To lift or not to lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Red face To lift or not to lift

I am a new Jeep owner and I would like to gather some words of wisdom about lifting my Jeep. Does it change the center of gravity, any gas/mileage changes, what is the overall value, do I buy bigger tires, etc. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upholder View Post
I am a new Jeep owner and I would like to gather some words of wisdom about lifting my Jeep. Does it change the center of gravity, any gas/mileage changes, what is the overall value, do I buy bigger tires, etc. Thanks
yes to all basically.
sounds like you wont have to lift it.

This is my Signature
post #3 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Take a look at this link.
My thoughts on lifts -A Must Read if your getting one

Lifts add very little value to a jeep. You are lucky to get .10 on the dollar for most mods.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Somehow places like Starwood add an $800 dollar lift, 2k in rims and sell jk's for 85k. The rest of us not so much. The value added is to the owner for their own use. Proper bracketry and associated components will bring roll and moment points to where they need to be. Keep the lift as low as possible, follow the dirtman's advice, and swap in an LS! (Kidding about the ls, fun but not a requirement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Granite Guru

Value can actually be adversely affected if the suspension system is not a quality brand, poorly installed, etc. Sometimes it comes down to preference as well - some folks hate X brand but swear by Y brand, others don't care. Some people hate body lifts, others like them - some are ok with spring spacers, while others need a full suspension system engineered for a 2" lift to be comfortable with the changes in suspension geometry, steering, etc.

Bottom line: don't do it as an investment - do it if you feel the need (however you rationalize it!) to mod YOUR jeep, not the one you plan to sell.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upholder View Post
Does it change the center of gravity, any gas/mileage changes, what is the overall value, do I buy bigger tires, etc. Thanks
1. Yes you will have a higher center of gravity.
2. Gas mileage will drop.
3. No real $$ value, but I will assume by value you meant "reason". People lift jeeps because it allows them to run larger tires, and because most people think it looks better.
4. If you lift it you will want bigger tires.

Your next post will likely be what lift should I get. The answer to that question requires more information like:

What do you plan to do with your jeep? How much can you spend?

2009 JKU

Last edited by JKommuter; 05-22-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: missed the mileage question.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Also keep in mind that theres a lot that goes into a lift kid besides struts and springs. Kits can cost as little as few hundred dollars to thousands. Most stock suspension and steering parts can't take the abuse when you have larger tires. I've learned the hard way that most parts under my jeep need to be replaced pretty soon and I have a mopar lift kit that isn't cheap.

Also keep in mind that stock wranglers are very capable vehicles. I know a stock rubicon that went everywhere I did at Rausch creek and I have a lift, 35's etc. etc.

With the amount and type of offroading I do, I'm actually going back to stock size tires as well. Maybe I'll see rocks too big for stock tires once a year if that.

Not talking smack but based off of what you asked and how you asked it, you probably will never NEED to have your jeep lifted. I wouldn't even bother if I was you. Invest in good tires, if you have a sport maybe look into regearing or atleast lockers. Throw a few skid plates under there and you'll be fine.

This is my Signature
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post

1. Yes you will have a higher center of gravity. Therefore you will definitely turn over and have to face the embarrassment and expense.

2. Gas mileage will drop. Unless you change the gear ratio front and rear and only drive down hill and with the wind at your back.

3. No real $$ value, but I will assume by value you meant "reason". BUT you will look really cool. People lift jeeps because it allows them to run larger tires, and because most people think it looks better. And it allows you to look down and see cleavage and other female things.

4. If you lift it you will want bigger tires. Cool bigger tires have to get mounted on cool, bigger rims. In other words you'll need a rim job.

Your next post will likely be what lift should I get and why don't other Jeeps wave at me?

The answer to that question requires more information like: Other Jeeps don't wave at you because you're just stock and you are therefore not cool.

What do you plan to do with your jeep? How much can you spend?
FIFY

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Damn I knew I forgot something. Thanks Cajun.

2009 JKU
post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Minimum amount of lift to accommodate the tire size you decide to settle with. Take full flexing into account (disco'ed). Remember tire size will eventually trigger other mandatory upgrades. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode