• 2 Post By TRD
  • 1 Post By Sick13JKUR
  • 1 Post By TeraFlex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Falcon 3.1 Piggyback Shocks any good?

Hello all,

It has been a while but I am still here. I am looking for advice on whether or not to get a set of 3.1 Falcon shocks for my JKU. I have head the "negatives"about the mounting location of the rear resi's but I also have seen the video of Dennis beating the Sh*t out of them and they held up phenomenally.
My questions are:
1) How will they ride on road?
I like when the Jeep feels like a sports car on road but hate the annoying teeth jars when I hit a bump.
2) How will they perform off road?
I love to crawl in the rocks but I would also like to be able to go over 15 on a washboard road without feeling every little bump.
3) How hard / will it make a difference to upgrade them to the quick adjustable 3.3's?

Main reason I am asking about these specific shocks is that I have found a GREAT deal on a set that someone bought and never installed on their JKU.
Jeeper02 likes this.

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I almost put a bacon option... lol

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick13JKUR View Post
I almost put a bacon option... lol
Well I was almost going to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Well I was almost going to vote.
Uncle Sam,
You are in the same terrain as me... What would you do?

post #6 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 12:58 PM
TRD
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hello all,

It has been a while but I am still here. I am looking for advice on whether or not to get a set of 3.1 Falcon shocks for my JKU. I have head the "negatives"about the mounting location of the rear resi's but I also have seen the video of Dennis beating the Sh*t out of them and they held up phenomenally.
My questions are:
1) How will they ride on road?
I like when the Jeep feels like a sports car on road but hate the annoying teeth jars when I hit a bump.
2) How will they perform off road?
I love to crawl in the rocks but I would also like to be able to go over 15 on a washboard road without feeling every little bump.
3) How hard / will it make a difference to upgrade them to the quick adjustable 3.3's?

Main reason I am asking about these specific shocks is that I have found a GREAT deal on a set that someone bought and never installed on their JKU.
I'd recommend breaking your needs down into three categories:
1. Handling
2. Washboard/small bumps
3. Big bumps

Handling should be the responsibility of the sway bar. If you try to make the shocks responsible for handling you'll never be happy with the ride quality. The same forces that gives you good handling also makes it harsh on small bumps.

Shocks that are good on washboard are often very soft and don't do well on big bumps. It takes a good quality shock and good quality tuning to make them good at both washboard and big bumps.

If you want the best performance possible on washboard and big bumps and are unwilling to make trade offs, then get an IBP shock with DSC Adjuster. If you don't need the best then I'd recommend high quality adjustable shocks. And your last resort can be a highly tuned, non-adjustable shock. Anything less than a tuned remote reservoir shock won't even begin to accomplish what you're asking for.

-Ryan @

424-377-0808
Pre-Tuned
&
Shocks

Coilovers, IBP's, Bypasses & Adjustable Shocks In Stock
post #7 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Uncle Sam,
You are in the same terrain as me... What would you do?
Like TRD said you can't have the best of all worlds.

But if you get some adjustable remote reservoir shocks will you remember to set them differently for the trail use?

I know that dennis beat them up on the rocks but I would still be leary. I would lean towards a fox adjustable or a king adjustable with remote reservoir so that you could mount them up out of the way.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would like to see how the 3.1 compares to the Fox remote res shocks.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bradhilldesign
Falcon 3.1 Piggyback Shocks any good?

I have the 3.3, which I love on the road. I haven't tested them off-road yet. Just installed this week. There is a big difference in feel through the steering wheel and in my seat between the 1, 2 and 3 setting.

With the type of conditions you mentioned it sounds like you'd benefit from an adjustable shock.

Like most people, I'm worried about the Falcon rear resi location. I've heard Teraflex is making a skid to alleviate concerns. But, the shocks are designed to take a hit and even rotate a bit. The out-boarding of the lower mounting location helps keep it out of harms way. I'm bound to hit them eventually. I hope they hold up. If not, I'll be using that 3 year warranty.

2012 Crush Rubicon Unlimited
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhilldesign View Post
I have the 3.3, which I love on the road. I haven't tested them off-road yet. Just installed this week. There is a big difference in feel through the steering wheel and in my seat between the 1, 2 and 3 setting.

With the type of conditions you mentioned it sounds like you'd benefit from an adjustable shock.

Like most people, I'm worried about the Falcon rear resi location. I've heard Teraflex is making a skid to alleviate concerns. But, the shocks are designed to take a hit and even rotate a bit. The out-boarding of the lower mounting location helps keep it out of harms way. I'm bound to hit them eventually. I hope they hold up. If not, I'll be using that 3 year warranty.
Thank you for the feedback... I've decided to give them a shot as the set I found is $600 New-in-box for the 3.1's and I believe I can do the 3.3 upgrade for around $300-350...

post #11 of 14 Old 07-03-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got them installed and wow... These things soak up the road and potholes like they aren't even there... cornering stability has greatly increased and I didn't notice the wind pushing me all over the road either. 800 mile trip from Colorado Springs was much less tiring than the trip up on the bilsteins!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Let us know how well they work in the rocks when you get a chance to get out.

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Let us know how well they work in the rocks when you get a chance to get out.
Beat the crap out of them @ Pyeatt Draw(5 out of 5) in Payson this weekend and they might as well have been skid plates... NOT A SCRATCH ON THEM and they never made me get hung up or anything...

As far as feel, the shocks soaked up the rocks very well. Even on some of the 2-3 foot drops the Jeep never "jarred" us like it did with the Bilsteins on it. Very controlled in the smaller river rock as well and a dream to drive through the washboards and ruts on our way out to the camping spot. No annoying "vibrator voice" when traveling over 30 mph on the washboards.

PS. I run 35" D rated General Grabber AT2s and I only aired down to 20psi for this trip... My 20 month old daughter had a blast and my 8 year old didn't complain about the "bumpy trail" like she usually does.

Overall : I would buy these again in a heartbeat and I am so happy that I found them for what I did new-in-box... The MSRP that Falcon wants for these is still a bargain I feel there is no better shock in that price range based on what I have ridden in.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 06:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Got them installed and wow... These things soak up the road and potholes like they aren't even there... cornering stability has greatly increased and I didn't notice the wind pushing me all over the road either. 800 mile trip from Colorado Springs was much less tiring than the trip up on the bilsteins!
Thanks for buying Falcons and posting this feedback!
Sick13JKUR likes this.

801-713-3314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode