawler Offroad Pro Long Arm in mine. It is three linked front and rear with straight arms with joints at both ends. It has been extremely durable and is still silent on the street and trail after a couple of years of abuse.

Just remembered I couldn't post a pic because Photobucket has them all hostage.

Marcus
Rubi-8 likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 PM

I run the Teraflex long arm on my 2 door and absolutely love it. Far superior to a short arm suspension in every way. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Much smoother ride and handling and correct suspension geometry, especially during articulation.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 PM

Doing research and building your own links and buying brackets, tabs joints etc. from places like ballistic fab, daves customs, and ruff stuff (just to name a few) is actually a fairly inexpensive way to go. Personally i would rather pick and choose each individual part that goes into my suspension than buy a kit where everything is way marked up. Plus its cool to have a suspension thats unique to you. Just my 2 cents and i realize I'm not on Pirate right now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode