Engine over heating mystery - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Engine over heating mystery

I am helping a friend who is having an issue with his engine over heating. Here is what we have done and know:
- No white smoke out the tail pipe so we know the head gaskets are good.
- No obvious loss of coolant around the intake, thermostat or hoses
- No catalytic convertor so that is not plugged
- No muffler so no restrictions there
- Exhaust has not kicks or major dents in it
- Thermostat has been removed (After the new one did not solve the problem)
- New water pump was installed
- Radiator flows coolant but with all the times it overheated not to sure it is still good.

If any one has any ideas on what else to check let me know as I am out of ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Was the overheating accompanied by any changes to the Jeep?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No, one day it was running fine and the next it started over heating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

how hot did it get?

This is my Signature
post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

and, of course , aside from functioning, the fan is powering at both of it's variable temp settings appropriately? Are there and DTCs being thrown?
you do not state any details or model related facts to work with but , fwiw,
3.8L has a 195F thermostat.
It's fan engages once the temp reaches 215F, and will turn off when the temp falls back to approx 195F.

stock, JKs temp can run anywhere up to 215F-depending on load /speed - prior to the fan coming on.

some common causes for overheating BEFORE it occurs can include:
Low coolant in the radiator ( you said it is flowing so ..)
Is there mud/debris in the radiator or between the A/C condenser fins? It can really get in between these two coolers...
winch or stuff impeding or obstructing air in front of the grill (lights or winch)
bad radiator cap is elusive but a big big cause of this sometimes...been replaced?
You said it wasnt bad radiator hoses
Did anyone verify the relay that is connected tothe upper corner of the radiator is working to regulate the voltage?
that leaves a crappy or inoperative fan; caan you free spin the fan by hand with the engine off ( of course) and it spins freely? If not it is fouled

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-16-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

As above stated, mud between the radiator and the ac condenser is often overlooked and the cause for an intermittent overheating.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

Garage

over flow hose good? if its cracked or has a pin hole you may be introducing air into the system

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #8 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I guess if allllll that passes & you're JK's still gettin' hot
one could resort to searching under one's nose on the subject...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-...mp-sensor.html

welcome ,by the way , to jkowners, @peanut74

post #9 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry, I missed the most important information the vehicle details. It is a 1997 automatic wrangler so the electronics on it are minimal and does on have electronic fan but does have a clutched fan. That all appears to be working properly when running in park.

As for debris between the radiator and a/c cooler there was a little bit but not enough to affect the engine cooling.

When I said it got hot it was still hot to the touch an hour after it was turned off. I was surprised that none of the wiring melted.

This one really has me stumped. Could the transmission or transfer case cause the motor to overheat? It is an automatic and has been sticking some.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Granite Guru

97, if the radiator is original it could be clogged. Good news is those radiators or relitivly cheap.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Clutch fan should NOT spin freely if spun by hand, if it does you need a new clutch

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #12 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

ALASHA likes this.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappies View Post
Clutch fan should NOT spin freely if spun by hand, if it does you need a new clutch
I just want to clarify this statement a little. You should be able to turn it by hand, you should feel a load on the fan. If the fan spins without any resistance the clutch is bad and if it doesn't turn without trying to turn the belt also the clutch is bad.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

not that I'm un-empathetic or unwilling to help but once I exerted energy and thought via honest desire to assist another Jeeper with an issue that is superbly documented ( now knowing the concept fully: I.e.- a '97 ) I kinda am turned-off by the fact that the same courtesy wasn't extended by OP and folks come on here seeking savvy, knowledgeable Jeep advice but ask ambiguous and undetailed questions that aren't even about the model this site is here because of.
I have i6 , pre JK JKU Jeeps but cmon. This place is bloody called JKOwners, for cryin' out loud.
JK owners.

OP: this should be moved to appropriate sub section ( "Jeep TJ " I believe )
RubiCajun likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-17-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode