Possible newbie - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Possible newbie

So me and the wife are thinking of getting a jeep as a fun family vehicle to enjoy with our daughter. Looking at jk's and I was wondering what to look for or what to stay clear of. What we're trying to find is atleast a v6 and manual tranny at a decent price but I have no experience with a jeep atleast not since driving my Dads's 94 12+ years ago. So with the v6's how many miles is too many? How's their reliability. Hopes are to find something that will get used for some off roading and eventually be given to our daughter. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 AM
JKO Addict!

unless you are looking at a 07-10 with about 150,000 miles on it you are not going find the pricing decent and should just look into a new stripped down model. Wranglers just hold their value. The 3.8L 07-10 typically burns oil. The manual transmission has a good track record. 2012 had ahead issues on the 3.6L (there was a recall) There are electrical gremlins that pop up. If you are in the rust belt or east coast these thing rust pretty bad.

New JL model coming out in 2018 so it should drive down the cost of the JK a bit and you may find a good deal on a new left over JK.

If you have to find a used one I think I would look for a 2013 model. There are electronic things done after 2013 that can be affected by modifications for more serious off road performance.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. All the ones I'm seeing have 100k plus which in all honesty it's not gonna be a daily driver so doesn't completely scare me lol just wondering what issues to look for with the jk's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

What the dirtman said. I might add that you should first determine what you're going to do with your jeep. Are you going to drive down forest roads as well as regular highway driving or are you going to go off-roading. If off-roading, to what degree? The type of driving you do should help you determine the extent of modifications if any. Buy a sport or an X and you have a good inexpensive base to start with. Buy a rubicon with all the bells and whistles and a very capable Offroad vehicle. Not saying an X or Sport aren't capable just not as much as a Rubi. If you have friends that drive Offroad ask to go with them to see if you'll enjoy it. Look at the videos members have posted in the Trips section. Welcome to JKO.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Consider a 3.6 over 3.8. Better engine, more power. Next ask yourself how big you wanna go. If you don't go the Rubicon route stay away from 3.23 geared ones - hold out for 3.73. If you go with Auto keep in mind that down the road any locker you get will have to be selectable.
When buying used built look at it carefully as you might be buying someone elses headaches...if it's too good to be true, it probably is not good
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. So far our plan is to do some regular driving and some off roading but nothing to crazy. Probably leaning towards a sport or x. This way if it's nice out we can take the top off and put the kid in the back and go. Way easier to do this than to find a sitter and take the harley out lol

post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Oh yeah - another crazy thing is that jks are expensive - if you shop at the June/July timeframe a new one (2017) with the right incentives might makw sense. We bought our 2012 hardtop bare bones in July of 2012 and got a helluva price - but there were very few to choose from by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode