6Likes
  • 1 Post By 1eviljk
  • 2 Post By Az Scooter
  • 1 Post By SurfnSnow
  • 2 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice on skid plates

I'm planning on adding some armor and am looking for a few skid plate recommendations.

I'm leaning towards the ARB 5450110 skid plate for the steering, transmission, oil pan, transfer case. This was recommended by a few people. Thoughts on this? Any suggested alternatives?

What else is the most important to armor? The gas tank definitely, what part would you recommend? HOw about the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Consider the M. O. R. E. Oil pan skid plate. It also covers the trans coolant line, amongst other things and is very sturdy.
As far as what's more important? Huge opinion call right there. I never did my gas tank, and may never do it.. Its banged up some but I was worried about the following :

Oil pan and trans line
Rockers
Evap
Diffs
Swaybar disconnect motor
Stabilizer/Tie rod
LCAs Mounts

Steve in Modesto

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i speak from 3.8l four door 2011 but strongly second the suggestion @Tierhog made for the M.O.R.E. oilpan tranny skid. I run it and the transfer case skid they offer with Rockhard ramped bolt skids and the setup constantly prevents rock damage to my JKUs underbelly and vitals .
IMO, Stock gas skid is fine till you mush it which takes a good deal .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Wheeler

I really should get skid plates too. With 34's and a 2.5" lift I drag everywhere. I personally would love the artec skid system as it protects mostly everything but the Evap and weighs around 70lbs I believe. All 1/4 aluminum. They aren't cheap so for me it's definitely something I have to save up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eviljk View Post

I really should get skid plates too. With 34's and a 2.5" lift I drag everywhere. I personally would love the artec skid system as it protects mostly everything but the Evap and weighs around 70lbs I believe. All 1/4 aluminum. They aren't cheap so for me it's definitely something I have to save up for.

and a new cross member. Why not just relocate your evap can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
and a new cross member. Why not just relocate your evap can?
I did, its in the trash. LOL Collateral Damage at Table mesa Claimed that one and haven't had one since. The fumes can get annoying along with the check CEL and gascap light so i might get to it after Moab this week. And yes to a new Cross member while i do skids.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Rock God

I like my metal cloak skids. I pivot and do all sorts of crazy things on them, and have not had a failure. It includes a heavier cross member for the full kit.
RockHard also makes some nice skids. They would be a solid second choice, if you want maximum coverage. The steel skids may be heavy, but their weight lowers the center of gravity.
JimOldBlue and 1eviljk like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Wheeler

Why not check out a river raider system? Heard great things, have it on my build list, just saving up for it.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eviljk View Post

yeah, that's what the bottom of my rig wound up looking like. I replaced the cross member with one from synergy but haven't gotten around to replacing the stock gas skid plate. for the oil and transmission skid plate, I went with the ones from Offroad Evolution (probably not the most popular choice but they had what I was looking for and at a good price). They've held up really well for the past 2-3 years and was stupid easy to install.
1eviljk likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
I like my metal cloak skids. I pivot and do all sorts of crazy things on them, and have not had a failure. It includes a heavier cross member for the full kit.

RockHard also makes some nice skids. They would be a solid second choice, if you want maximum coverage. The steel skids may be heavy, but their weight lowers the center of gravity.

I just installed the undercloak system with the zinc coating. If you wait until Father's Day to order they will most likely offer free shipping that weekend.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.5" Metalcloar Game Changer lift, Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5R17, Metalcloak Overlander Fenders, Rocker guards.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

save the weight and pick better lines.
JimOldBlue and DRP like this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode