Oil leak? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Oil leak?

I noticed oil at the weep holes/rear of oil pan/front of the transmission, not enough to cause drops just wet. 2012 with 60k miles, I originally was thinking rear main seal but started to notice oil a little higher up as well. I put oil dye in and I discovered a little pool of oil right next to the oil filter housing. It is right next to housing by the lowest bolt. Thoughts on where it would be coming from? Oil filter housing cracked? Could it be coming from the breather on top of the passenger side of the engine (looked like it had dry oil on it)? Any place else might be coming from to arrive in that area? Thanks.

12 JKUR w/J30 Top
05 KJ CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-04-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pictures
Attached Images

12 JKUR w/J30 Top
05 KJ CRD

Last edited by JDaPP; 07-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

keep in mind I've a 3.8l but I know enough about JKs and Jeeps in general to hold off on assumptions until you e exhausted all other possible occurrences; spilling while refilling is a number 1 cause of oil " leaks" seeming to appear where there were none before. It will blow your mind the paths 5w-20 or 30 can find and wind-up pooling. If you've made sure that ain't the case, look to the Pentastar case, heh. Unless I'm mistaken, the biggest no-no for those bizarre oil filters in the 3.6l JKs is over tightening of the filter when you've had an oil Change ( or as most of us , changed yourself ) ; I'd make sure to search on here for oil filter housing crack info and verify over torquing hasn't cracked any of the plastics ...
If those check out, then starts your troubleshooting for other causes. I'm not sure wtf weep holes you're referencing as far as the oilpan. Last I checked , that system was kinda under pressure? Good luck and let us know what ya find

(edit: ya added images while I was replying but they don't suggest any issue to me.. looks like somebody may have dripped used oil when filter was changed and it's creeped around and gathered dust but I don't see any pool or leak symptom other than a getting used motor normally gets ....I'll defer to 3.6l owners at this point tho....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Appreciate the help, I will check the housing idea. I changed the oil myself and I am pretty careful about not dripping it but I will clean it up and see if it comes back. Thanks
post #5 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Hey Joe. A friend of mine had the same problem on another vehicle. We bought some oil dye and a black light at oreilys. We sprayed carb cleaner and cleaned the oil on the suspect areas and added the one ounce of dye. We drove to the store and bought some beer. Went home drank beer and saw absolutely nothing that night. He called me the next night to tell me the oil filter was leaking from the threads and another at the split line turned was from the valve cover. He also found another leak he wasn't aware of. You might try this. Did ya ask your pop?
Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 07-08-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I've already replaced a few of these oil filter housings on 3.6 engines. Cheap plastic in a very hot area. They should not have used a MB idea on these engines, but they did.

The use of oil dye is very nice to pin point any and all oil leaks though and is a very good idea. And it is cheap and easy with patience.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah, unfortunately Pop doesn't like messing with new cars very much so he couldn't offer much help. The dye unfortunately hasn't provided me much in the way of clues other than that initial puddle. I have cleaned up all the places I see oil and I am going to see if it puddles back up in the area pictured. It unfortunately is displaying all the symptoms of a oil filter housing issue based off of the accounts I have read. That is supposed to be a 2014+ issue...

I very much appreciate all the help.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Well hush my mouf Joe. Totallly didn't see that you had tried the dye already. Sorry 'bout dat. Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #9 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

You need to replace the oil filter housing. It's a known oil leaking area. The whole assembly is around 185 bucks, labor not sure, I changed mine myself it took 2.5 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 Old 07-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Granite Guru

You tube 3.6l oil housing replacement. There's a mopar mechanic that explains it very well.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2017, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

see? Told ya the 3.6l guys would be comin to aid. I only know those shouldn't be overtightened or else they crack like a plumbers arse when he squats to investigate your moms leaking sink.
I hope that's what it is and it's so easy replacement to fix.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-09-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Appreciate the help. Saw all the YouTube discussions, definitely not hard just annoying. Was hoping doing my own oil changes and being careful would help but agree with aka tambil plastic + hot = problem. Thanks for all the input.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So finally got around to changing this out. On the intake bottom I noticed a light coating of oil on the inside of the three intakes on the driver side and some light oil coking around where the seals mate up. Passenger side was clean as a whistle. Anything I should be worried about in this situation? 2012 jkur. Head replacement problem for 2012s was repaired 2014.

Apologies if my terminology is off I am a pilot by trade, can explain jet engines, automotive not so much. Thanks.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaPP View Post
So finally got around to changing this out. On the intake bottom I noticed a light coating of oil on the inside of the three intakes on the driver side and some light oil coking around where the seals mate up. Passenger side was clean as a whistle. Anything I should be worried about in this situation? 2012 jkur. Head replacement problem for 2012s was repaired 2014.

Apologies if my terminology is off I am a pilot by trade, can explain jet engines, automotive not so much. Thanks.
Check your oil every 2k see if your using a quart of oil. If so use 10w30 motor oil instead of 5w30 as recondmended. My 2012 has this issue.

post #15 of 15 Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Will do. Didn't seem to be using that much as it usually was only slightly down due to oil cooler leaking. I will keep an eye on it thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode