Sell or Keep 2008 JKUR w/135,000 miles. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sell or Keep 2008 JKUR w/135,000 miles.

Hello all,

I bought my JKUR new in 2008 for a killer deal. 28K our the door, 150 miles on it because it was a dealer transfer.
I am the original owner, and it came with the life time warranty, although it's probably voided.

Here's my dilemma. I have wheeled the hell out of this Jeep. I maintain the hell out of it too, but at 135K, stuff is starting to wear out. I installed a complete Teraflex long arm pre-runner kit last year to replace all the RK stuff I wore out. The shitty bilt bumper is getting rusty and has been straightened numerous times, the XRC8500 winch is looking pretty ragged and will need a new synthetic line soon, the body has numerous small wounds due to me actually using as a Jeep was intended.

I don't have much time to go out specifically to go wheeling. I also live and work in the woods, so what many may consider a 4x4 adventure, sometimes is just what I call a commute to a job site.

Even though I can make this Jeep last another 100K miles, should I? Is it time to sell? If I do sell, I may wait until the new JL pick-up is available to replace it. I can drive my wife's Hemi Commander (also thinking of selling) and she can drive our economy car (Mini Cooper S, also should sell)

The decision I have to make is, keep my JK as a toy and drive something else for work, or get a new JL and drive my toy to work. How long do other daily driver JK owners keep theirs for?

Even though I have loved having a Jeep on 35's with really great suspension, I may keep the next one close to stock. My Rubicon made it 95% of where I wanted it to stock, and used a lot less parts, and fuel than it does now.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Keep it. You'll miss the 35s. It's paid for. Drive it to work until it's unreliable. Then fix it and sell it

Last edited by Tierhog; 06-27-2017 at 02:33 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Rock God

im in a similar dilemma with my 2009 JKRU but decided im going to hold on to it till the new JL comes out. In the mean time ill have to cut back on the mods and the random spending on Jeep parts till i know the JL pickup is what i want next.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Wheeler

That's a tough one. I've gotten really attached to my Jeep and couldn't see myself without it.It's my first ever 4 wheel drive vehicle so its my baby. I also live in AZ so there is some great wheeling out here and opportunities to get out and crawl come up every weekend. If you think you will get more seat time in another vehicle other than your jeep I would sell it. Find something that you will get good use out of whether it be a sports car or a new work truck. Good luck with your choice, I bet it isn't easy.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Rock God

well I currently have my 2008 sitting in my garage needing new stuff. I will fix it as I get the time, meanwhile I drive the new vehicle to work. worked out very well for me that way. I thought about selling it but I like it and still want to do a few things to it

so my answer is retire the '08 to toy status, get something new for work.

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It has the lifetime warranty, but.....

I wonder if it's worth anything due to the mods I have done. The worn out stuff I worry about is the engine and transmission. I am afraid to do a compression check, I have a bad feeling it is loosing some compression. I am also pretty sure I either have a bad throwout bearing again, or there is a bearing making noise in the tranny.

Anyone with extensive mods on a 2008 with the lifetime powertrain have any luck getting major stuff replaced?

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

I'd keep the JK and use it as a weekend toy. Then if it breaks down, you have another way to get to work worry free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode