broke down on the way home after off rd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Biginboca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-20-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

broke down on the way home after off rd

Hi Guys
I am located in south Florida and went to lazy springs today for go topless day. Lots of fun. I did not go crazy this time around - did some hill trails - some light mud and not deep water. i normally got much deeper.
Any ways everything was fine until the end of the day.
I normally drive off rd in 4 low - I now learned that this is only for hard stuff. anyways towards the end of the day the jeep was not running right so I went to 4 high and then no problems.
on our way home my jeep had a load winning noise when the gas is pressed (now I had this before but very low and only came on when you really press the gas) (I think this might be a timing belt)
so moving along even with the winning sound jeep was driving fine. about 60 miles into the drive 80mil to go the engine temp gage went all the way up then dropped all the way down. battery light came on along with the engine temp light. still the jeep was driving ok. about 10 mil more the steering wheel basically locked up - still can steer a bit so I keep on going. 10-20 mil latter I lost power the jeep just did not want to speed up and started to slow down. engine light now came on. at this point I wanted to get off this highway and next exit was about 10 mil. I made it just to the ramp when the jeep died and will not start after that. 6 mile to the dealer too lol
so had to get a tow
does anyone have any clue whats is going on here. what could of went wrong with the jeep. did I drive it to log to fry the engine. could this be the timing belt - could it have over heated.

Also on a side note I just got my jeep back from the shop on Friday from upgrading to 4.88 gears and 37 tiers also programed with supper chips. all done by 4 wheel parts and they always do good work.
I don't think this has anything to do with above

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Rock God

What year is your jeep and how many miles?

My best guess is something happened with the serpentine belt. (I think that's what you were referring to when you said timing belt.)

Maybe you fried your alternator in mud (whining sound) then your alternator was whining and quit. The battery eventually died and you lost power.

BTW, you should not drive if the temperature guage climbs really high and you are getting warnings. At that point you risk blowing a head gasket and major costly engine repairs.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
What year is your jeep and how many miles?

My best guess is something happened with the serpentine belt. (I think that's what you were referring to when you said timing belt.)

Maybe you fried your alternator in mud (whining sound) then your alternator was whining and quit. The battery eventually died and you lost power.

BTW, you should not drive if the temperature guage climbs really high and you are getting warnings. At that point you risk blowing a head gasket and major costly engine repairs.
the jeep is a 2016 unlimited '
I keept going because when the top gage went all the way up it dropped to 0 right after
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM
KJV
Granite Guru

I'd second the serpentine belt. Sounds like you lost charging voltage and cooling. And that is quite a bold claim about 4wp always doing good work....

2010 JKU. 3.5 RK Flex, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Method 105's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, VKS Shorty V2 with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Cage
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

You can have someone turn ignition over while you observe the engine bay ? Can you see the belt and pulleys move at all if you do this ? Also, if you have a superchips , what diagnostic trouble codes are appearing ?
I would be very , very cautious in claims about 4WParts and them doing superlative mechanical work. Your mentioning loss of steering then total power loss scares me . This jeep is a2016 and has warranty still, correct ? You need to check if the belt is moving even if you have to jump it . Did you ingest even the slightest amount of h2o while south Florida wheeling ? You should really check that the rad is not full of mud and your belt freely moves before anything else. This sounds like heat siezure to me but you got to give more info and use your DTCs to start looking effectively at the prob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

You can have someone turn ignition over while you observe the engine bay ? Can you see the belt and pulleys move at all if you do this ? Also, if you have a superchips , what diagnostic trouble codes are appearing ?
I would be very , very cautious in claims about 4WParts and them doing superlative mechanical work. Your mentioning loss of steering then total power loss scares me . This jeep is a2016 and has warranty still, correct ? You need to check if the belt is moving even if you have to jump it . Did you ingest even the slightest amount of h2o while south Florida wheeling ? You should really check that the rad is not full of mud and your belt freely moves before anything else. This sounds like heat siezure to me but you got to give more info and use your DTCs to start looking effectively at the prob

I dont have the jeep as it was towed to the dealer.

Your mentioning loss of steering then total power loss scares me . This jeep is a2016 and has warranty still, correct ?
--- why does this scare you what could of gone wrong besides the belt - yes this jeep is still under warrantee it only has 15600 on it.

Did you ingest even the slightest amount of h2o while south Florida wheeling
--- I did go through so mud with water. but nothing deep

This sounds like heat siezure to me
--- what is a heat siezure. and can it be fixed or did this fry engine
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Rock God

Warrantied repairs are pending upon dealer discretion for items like this. If they feel you were abusing it off-road (or on road) and the engine damage wasn't caused by a manufacturing defect then they may not cover the repairs.

On top of that there's the ongoing battle of covering modified vehicles. As long as none of the mods you have done causes the needed repairs you do have a legal leg to stand on but this may not be your case because...

In the instance that someone is driving long after warning lights come on (against the owners manual which will tell you to pull over and shut off the vehicle) the warranty may not cover the repairs needed as a result of ignoring these warnings.

i.e., they might have covered the serpentine belt and a tow if you had pulled over when first signs of an issue arose. Keep on driving which leads to overheating and severe engine damage, well those added repairs are caused by the negligence of the owner and are now his responsibility. I'm not saying you were right or wrong to do what you did, just telling you how this often goes down...

Your best course of action is to make nice nice with the service writer and manager. A lot of the outcome depends on the service department policies. 2 different dealerships may handle this entirely differently.
cweidert03 likes this.

Last edited by Biginboca; 05-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys
thanks for all your help...
I hope its just the serpentine belt and if anything some other easy fixable parts..
If it comes down to the worst case and the engine is no longer good… What is the dealer going to charge me for a new engine - ball park. $7000.
I know this is a good time to upgrade but I am not going to deal with all that. I just put 4.88 and 37 on the jeep on Friday the day before all this happened.
So if anyone can give me a ball park on what the price will be from the dealer that would be helpful

on a side note. would a new engine come with gears or is that something different. asking because I know the dealer will probaly not reuse my new gears if it did

and could of any of this have effected my brand new 4.88 gears. is a 140 mil rd trip and some wheeling on day old gears bad
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brown 2 View Post
Hi Guys
I hope its just the serpentine belt and if anything some other easy fixable parts..
If it comes down to the worst case and the engine is no longer good… What is the dealer going to charge me for a new engine - ball park. $7000.
I know this is a good time to upgrade but I am not going to deal with all that. I just put 4.88 and 37 on the jeep on Friday the day before all this happened.
So if anyone can give me a ball park on what the price will be from the dealer that would be helpful

on a side note. would a new engine come with gears or is that something different. asking because I know the dealer will probaly not reuse my new gears if it did

and could of any of this have effected my brand new 4.88 gears. is a 140 mil rd trip and some wheeling on day old gears bad
Think about that statement for a second. If it is just the serpentine belt best case scenario or worst case you locked up the motor why would they mess with the gears? That is like saying you are going to the dealer to buy a tire and they want to replace the rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

No need to worry about the possibilities at this point since the Jeep is already at the dealership. Hopefully they are competent enough to diagnose things correctly.

Yea... not a great idea to throw fresh gears in without breaking them in. No idea how hard you were on them that day but 4WP should have conveyed this info to you... not surprised that they didn't though.

Regardless.. doesn't sound like the gear-swap is related to the issues you're having now. Dealership shouldn't have any reason to even check your gears nor replace them so no worries... unless 4WP didn't set them up accurately. Still though... the gear swap ( correctly done or incorrectly done) shouldn't be connected to the overheating issue.

You said that the "whining happened before"... before the trip? before the re-gear? earlier that same day?

Anyway... no idea what they would charge you if engine needs replaced. No need to speculate. They'll relay their findings soon enough.

Could you have seized that engine? Putting 60-80 miles on it as it was being starved/ losing coolant/ or whatever? ... absolutely you could have.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Brown 2 View Post
Hi Guys

The engine is completely different from the gears.

The gears are in the axles.

Normally when you re-gear there is a break in period, but I doubt you did any damage.

So update us... what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode