• 2 Post By chris36l
  • 1 Post By chris36l
  • 1 Post By coilrod
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New jeep guy here

Hello everyone I just bought a 2017 jku sport and I've been doing lots and lots of research and I'm going nuts I just want to be guided right. I want to do a 3.5 inch lift and have been looking at rock krawler but not sure which system to go with, I'm definitely going with 37 inch tires, it will be my daily driver, as far as off roading I won't be doing anything crazy. So what exactly is needed to be done besides the wheels and lift? All help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepy323 View Post
Hello everyone I just bought a 2017 jku sport and I've been doing lots and lots of research and I'm going nuts I just want to be guided right. I want to do a 3.5 inch lift and have been looking at rock krawler but not sure which system to go with, I'm definitely going with 37 inch tires, it will be my daily driver, as far as off roading I won't be doing anything crazy. So what exactly is needed to be done besides the wheels and lift? All help will be much appreciated.

Where do you live? I would suggest finding a trusted Offroad shop nearby and talking to them. There is a lot more involved with going to 37" tires safely than just purchasing a lift and tires. And if you're not planning on wheeling it. You'd be better off going with 35's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 01:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

My JK has 37s and was just a weekend vehicle. Things have changed and now it's driven when it's not a Harley riding day.

I started with a Budget Boost of 1.75 spacers, sway bar drop bracket, and shock extensions (upgraded to Rubicon take off shocks). That's was with 305/70-16 Irok NDs... Now it's 37x14.00-17 Irok on beadlocks with flat fenders. I was running Tera Flex 4" (3" for Unlimiteds) springs and various Rock Krawler and other manufacturer's parts.

When you go over 3" there are other little things that can pop up that aren't addressed with the lift kit... If it's a DD and doesn't see much off-road add what it does is mild, save your money and reduce your headaches later on by doing 2.5" lift and 35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm in the la area and I just love the look of the 3.5 with 37s so I'm willing to spend the extra cash
post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm in the la area and I just love the look of the 3.5 with 37s so I'm willing to spend the extra cash

Check out Offroad unlimited, and if you're dead set on 37's even though you're not going to wheel it. Make sure you buy a complete lift system, not just a cheap kit. Try rock krawler or metal cloak. And if I remember correctly you've got a sport or Sahara. Probably want to look into a Dana 44 for the front. Or stronger (chromoly) axle shafts and knuckles, there are several big brake kits to choose from. Definitely going to need to upgrade atleast the front brakes if not all 4. You'll want to upgrade to steering. Larger power steering box, power steering cooler, or go ram assist. Regear, atleast to 4.88.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

New jeep guy here

I didn't think the 2.5 lift and 35s would be as big as it was until it was installed. Perfect leg lift and slide in. My wife needs the rock sliders to step in. I think the 37s are impressive looking, too. The amount needed to do it right stopped me, so you're good there. Second, I'd need to use the step sliders to get in lol!
Good luck! Buy once cry once.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Wheeler

I had originally wanted to go with 37's, and still will at some point. But the amount of money, and number of changes needed to do it right, really deterred me from going that far while my jeep is still my daily driver. I'm currently running 35's on a 3.5" lift. It rides great, and I wheel it about every other weekend. I want to do it right the first time so I'm taking my time with the build so as not to have to back track with beefier equipment later and spending money twice. But as I saw it, it looks like 7-8 grand is the right price to do 37's the right way on a "sport" would be a few thousand cheaper on a rubicon since you wouldn't need to swap front axles. Good luck with the build. And like @aqualungs said. Do it once, do it right. Hopefully there will be no crying.

Jeeper02 and aqualungs like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris36l View Post
I had originally wanted to go with 37's, and still will at some point. But the amount of money, and number of changes needed to do it right, really deterred me from going that far while my jeep is still my daily driver. I'm currently running 35's on a 3.5" lift. It rides great, and I wheel it about every other weekend. I want to do it right the first time so I'm taking my time with the build so as not to have to back track with beefier equipment later and spending money twice. But as I saw it, it looks like 7-8 grand is the right price to do 37's the right way on a "sport" would be a few thousand cheaper on a rubicon since you wouldn't need to swap front axles. Good luck with the build. And like @aqualungs said. Do it once, do it right. Hopefully there will be no crying.

This is a great way to transition to 37. Built on 35s with 37s in mind! A new friend told me, build with the end goal/dream in mind. If you want 37s build towards. Man I like 35s on. 3.5" lift, too. Lol

post #9 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
This is a great way to transition to 37. Built on 35s with 37s in mind! A new friend told me, build with the end goal/dream in mind. If you want 37s build towards. Man I like 35s on. 3.5" lift, too. Lol

Yea, 37's are probably 5 or more years down the road, so I'll get to enjoy a few sets of 35's before I get to that point. Give me a chance to figure out exactly which tires I like the most.

aqualungs likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

If you want 37's on your DD think about addressing the weak unit bearings, adding larger rotors, calipers and possibly a booster. You will need 3.5" backspaced rims to avoid conflicts when turning full lock. Turning aired down 37's in sand or snow brings plenty of suck so consider a hydro assist. If you have lots o' $ do it right.
That said, 37's for a DD is money poorly spent. I'll sell you my wheels n rims so I can drop down to 35's.
aqualungs likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #11 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
If you're thinking of going with larger wheels and tires like 35s or 37s, you definitely will want to look at upgrading your brakes with something like our ProGrip kit https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-syste...e-jeep-jk.html that you can install yourself and will such a major increase in braking power along with holding power on inclines and declines.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
I didn't think the 2.5 lift and 35s would be as big as it was until it was installed. Perfect leg lift and slide in. My wife needs the rock sliders to step in. I think the 37s are impressive looking, too. The amount needed to do it right stopped me, so you're good there. Second, I'd need to use the step sliders to get in lol!
Good luck! Buy once cry once.

just to provide all the facts , with the right set of capable handles ,straps or bars installed & suitable upper-body strength , one can lift oneself ala a one armed pullup + a side rail foot bounce right into either front seat. It's been a little rough to teach the wife this move but it saves the bolsters. Same for exiting ; lift yourself in or out of my jeep, heh. I have the move down effortlessly now and it isn't greatly different than the way old cowboys in movies mounted their horses.
aqualungs likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
just to provide all the facts , with the right set of capable handles ,straps or bars installed & suitable upper-body strength , one can lift oneself ala a one armed pullup + a side rail foot bounce right into either front seat. It's been a little rough to teach the wife this move but it saves the bolsters. Same for exiting ; lift yourself in or out of my jeep, heh. I have the move down effortlessly now and it isn't greatly different than the way old cowboys in movies mounted their horses.

I forgot to mention she uses the grab handles too! With pins and rods in my back I won't go any higher. I say that now though! lol

post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
JKU steps - AMP Power Steps

As I am a short guy, I installed the AMP Power Steps even before my lift. I did it at first because I'd get winter slush on the calves of my pants when I "bailed out" at work with the Rubicon rails that I had then. A co-worker put me onto the Power Steps. I don't drive where I pivot my rails on rocks, so it's good for me & the Mrs., even though I now have been sent to pasture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode