Trading in the 5.0 for a JKU, have questions. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

9 MO. UPDATE! Traded in the 5.0 for a JKU

UPDATE AT BOTTOM: ABOUT A MONTH AFTER THIS POST I PULLED THE TRIGGER ON A WILLYS UPDATING AFTER 9 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP.

Greetings,

Traded the wifes aging Sonata on the redesigned Compass Trailhawk a few weeks ago as it was the best fit of price/features/tech/styling in it's segment, now I am contemplating trading my 13 Mustang GT for a 17 JKU, but have a few questions.

First how is the JK's on road durability/reliability as a daily driver. The mustang has had so many things come up that I feel shouldn't during the life of a 4.5yr old car (not related to my modifications)and of course even when it was under warranty they find a way to exclude it as normal wear and tear etc., along with the Ford quality or lack thereof there's quite a few things that have broke/wore out well before their time. I know wheeling and abusing will speed that process, but I am asking just as an on road daily driver how it holds up? I feel If I break something wheeling it's my own fault and not a manufacturer issue. But want something I can just turn the key and drive with no worries.

I am in Baton Rouge, LA and with our terrain as far as I know that's available to off roading consisting of mud, mud, and mud I don't anticipate any rock crawling. I think a simple 3" lift and 35's will be my setup and maybe adding a heavy duty trackbar also, still looking at various lifts and their components. But I see so many mixed answers on 35's on the Dana 30 front. Given Louisiana's terrain and it primarily being my daily driver with offroading limited to being when I find somewhere to go will the Dana 30 with 35's be okay for my anticipated use?

Also, my desired options mechanical wise are an automatic with 3.73's so I won't have to regear for the 35's, am I correct in that, at least for a daily driver? I also would like the TrackLok rear, and it seems between the 3 Jeep dealers in Baton Rouge I can only find about 6 total that have it on top of the 3.73's, everything is 3.21s. I also can't really find any info on TracLoks effectiveness/use, sales people aren't very knowledgeable so far. Is it worth hunting for one that has it, or is it not that useful over the standard torque vectoring system, is it selectable via a switch or full time, and if on a switch do I still have the torque vectoring when not activated as I think it may only be active when in 4L but again can't find too much info related directly to the JK's application just FCA's in general. Being that I don't plan on adding true lockers myself until well after the warranty runs out (if ever) being a financed daily driver didn't know if it was worth it or if it's effectiveness was negligible as I don't think it's a true locker. As well coming from a drag track background I would assume the "trackLok" is a clutch type diff, and I'm concerned about it's wear out time/longevity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Coming from a solid axle 5.0 I get the limitations of the Torsen diff I have for daily driving and the chatter it could cause, but completely unfamiliar with Jeep's TracLok system and it's behavior, use, durability, downsides.

After having a modified mustang, I'm looking forward to having something I can just drive without having to constantly monitor every single gauge and deal with constant worries of a modified powertrain just to run to the grocery store.

Bonus points for any locals who have suggestions on a shop to install the lift and what they might have paid for theirs whether just labor or turnkey. I know the usual shops but don't really know who might be out there otherwise. Baton Rouge has no shortage of bro trucks so somebody has to be doing all these lifts.

I appreciate it!
Thanks
Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by X1eric; 04-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

1. Mine is my DD. Had it for 14 months. No issues whatsoever and took it on a couple road trips last year.

2. I have a 2.5" lift with 35s on 3.21. You will get all KINDS of answers as to whether or not to re-gear. I am not planning to any time soon. My Jeep looks badass as is and runs just fine. I'm not trying to win any races, obviously. Would I like to see the MPGs rise a bit more? Sure.

3. My house is stocked with a '16 JKU and a '17 Mustang GT. Why not keep both?!

2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Rock God

As a daily driver they are fine and will hold up well. I have a 2007 jku that has what is in my signature as in tires and lift with 5.13's in it with 105,000 miles on it with no problems. Then I installed the LS

You may even want to think about getting a hold of RPMextreme and talk to Jon about an older model with there in house LS install with what you want on it. May be able to spend about the same amount as a new one and have it all!

Mainly because you are coming from the mustang with the v8 and going to a v6. You will notice the power difference.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

totally off track....

I was thinking of adding a Mustang of your year range to the stable. Haven't had a sports car in a while. Would be mostly weekend and track day stuff....

Have not yet begun to geek out on the Mustang boards. But I do note that those things have crashed pretty hard in terms of resale value. (perhaps not the best term when describing a mustang) Seems like its very doable to get into a decent solid-axle GT for about 20Gs cash from a private party.

So tell me a little bit more about what is breaking and what is generally pissing you off about the car.

To the topic, the challenge of a Jeep is similar to the challenge of a sports car as a daily driver. You mod it to be better at it's intended purpose and then it becomes shit to daily drive. Our Unlimited is a pretty mild build. Drives nice enough to daily drive, but I prefer our Expedition more as the bride won't let me touch her Grand Cherokee. :-)

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #5 of 27 Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Keep the Mustang, you will be disappointed in the wrangler. 3.73 with 35's will be a complete dog compared to what you are use to. The JK has quirks from death wobble, to electrical gremlins, leaky tops, and a noisy ride. Lifting the jeep only adds to potential issues hoping up. If you are going to play in the mud buy an old pick up because it is just going to tear up a new jeep.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Wheeler

Never owned a Mustang, was never a Ford guy (although I owned about 5 of them over the years), never had any luck with them, I considered them the poorest built of the US Auto makers....my experience and my friends only, your results may vary :-)
Had 4 Jeeps now and I find them to be bullet-proof, lifted or not.

Dump the Mustang, buy the Jeep. Modify and enjoy!
post #7 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Love my 2015 JKU as a daily driver. It has a 2.5" lift with 35's and 3.21 gears, and like Jeepgirl I'm not planning to re gear any time soon. It is pretty slow, but then again, I remind myself that it is a Jeep. I do know speed though, as I also have a 2017 GT350 in the garage!
The D30 is fine for your use. I've been wheeling my D30 fairly hard in the rocks with 35s for a year or so. I know I will probably eventually snap an axle shaft but for now its had no problems.
Attached Images

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG

Last edited by SilverBulletJKU; 06-20-2017 at 07:39 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Wheeler

My DD is a 2015 JKU Rubicon on 37's with 4.10's. Suspension is 3.5" JKS JSpec lift with Fox shocks. Yeti steering system with Fox ATS stabilizer. Currently at 52,000 miles. The steering gear box has finally worn out and will be replaced this week with a PSC XD. It's been a great vehicle. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Attached Images

If you can't save the world, keep both hands on the camera.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

If you think your Mustang has problems you'll hate the Jeep. Wranglers are junk. They are built barely adequate stock. When you lift and add bigger tires everything goes to shit. Everything in the steering system is shit, brakes are garbage, cooling system likes to leak. I have had Fords forever with no problems other than minor issues covered by warranty.

All that being said Wranglers are a blast and as long as you have the time and money they are easy to work on yourself. 35s and 3.73s with an automatic are fine. It still scoots pretty well for a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #10 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletJKU View Post
Love my 2015 JKU as a daily driver. It has a 2.5" lift with 35's and 3.21 gears, and like Jeepgirl I'm not planning to re gear any time soon. It is pretty slow, but then again, I remind myself that it is a Jeep. I do know speed though, as I also have a 2017 GT350 in the garage!
The D30 is fine for your use. I've been wheeling my D30 fairly hard in the rocks with 35s for a year or so. I know I will probably eventually snap an axle shaft but for now its had no problems.
The Jealousy is strong...
post #11 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Working in the Commercial Construction Industry and an impending tropical storm I've been more than busy the last few days.
Thanks for the input so far. I know I may fall more into the hated mall crawler category but honestly from the local friends I have with 4x4 vehicles and ATV's the few places we have that I could go legally are according to them just mud/water bogs that are ridiculously crowded when open and unless you have a serious rig they tell me your in trouble especially from under water ruts from purpose built trucks that you cant see until you go off and submerge, doesn't seem to be anything in between.

At the end of the day, logically I probably need a truck, but I don't want a truck, it's Louisiana everyone has a truck. I've always had rather illogical or more unique vehicles than just an average Camry (no offense to Camry owners) and I just can't see myself in a plain ol' truck. Plus there are luxuries/options/features that I have no problem doing without in a JKU, that in a truck would be a must have. When you start optioning out a truck it gets expensive quick and you still can't take the roof off. Last few vehicles were 5.0 currently, Challenger before that, Autocross built Acura RSX with a 9k rpm redline, Evolution VIII...a few normal vehicles in between.

I'm sure anything would be a shock performance wise other than another mustang,camaro, vette...I currently run 12.30's on just basic bolt ons and 285 street tires. On a day to day I don't use all the power it has, same way I wouldn't use all the capability a Jeep offers...but I know that if I ever need it, it's there. Seeing as Louisiana's summer lasts 11 months of the year I see the top being down on a jeep more often than the mustang is above 4k rpms.

I mainly was just inquiring how the JK did as a daily driver with an appropriate well designed lift and 35's. While mixed, I think I have an general consensus. Also a proper lift that keeps the geometry close to stock as possible, upgraded beefier trackbar tightened at every oil change, and an upgraded stabilizer...would that not prevent death wobble, at least until random ball joints start going bad?

I'd love to keep the Mustang and add a JK but 3 notes/insurances in a 2 person house is a no go. Also the mustang is going downhill and is just so damn hard to work on at home from an access standpoint it's like I need a lift for just the simplest things. To get it on jackstands I have to drive on 2x12s, to get clearance for ramps, to be able to get a jack under the subframe, to be able to put it on jackstands, and to have any room underneath I have to put it much higher than I am comfortable trusting jackstands with. It seems like the Jeep is much easier access wise for a roadside or self repair. The mustang left us stranded in a gas station parking lot 3 hours from home and without all the tools and above...there was nothing I could do though it would have been a relatively doable but sketchy repair just enough to get us home.

I am currently looking for an Unlimited with the 24S Package and 3.73's...still can't seem to find info on the rear TracLok option and its real world worthiness, but being it's only a $495 option seems like it would be worth having some lockability if needed. I plan to add my own Katzkins later.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Tracloc is just a limited slip differential. Its not a locker.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Trading in the 5.0 for a JKU, have questions.

I have a 16 JKU as my DD with 2.5 lift and 35s. I regeared from 3.21 to 4.56 and put a Eaton Trutrac in the rear. I left the D30 open as I plan to upgrade to a D44 and will put a elocker or another Trutrac up front.

I love it as a DD and I like to go more on dirt roads and trails. I don't do rocks or deep mud, due to be partially handicrapped. If you like to upgrade to better parts and work on your own vehicle... Jeep is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Tracloc is just a limited slip differential. Its not a locker.
That's what I couldn't find a simple cut and dry answer on. Even through Jeep's own vague literature, and salesman I asked were like ummm...ummm...welll....

So is it an open rear diff by default that has the brake lock to transfer power and then traclok is a true LSD and the the TrueLok on the rubicon is an actual Locker? I bow down to your Jeepery...Thanks!
post #15 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not sure where you're at in La. but, Catahoula Recreation in Sicily Island isn't a mud pit. Great wheeling.

Catahoula Recreation, Off-Road Racing, Rock Climbing, Trails for ORV, Jeeps, Side by Side and Dirt Bikes, catahoularecreationoffroadpark.com

Kevin
post #16 of 27 Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Wheeler

I would test drive a couple before buying. See if they have one that they'll let you take farther than around the block.

Have you ridden in a lifted JKU on 35's? If not, I'm in the area, we can set up a test ride (ASSuming you can drive a manual). Mines on 35's with a 3" lift, have a budy on 37's and a couple more that are leveled with stock rubber or slightly larger than stock. All are happy with how their rides perform, it's all in your planned use. It's not my primary vehicle so it didn't stay stock for very long. I may have thought twice about the lift and 35's if it was....eh, probably not.

When life doesn't get in the way we try to make to Catahoula Recreation, Off-Road Racing, Rock Climbing, Trails for ORV, Jeeps, Side by Side and Dirt Bikes, catahoularecreationoffroadpark.com. It's around 2 1/2 hours north of BR.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #17 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a handful of times driven a family members 2012 with a 2" budget boost and 33's, though it is still on 3.21 gears and an auto it wasn't terrible, and unless merging on a short interstate ramp, to me felt like a normal vehicle in terms of acceleration punch, though I am jaded with mine and it causes pretty much everything to feel the same.

I sincerely appreciate the offer, and will message you If I decide to take you up on it. It seems Jeep has the same sense of community helpfulness as the mustang crowd. We can't wave at each other though or else we'd just have to drive with our hand constantly up from so many.
My Acura before was a stick, and in wonderful Baton Rouge traffic made me decide to go back to autos, so since then my last two have been auto's and my knee/ankle is grateful. Also the wife can't drive stick so I've been told it's out of the question.

The only manual Jeep I have ever driven was super brief and it was an 08 i believe from memory, but it was on what had to be 40's with what i vaguely recall as a 4" lift and body spacers, it was a friend of a friend blocking me in and told me to take it to the store instead of moving to let me out, and at 5'11 it was hard to get in with no grab handles and I remember asking him why it body rolled while going straight and he told me about the spacers being there before the lift and needing to remove them...it was interesting to say the least.

One of the dealers does have a 3" lift 35 tired JKU with 3.73, and auto on lot, which is exactly what I am looking for and have found several but its about $10k over the MSRP for the "add-ons" and doubt they'd let me drive it more than around the block.

Am I wrong in my research that a lift and wheels/tires cost nowhere near that to do on my own. And who in BR is the best for the lift install, although rather mechanically inclined being my first Jeep and unfamiliar with the platform I have no issues with having a shop install, but know there has to me another name in BR besides Kirk's, feel free to pm me if you do not want to say anything publicly. I also may just do a 2" budget with 35's and flat fenders, then eventually do a full 3" kit.

I will definitely look into Catahoula if I do make the purchase, I heard the name before but thought it was farther.
Again I appreciate it guys and gals.
post #18 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

The dealers rape you on mods, Typically basement quality products at penthouse pricing. But then again most people look at the monthly payment not overall cost which is dumb. Financing cars is dumb too but I understand we have to do it so the big companies can continue to sell products to people that like to live their lives in debt and rarely ever own anything. Thats another topic though.

You talk about tires, and lifts but seem to resist gears? Makes no sense. I get that you cant see the gears and they are expensive so people that care about looks don't want to spend the money and do whatever they can to justify not putting proper gears in for the tire size they run. They will dwell on their lifts and talk about lifts like they their are going to help with performance or ride quality. Daily drivers don't need 3"-4" of lift to run 35" tires. Flat fenders and proper backspaced wheels will allow you to run a daily driver on the stock suspension. Even if you go off road and do full on rock crawling the lift is a secondary concern with tires, locker and GEARS giving you the best performance gains off road. The lift is there basically to give you more articulation room for the big tires. Generally just adding lift for the sake of lift is a bad thing and only leads to a less stable jeep both on road on and off. Only to where you are high speed off road running (35 mph down a gravel road is not high speed) is where you really need to address the suspension in terms of proper travel for the shocks to work properly.This is not a place where you are going to get a bolt on lift kit to be effective.

You are going to find you will have tire envy if you get 35's. The mall crawler or look at me crowd build for attention and a jeep on 35's is kinda generic. You can throw a cheap lift on and some big light bars with lots of bolt on bling and be part of the "JK crowd". If thats your thing then cool, its your ride not mine. A stock jeep should do what you want and more. Even a mild tire upgrade to 33's with 3.73 will further increase your traction off road and get you more places. Save you money and get you better fuel economy. I agree with you a pick up would be a better choice and you do know that Jeep is coming out with a JL based pick up right?

Some build info here:

Last edited by thedirtman; 06-22-2017 at 07:42 AM.
post #19 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1eric View Post
The Jealousy is strong...
Hahaha, but ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS when looking at daily driving a Jeep is DO NOT skimp out on a lift. Trust me, get the lift you want from the beginning. It's happened to many Jeepers, they don't think they'll really need the lift they want, but trust me it'll save money just to get it in the beginning.

Make sure to get a name brand lift, I would recommend Rubicon Express (personal own, it's been amazing!), Synergy, Rock Krawler, and Teraflex.
aqualungs likes this.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #20 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
If you think your Mustang has problems you'll hate the Jeep. Wranglers are junk. They are built barely adequate stock. When you lift and add bigger tires everything goes to shit. Everything in the steering system is shit, brakes are garbage, cooling system likes to leak. I have had Fords forever with no problems other than minor issues covered by warranty.

All that being said Wranglers are a blast and as long as you have the time and money they are easy to work on yourself. 35s and 3.73s with an automatic are fine. It still scoots pretty well for a V6.

I'm surprised you didn't get slammed more for this comment. With that said you're basically right. Love mine but damn is it a shitty design.
aqualungs likes this.

This is my Signature
post #21 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
The dealers rape you on mods, Typically basement quality products at penthouse pricing. But then again most people look at the monthly payment not overall cost which is dumb. Financing cars is dumb too but I understand we have to do it so the big companies can continue to sell products to people that like to live their lives in debt and rarely ever own anything. Thats another topic though.

You talk about tires, and lifts but seem to resist gears? Makes no sense. I get that you cant see the gears and they are expensive so people that care about looks don't want to spend the money and do whatever they can to justify not putting proper gears in for the tire size they run. They will dwell on their lifts and talk about lifts like they their are going to help with performance or ride quality. Daily drivers don't need 3"-4" of lift to run 35" tires. Flat fenders and proper backspaced wheels will allow you to run a daily driver on the stock suspension. Even if you go off road and do full on rock crawling the lift is a secondary concern with tires, locker and GEARS giving you the best performance gains off road. The lift is there basically to give you more articulation room for the big tires. Generally just adding lift for the sake of lift is a bad thing and only leads to a less stable jeep both on road on and off. Only to where you are high speed off road running (35 mph down a gravel road is not high speed) is where you really need to address the suspension in terms of proper travel for the shocks to work properly.This is not a place where you are going to get a bolt on lift kit to be effective.

You are going to find you will have tire envy if you get 35's. The mall crawler or look at me crowd build for attention and a jeep on 35's is kinda generic. You can throw a cheap lift on and some big light bars with lots of bolt on bling and be part of the "JK crowd". If thats your thing then cool, its your ride not mine. A stock jeep should do what you want and more. Even a mild tire upgrade to 33's with 3.73 will further increase your traction off road and get you more places. Save you money and get you better fuel economy. I agree with you a pick up would be a better choice and you do know that Jeep is coming out with a JL based pick up right?
+1 to all of this. I run 35s, mopar stage 1 lift kit (junk btw) and 3.21s w/ a manual 6 speed. the Jeep is a dog and rarely do I even get out of 3rd gear. Better gears and atleast a LSD in the rear would be a must.
aqualungs likes this.

This is my Signature
post #22 of 27 Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
I'm surprised you didn't get slammed more for this comment. With that said you're basically right. Love mine but damn is it a shitty design.
If he was new to the site then he might have been, but even then... probably not. This forum and it's seasoned members are real... good/ bad/ ugly... they speak the truth or at least from the heart. This particular member also has a lot of personal experience on the matter, having owned a JK for many years. I tend to agree with him as well... but if someone is buying a JK ( and especially if they are modding it to any degree) and expecting Volvo reliability, then they're gonna be disappointed. Most of the JK's weaknesses/ inherent issues can be addressed when modding but despite it's unique features and strengths off road, it certainly has had it's share of problems since hitting the dealerships in 2007. Some people obviously get luckier than others but as long as you're informed, I wouldn't cross it off the list. It can be a love/ hate relationship... just a matter of your expectations and your willingness/ ability to handle potential issues.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #23 of 27 Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK! Thanks to everyone that offered feedback almost a year ago. I just realized i made a few other posts but never really updated this one.

I know none of this will be a revelation to current owners, but hopefully it can help the next guy on what to expect making the switch, from someone who has never owned a Jeep.

In July i pulled the trigger on a Willys JKU, got a reasonable trade number on the 5.0, and reasonable price on the Willys in White after some back and forth, White was not my first choice. With vinyl experience I tore it down and wrapped it myself in 3m 1080 Matte Gray Aluminum. Only cost was $500 of material and I have plenty left on the roll. I inherited some brand new smoky Mountain wheels with 35" Toyo OC MTs for free but to get them out of the way of the donator I had to put on with no lift. Picked up an AEV ProCal, added wheel spacers and RK extended rear bumpstops to limit uptravel and trimmed and capped the rock rail. Ran that way for about 4 months didn't have daily driving rub accept for full lock in reverse and over super hard bumps hitting fender lip. I also swapped the hard top for a supertop NX in twill and a knockoff cargo net and that's how it sat until funds allowed about 3 weeks ago to go with a Teraflex S/T 3 lift with no shocks, that I separately paired with Falcon 3.2 adjustables.

Regular impressions are that while I miss the power of the mustang, the sun and fun factor allow me to enjoy the jeeps qualities way more often than I could use the mustangs power.
Pretty day - throw the top back, take off the doors, etc
bad weather - no worries about water covering road, severe hydroplaning. there's a spot on my commute that rain would randomly flood with about 10 inches of water, if i hit it in the mustang, I had to turn around and go 15 minutes out of the way to bypass. not anymore
confidence - has capability that i could go through, over, or around almost anything I may encounter in my area at least on a daily basis. Even simple things. Had a wreck in front of a store i was in and the exit was blocked by a totaled car, everyone was having to stay until it was moved. Cop told me it would be about 45 minutes for the wrecker but I was fine to hop the curb drive over sidewalk onto road.
cargo- do i even need to mention this, i had to borrow a truck once to buy a 42 inch TV because it couldn't fit in the mustang. I just bought a 65 inch that not only fit fine in the jeep, i stopped at home depot and got some 2x4s and bags of landscape rock too while wife sat in the jeep.

The mustang was great but it was all about speed, unless I was on it and risking a ticket by the time I hit third gear there really wasn't much enjoyment to be had in a legal manner. sure it looked good but something about the jeep makes it fun just going the speed limit. Days when I see a nice 5.0 I get a little sad, but then I throw the top down and it instantly goes away.

I think I'll be satisfied with the 35's and to me I have zero issues with 35s and the stock 3.73s. It's not a speed demon but it's not unbearable. Other than interstate onramps I rarely have to really get on it, just typically acceleration seems more than fine for daily surface street/highway driving, and I regularly drive 75 on the interstate with no issue. AVG about 17-18mpg
Now with the soft top on windy days it does feel like driving a covered wagon, but you adjust and learn to live with it. The brakes are fine and better than my dads 2500 diesel ram by a mile. I may Upgrade the pad, but I don't think its necessary. Steering feels great to me with the upgraded trackbar and Falcon stabilizer on medium.

The interior is spartan, but it works. I don't think its uncomfortable but luxury it is not, nor should it be. I knew the JL was on the horizon with better interior at a higher prce, but was able to get into a JK for the right price partially because of that. I do intend to upgrade the 130res radio with an android unit eventually and maybe better speakers, but really only listen to local ESPN and USB so it's not necessary for me. I don't use Bluetooth because it drains my phone, but it does work. Uconnect voice commands are the most useless counter intuitive I have ever used. They really are pointless. Saying 'Play All Songs" does nothing but have her read a list of all song titles on the drive? I have resorted to converting all music to just MP3 and my favorite songs I edited in windows to have the album title "Awesome Mix" - so now I just hit the button scroll down to albums, select, awesome mix, hit random, and then it will play all songs I put with that as the album.

I initially planned to get cardinal red Katzkins like a 10A to replace the cloth, but the more I think about sunfade on red leather being topless, I think i'm just going to get some bartacts and call it a day.

I am extremely happy with the S/T3 lift and the falcons. setting 3 seems perfect for daily driving. It's more stable and planted than stock, firmer but not in a bad way. Setting one makes it kinda bouncy like stock and i'd rather firm but controllable over comfortable but bouncy. I am a little disappointed in that it netted 4.25" of actual lift, hoping it settles and winch/bumpers/carrier bring it down some. Front driveshaft seems pretty steep and boot isn't that far from exhaust. A Woods or Adams will fix it fine, just didn't really want to spend it on that at this time. Also wanted tube fenders but just IMO 4 inches of lift, 35s, & tube fenders leaves alot of gap, and i don't want 37's or the upgrades needed to run them.

I have had it "offroad" a few times and never had a problem. Typical mud was no issue, long mud slick in back of my subdivision i go through regularly is no problem as long as I keep the rpms spinning it just churns through it. Dirt mounds, Hills and ruts back there are equally fine. We don't have rocks here so cant comment. The most often terrain it sees is I guess what y'all call fire roads...we don't have those but we do have a crap ton of logging trails that cut through to real roads. They are usually dirt/gravel trails cut through pine wide enough for an 18 wheeler. some are gated and posted, but some are not. The ones that are not make them hard to tell from a public dirt/gravel road I also have friends whose family own timber land that give us free reign through them. I knew this terrain was easily found in my area going in and thats what made me go for the S/T3. The trails can get rough but you can maintain some bit of speed in a safe/fun manner through them.

All in all that has been my ownership experience. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Pics are mix of before and after lift.
Attached Images

Last edited by X1eric; 04-10-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

a few more
Attached Images

post #25 of 27 Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

I love the color! How long did that take you to wrap? Maybe I missed it but did you paint the door hinges or get new ones?

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode