'16 Willys Wheeler Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

'16 Willys Wheeler Build

I've been benefitting by the knowledge and insights of the people on this forum (and others) for a long time and realize that it's only fair to contribute, as well. So, with that said, this thread is dedicated to my on-going build for my 2016 Willys Wheeler 2-door. I've made a number of modifications since I got it in Nov. '16 (after saying goodbye to my '98 TJ) so there will be a fair amount of catch-up in my posts below showing modifications to-date. So, to start, here it is stock about two weeks after I bought it and after a very small mud puddle:
Attached Images

Rhino 2016 JK WILLYS Wheeler
24W Pkg, Hardtop & Bestop TrektopNX, DV8 Rock Sliders, Barricade Extreme HD Front Bumper, Barricade 12,000lb Winch (w/Synthetic Line), Delta 3088 Xenon Bumper Fogs, KC HiLites 6" Apollo Drivers, KC HiLites 3" Square Floods, Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Pod, Kicker Hideaway Sub, Axial LED Tail Lights, Teraflex Tailgate Table, and Garvin Adventure Rack.

Last edited by 16WillyKY; 07-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-02-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The holidays brought on a few niceties such as Mopar Door Entry Guards, a Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Pod, Rugged Ridge Black Lug Nuts, a Rugged Ridge Locking Gas Cap, and a Teraflex Tailgate Table. The next big add-on was a Garvin Adventure Rack (to support the Smittybilt Overlander Tent I have).
Attached Images

24W Pkg, Hardtop & Bestop TrektopNX, DV8 Rock Sliders, Barricade Extreme HD Front Bumper, Barricade 12,000lb Winch (w/Synthetic Line), Delta 3088 Xenon Bumper Fogs, KC HiLites 6" Apollo Drivers, KC HiLites 3" Square Floods, Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Pod, Kicker Hideaway Sub, Axial LED Tail Lights, Teraflex Tailgate Table, and Garvin Adventure Rack.

Last edited by 16WillyKY; 07-03-2017 at 01:31 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Added some DV8 rock sliders.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Since I don't have a great way to remove my hardtop (I'd go the hoist route but, in some sort of strange sequence of events that I'm not sure how it happens (but not my area of expertise) I have no studs running through the majority of the garage ceiling) I decided to add a Bestop Trektop NX so I can go topless spring through fall without needing help. I love this top (especially the flip-top sunroof)!
Attached Images

post #5 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just thought I'd show the setup of the Smittybilt Overlander Tent on the Garvin Adventure Rack.
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Added a couple KC HiLites 3" Square Lights (Flood).
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I added a Kicker Hideaway Sub & Amp Combo (the wiring was a PITA since I tapped into the rear wiring) and a Surco Hardtop Carrier to hold my hard top while the Bestop Trektop NX is on.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I added a Barricade Extreme HD Bumper because I planned to add a winch. I ended up going with the Barricade 12,000lb Winch. I don't plan on needing a winch incredibly often but the 12,000lb and 9,500lb wireless were the same price and I don't trust that the wireless remote would work when I need it to so why not get the extra power? I also went synthetic since I didn't want to carry around a cable dampener or worry about burrs.
Attached Images

post #9 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Also, I replaced the fairlead you see above with a hawse I got from Amazon. I hit it with some truck liner spray from Lowe's and it looks like it came with it all along. If you also look at the photo above, I added Delta 3088 Series 3.5 Xenon Bumper Fog Lights when I changed bumpers.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I threw in some JL Audio Coaxial Speakers into the rollbar to try to ramp up my sound quality in the Jeep. While they sound great, I haven't been able to actually tell much difference from the OEM speakers. I added Axial LED Smoke Tail Lights, as well. I plan to add a third light with the same style.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I talked myself into a dual battery system because I plan to do more overland camping and really liked the idea of having an auxiliary battery I could run my lights and any other "niceties" off of without risking running my standard battery down. Plus, I figured it was a good idea to run the winch off a better CCA battery. So I went with a Rugged Ridge Dual Battery Tray and a Rugged Ridge Dual Battery Relay Kit. The Dual Battery Tray install went pretty well:
Attached Images

post #12 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The Rugged Ridge Dual Battery Relay Kit, however, was a different deal...the mounting location provided by the write-up wasn't aligned. After speaking to Rugged Ridge reps, they couldn't figure it out either. If you have nothing going on, go try to search out that specific kit on a 2012+ Wrangler and you'll find nothing because, apparently, there was some sort of miscommunication between the two. I ended up fabricating my own mount by cutting a piece of sheet metal (shown in the pic below) but even then, my isolator was WAY too hot even when in the neutral (off) position so I removed it. I re-checked all the wiring and I'm not certain what's wrong so it's sitting off the Jeep at the moment. If you have dealt with the kit on a 2012+ JK please feel free to reach out and tell me what stupid thing I'm doing that's causing the isolator to stay so hot.
Attached Images

post #13 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I'm hitting up my first trail this coming weekend so I plan on throwing these Rugged Ridge Magnetic Panels on the Willy to keep my Rhino nice and intact for a bit longer...Sorry, with the color it's a bit hard to see where the panels are.
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My upcoming modifications include:
  • CB Radio & Antenna/Mount
  • Seat Covers
  • Smittybilt Air Compressor

I'm also planning to do a 2.5" lift soon. I've pored over the opinions throughout this and other forums and I've narrowed down to either the Rubicon Express 2.5" Standard Coil Lift w/Monotubes (RE7121) or the TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit w/9550 shocks (1251002).

The pros I see to the RE lift are that it's about $80 cheaper (including not needing an exhaust spacer) and the shocks are relabeled Bilsteins which, if I'm being honest, I don't have a reference for but everyone on here seems to see them as phenomenal so I'll assume that's the case, too. Also, from what I understand, I won't have to do anything extra (exhaust extension, drivetrain, etc.) once I put this lift kit on.

The con, if I'm to believe what I've read on the forums, is that I won't get as much flex with this kit as the Teraflex but, as I plan to do some off-roading but not much actual rock-climbing, I don't think that'll matter much. But feel free to correct me if this is a bigger deal than I'm making it.

The pros of the TeraFlex lift are the rave reviews it gets across the board and, if I decide, I can go with just the kit w/out shocks (use OEM extensions) then add Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks a bit later.

The con would be the extra money (including an exhaust spacer).

Either way, I recognize that my JK spends 80%+ of the time on the road and not off-road so I want to make sure that my lift doesn't sacrifice ride quality on the road.

Regardless of which lift kit I go with, I plan to stick with my Willys Wheels for the foreseeable future so I'll throw 1.75" spacers (probably Spidertrax, but maybe Rugged Ridge) on to achieve my 4.5" backspace.

Anyone who is running either of those setups, feel free to share your experience so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode