Help in deciding the correct 3.5 to 4.5 lift for our 13 JKU - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-27-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Help in deciding the correct 3.5 to 4.5 lift for our 13 JKU

We recently just added another JK, this one is a 4 door Rubicon. I know there are many threads on lifts, I have been reading and researching for months. Just want some opinions on what y'all are running. The build for this JKU will consist of 37's (Toyo 37x12.50 17). I read about upgrading the front axles and will add C gussets, big brake setup, and regear to 4.88's. This is a DD and must have good highway manors due to we take it from the Florida panhandle to North Georgia mountains. It's on the road 85% and on trails 15%. We do mostly trails, no major rock crawling. My first choice was the Rock Krawler mid arm 3.5 X factor lift. But the wife doesn't like the flat fenders so I got to keep the original JK fenders. So I believe this setup would give me rubbing problems. The second choice is the AVE 4.5" lift. My third choice is a 4" Teraflex. I'm running a 3" Teraflex with 35's on our 2 door JK with no complaints. Thanks in advance for any information to help me with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb80 View Post
We recently just added another JK, this one is a 4 door Rubicon. I know there are many threads on lifts, I have been reading and researching for months. Just want some opinions on what y'all are running. The build for this JKU will consist of 37's (Toyo 37x12.50 17). I read about upgrading the front axles and will add C gussets, big brake setup, and regear to 4.88's. This is a DD and must have good highway manors due to we take it from the Florida panhandle to North Georgia mountains. It's on the road 85% and on trails 15%. We do mostly trails, no major rock crawling. My first choice was the Rock Krawler mid arm 3.5 X factor lift. But the wife doesn't like the flat fenders so I got to keep the original JK fenders. So I believe this setup would give me rubbing problems. The second choice is the AVE 4.5" lift. My third choice is a 4" Teraflex. I'm running a 3" Teraflex with 35's on our 2 door JK with no complaints. Thanks in advance for any information to help me with this.
What you want and what you do contradict each other.

The amount of work needed for 37s doesn't add up in my book if you don't off road often. Granted you can fit 37s technically without a lift. (remove fenders, and I believe spacers are needed) but to do all that work, spend all that money and make your jeep that much crappier on the road when 85% of your driving is highway? I don't recommend it.

This is my Signature
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Very generally, you will need 4" of bumpstop to clear 37" tires

So you can decide how much lift you want to do based on that.

To put another way, how much compression travel (if any) are you willing to lose to be a little lower. Keeping in mind advertised lift height is just an average, and yours will vary based on options on your rig.

Also know that, most coil packages are designed to level the jeep. That is the actual lift in the front is more than the actual rear lift.

A 4" lift brings all sorts of other issues, such as: camber, exhaust clearance, etc...

Honesty, flat fenders make all this so much easier. But I understand needing to keep mama happy.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM
pvanfab.com

You can always control the rubbing with the proper amount of bumpstop. Usually the amount is the same as the lift height= 3" lift equals 3" bumpstop.
At 4" lift height you will probably need to replace both driveshafts sooner than later, fyi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb80 View Post
I think the AEV 3.5" lift will be perfect. All you need to do to run 37s is add one inch of bump stop to the rear. Depending on where you buy the lift, you can substitute the AEV bump stops from the 4.5" kit. Or just add one inch of bump stops. There are plenty of ready made bump stop kits that can do this.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Definitely go with the 3.5" lift. 3.5 with factory fenders is perfect for 37s, I'm running 35s on a 2.5" and it looks and functions great. The AEV is a very high quality kit and the multi rate coils will give you a great on road ride.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode