Another Spun Rod Bearing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another Spun Rod Bearing

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 2008 JK that recently spun the #3 rod bearing. Long story short, even though I have a lifetime ENGINE and powertrain warranty Chrysler wont pay the claim. Even the dealership can't believe it! Stay tuned for the saga......Get your popcorn ready

My question is, whom else has spun a rod bearing? How many miles, in or out of warranty? What did Chrysler do if anything? I heard there was a petition about this going around, anyone know where to find it?

I know there have been alot of threads and topics on here about this common problem that Chrysler doesn't want to talk about...

I appreciate all the help and feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Why won't they cover it?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

How often did change your oil? Did you go by time or actual mileage?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2017, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
How often did change your oil? Did you go by time or actual mileage?
^this.
You'll have to have all service records from a jeep service center or receipts/records of every oil change and at what mileage they were performed to have them 'honor' that wrrnty . Otherwise , they have disputability of not following the directed maintenance standards compliance that the wrrnty agreement identifies.

I,too,am interested in your oil maintenance records and intervals. Are you original owner/buyer @myJK ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am the second owner this Jeep, I bought it one year old with ~ 18k miles on it.

I change the oil every 3k miles and have the documentation to prove it. Chrysler never even asked for any of that, they just outright denied the claim.

The claim was denied because "the vehicle has been modified". However this is only an Engine Powertrain warranty, nothing more. The engine has never been modified! I even use mopar air filters. They saw my 2" lift and just denied the claim. When I questioned the impact of the lift on the engine failure they admitted there was none and it had nothing to do with the engine failure. So why are you denying my claim, "the vehicle has been modified".

I know there have been a lot of threads on here and other jeep forums about spun bearings, especially in the 2007 and 2008 motors. Who else spun a bearing? Was it warrantied? Did you pay?

Who else had any type of warranty work done?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

The lifetime power train warranty is not transferable. Number 1 cylinder has been involved in a majority of the failures. The average repair cost has been $4000 +-. Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by myJK View Post
I am the second owner this Jeep, I bought it one year old with ~ 18k miles on it.

I change the oil every 3k miles and have the documentation to prove it. Chrysler never even asked for any of that, they just outright denied the claim.

The claim was denied because "the vehicle has been modified". However this is only an Engine Powertrain warranty, nothing more. The engine has never been modified! I even use mopar air filters. They saw my 2" lift and just denied the claim. When I questioned the impact of the lift on the engine failure they admitted there was none and it had nothing to do with the engine failure. So why are you denying my claim, "the vehicle has been modified".

I know there have been a lot of threads on here and other jeep forums about spun bearings, especially in the 2007 and 2008 motors. Who else spun a bearing? Was it warrantied? Did you pay?

Who else had any type of warranty work done?
They do this simply to avoid having to pay out thousands of dollars so it makes sense on their part.
With that said they could claim something stupid as a lift will cause more drag causing more stress on the engine. Warranty companies love to say crap like that.
double check under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act if they are even legally allowed to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The lifetime power train warranty is not transferable. Number 1 cylinder has been involved in a majority of the failures. The average repair cost has been $4000 +-. Good luck.
Might have a different warranty though. but if not it does sound like you're beat OP. Sorry to hear. Good time to finance a Hemi swap!

This is my Signature
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Granite Guru

I have an 08 that I am the original owner of and had the dealer do the oil services. Mine spun the rod bearings at 11k miles. The dealer replaced the engine with a short block under warranty. 14K miles later the rod bearings spun again. The dealer again replaced the engine under warranty, this time with a long block. They never even questioned about it and mine is lifted 4.5" inches running 37's. I drove it home from the dealer and immediately pulled the engine, sold it and installed an 6.0 LS.

Last edited by jschmidt; 06-30-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info on Magnusun-Moss Warranty. I'm going to look into it.

The lifetime warranty was transferable as it was part of my package when I purchased the Jeep, the presence of warranty was never questioned, just the claim.

Yes, Chrysler knows there are problems with this engine and is just looking for ways to get out of paying the claim. Dealer quoted me $9500 for new long block with install.....

Who else has spun a rod bearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode