Why do people go wheeling without a winch? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tierhog
  • 1 Post By Victim Of Pain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Why do people go wheeling without a winch?

To be fair I've done both. My old ranger didn't have one and my Jeep does. With that said I've been watching a ton of offroad recovery fail videos and every single one I see is with a pull strap and not a winch. I can see if you're doing some light trails but some of these trucks are hitting mud deeper than I've ever seen and still nobody with them has a winch. I just dont get it.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Wheeler

If they're playing in mud that deep, I could only assume they're not that bright to begin with.

Although, I will say, on the trail I've seen more people utilizing tow straps than winches to get over obstacles quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wheeled my xj for a couple years with no winch. Always had a high lift and misc. straps and never needed a winch. It limited where I would go and with whom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I wheeled my xj for a couple years with no winch. Always had a high lift and misc. straps and never needed a winch. It limited where I would go and with whom.
I only had straps and tools never a high lift. this is what I've had to deal with without a winch

This is my Signature
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Granite Guru

Because they don't plan on getting stuck at the mall....

I've wheeled with out winch 1 time and that's all it took. Last time I used a high lift I got smacked in the head with the handle, cut my ear in half , gave me a fun concussion.. so I'll just stick with a winch no matter what!

Unless someone is planning on going on fairy trails they prolly don't even think about getting one. But then you have some of Americas finest getting nuts high in mud in their trucks then getting stuck.. in return they end up ripping off a bumper with a strap or bending a frame.

OIF
post #6 of 12 Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Some simply want to wheel and haven't saved up for one. We used to put winch equipped rigs in front and back of the line. It always worked out.
coilrod and Texas_Jester like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnPokey View Post

I've wheeled with out winch 1 time and that's all it took. Last time I used a high lift I got smacked in the head with the handle, cut my ear in half , gave me a fun concussion.. so I'll just stick with a winch no matter what!

Unless someone is planning on going on fairy trails they prolly don't even think about getting one. But then you have some of Americas finest getting nuts high in mud in their trucks then getting stuck.. in return they end up ripping off a bumper with a strap or bending a frame.
You don't know how to use a hi lift, doesn't mean no-one else can.
Not all wheeling is mud. Personally hate it, but we don't have the fairy trails here that you know so much about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Granite Guru

Most of us wheeling friends have winches, but most of the time a stuck Jeep just need a gentle tug with a strap. In the last 5 years I have only use my winch 3 times. My one friend with out a winch, wants me to winch downed trees out of the way all the time. I told him every time to get his winch and winch it and then he would say, but I don't have a winch. To witch I will say, then I guess the down tree will just stay there. I am not going to burn up my winch to pull stupid trees out of the way. And btw, these trees are normally at least 4' in diameter and 30' plus long.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

About 90% of the people I wheel with have a winch. That being said 90% of the time we just put a tow strap on and use the jeep in front of them to help them over an obstacle (not a lot of mud here in AZ). We usually put the guys running 37's in front so that they can make it over the obstacle. Then if needed we can help out the guys running 35's or running stock.

In the 8 years I have had the winch on I have only had to use it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I know personally, I grew up mudding in Virginia and mostly because funds were tight, none of us had winches. Always ran with at least 2-3 vehicles and we used snatch straps, hundreds of recoveries and fortunately we never had any issues and it worked well. Now I can afford a winch so I have one, but I still like the idea of wheeling with 2-3 vehicles, but the security factor feels higher with the winch anyway.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-12-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
In the 8 years I have had the winch on I have only had to use it twice.
sadly I'm running into the same issue. I've rarely had to use mine and only because other people were stuck.

This is my Signature
post #12 of 12 Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnPokey View Post

I see more winches at the mall than on the trail...
rerard2 likes this.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode