New "Recon" I just don't get.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
New "Recon" I just don't get..

The front Dana 44 axle receives strengthened axle tubes with heavy-duty end forgings and heavy-duty cast front and rear differential covers. The unique rock rails are specially designed to accommodate 35-inch tires, a popular upgrade among JK enthusiasts. As with other Rubicons, the Recon features Jeepís Rock-Trac transfer case with a 4:1 low-range. In addition to the axle and drivetrain upgrades, the Recon has a 1/2-inch lift, and 32-inch BFGoodrich KM tires, available body-color fender flares, a dual-vent Power Dome hood, and 17-inch low-gloss Granite Crystal painted alloy wheels.

35s ok now? 4.10 gears? Really? I'm confused..

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 03:45 AM
Granite Guru

Are you suggesting that 35" inch tires combined with 4.10 gears and a 4:1 low range ratio is not sufficient? I would think that the combined 4.1 gears and 4:1 low range is a very potent combination for 35" tires and would even allow 37" tires to be passable for many who live in the flat lands.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #3 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Wheeler

I run 37's on my 4.10's with manual and it's just fine. Before that I ran 35's for 4 years. what are you getting at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Its saying the rock rails are cut to fit a 35" tire.

I also run 37's and 4.10's, on road its fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Its saying the rock rails are cut to fit a 35" tire.

I also run 37's and 4.10's, on road its fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ok so you no longer have to trim the rubi rails, I guess that's nice. probably adds an extra $1500
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

No guys I'm not making any suggestions, I've just been preached to for so long about the Bruhahaha 35s and how jeep will abandon you. Equally, If some guy buys a 50k dollar JKURec and slaps on 35s and struggles up the Grapevine in SoCal or Donner, and suddenly feels a huge loss of performance, would the advertising start to feel a tad misleading?

I just slapped 35 (315/75r16) MTRs on my JKUR (2015& 4.10) and it drove fine, but I haven't recal the trans yet with superchip and have concerns (not regret, just concerns) about family trips and steep grades/trans temps/motor temps, etc

Sorry not in a club or anything and nobody locally has a lot of input. Just confused about the whole thing..

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..

Last edited by Tierhog; 05-28-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
No guys I'm not making any suggestions, I've just been preached to for so long about the Bruhahaha 35s and how jeep will abandon you. Equally, If some guy buys a 50k dollar JKURec and slaps on 35s and struggles up the Grapevine in SoCal or Donner, and suddenly feels a huge loss of performance, would the advertising start to feel a tad misleading?

I just slapped 35 (315/75r16) MTRs on my JKUR (2015& 4.10) and it drove fine, but I haven't recal the trans yet with superchip and have concerns (not regret, just concerns) about family trips and steep grades/trans temps/motor temps, etc

Sorry not in a club or anything and nobody locally has a lot of input. Just confused about the whole thing..
how tall is your lift? when you hit around 3" and above your driveshaft angles are something to worry about. also know that at some point in the future you may have premature wear of other things like ball joints, steering components, etc. I take it you have an auto?

with the whole recon thing, it's just Jeep trying to squeeze every bit out of the JK before production ends. I see what you're saying though, it gives off the impression that you can throw on 35's and be done with it. and a lot of people probably will.

Last edited by lost_jeep; 05-28-2017 at 09:03 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I did the teraflex leveling kit (2 front, 1 rear)+
Flatties. So thankfully I didn't throw too much out of whack. Yeah I'm an auto. 4.10
We will see what this super chip f5 trans calibration thing does..
post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
That article was written in 2011, which means that in terms of engine power it's no longer valid.

With the 3.6 (2012 and newer), 37s with 4.10s and an auto trans is very doable. I ran that way for a few months before upgrading to 5.13's, which was always the ultimate plan. If you're not going to load up heavily, or tow a lot, you might run that way for a long time, and it couldn't help but be better with 35's.

The rest of what the article said borders on hysteria. They are right about the increased wear, of course, but you're also going to increase wear just by taking it off road. I've run 37's on unmodified Dana 44's for 45,000 miles and the only damage I've done was a bent rear flange from Fordyce Creek. No gussets, no truss, no damage. In spite of all the doom and gloom in that article.

I did have to go through the front end at about 35,000 miles because virtually every moving component was worn out. I replaced the ball joints, tie rod, drag link, and track bar, as well as adding the synergy track bar and steering sector shaft brace. I have a 4.5" AEV left, so all of those components were stock until I replaced them. I replaced the Bilstein shocks less than 5000 miles ago, so they had about 40,000 on them, but I don't consider that to be excessive. And again, that's with 37's, so with 35's you shouldn't have as much problem but you'll have to do it eventually.

You'll probably have some decreased performance on steep grades like Donner, Tehachapi, or the grapevine. But really, how often do you drive those grades? My point is that it's really probably not a major consideration in your overall plan. If you go up to Shaver, I would want a trans temp gauge because that grade is brutal even on a stock rig.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

reminded my four door '11s first set of tires and wheels were 325/75r16s and man I loved those. Aired down , that little extra bit of tire between wheel and earth afforded by the 16s made great traction.
Just not enough tire selection over 34-35"available for 16" wheels!
yeah, FCA is just milking the test for the last JK/JKU configs they can before the upcoming new model release, as @lost_jeep stated.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I get it, and that was my take. Ok, is Jeep accepting that a good amount of Jeep owners want leveling kits and up to 4" lifts, with 32s and up to 35" tires as soon as they can muster the funds?

I've seen hit and miss with dealerships accepting or rejecting off-road mods.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-29-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

[QUOTE=UnlimiDozer;4238098]
Quote:
Kinda what I mean..

[url=http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/154-1103-less-is-more-jeep-wrangler-jk-suspension/]Less Is More: Jeep Wrangler JK Suspension - Jp

That article was written in 2011, which means that in terms of engine power it's no longer valid.

With the 3.6 (2012 and newer), 37s with 4.10s and an auto trans is very doable. I ran that way for a few months before upgrading to 5.13's, which was always the ultimate plan. If you're not going to load up heavily, or tow a lot, you might run that way for a long time, and it couldn't help but be better with 35's.

The rest of what the article said borders on hysteria. They are right about the increased wear, of course, but you're also going to increase wear just by taking it off road. I've run 37's on unmodified Dana 44's for 45,000 miles and the only damage I've done was a bent rear flange from Fordyce Creek. No gussets, no truss, no damage. In spite of all the doom and gloom in that article.

I did have to go through the front end at about 35,000 miles because virtually every moving component was worn out. I replaced the ball joints, tie rod, drag link, and track bar, as well as adding the synergy track bar and steering sector shaft brace. I have a 4.5" AEV left, so all of those components were stock until I replaced them. I replaced the Bilstein shocks less than 5000 miles ago, so they had about 40,000 on them, but I don't consider that to be excessive. And again, that's with 37's, so with 35's you shouldn't have as much problem but you'll have to do it eventually.

You'll probably have some decreased performance on steep grades like Donner, Tehachapi, or the grapevine. But really, how often do you drive those grades? My point is that it's really probably not a major consideration in your overall plan. If you go up to Shaver, I would want a trans temp gauge because that grade is brutal even on a stock rig.

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode