What the heck is this? I want to remove it. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

What the heck is this? I want to remove it. - UPDATE - MORE PICS

Today I just picked up an Anvil Grey Rubicon X, and love it. One thing done to it "aftermarket" is this box underneath the dash. I never trust other people's handy work, so I want to remove it. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Any recommendations to remove it? I can follow all of the wires to where they go except for the blue wire that goes down the side of the valve cover then vanishes I think into the wire loom. What about the other electrical work at the battery? That black wire from the under dash unit turns into a red wire then is attached to the battery. I will obviously remove that. Anything else out of place? Super happy with this Jeep and it only has 20,000 miles. Just want to properly remove this one mod the previous owner did. Thank you!

One other thing. When I lock the Jeep with the fob, the horn does not go off. is this part of this box? I know this is minor, but I'd like to fix whatever is messed up before enjoying the Jeep in it's factory glory. I'm good with cars (Have pulled engines, suspension, rebuilt transmissions, etc), so I can probably do it al myself, but if not, I'll drop it off to a Jeep dealership to button up all this little crap.

I got it for a good deal, so these things we ok to me when buying, so it's all good.

Thank you,
Mike

Dug deeper tonight, and found where everything ends.

I tried to start the jeep today and it didn't even click. After moving the shifter around, it worked. I read up I may need to add a better ground. I'm fine with that, but first I'd like to remove this entire thing from the Jeep to remove all "unknown variables". I took pictures of it. One questions. It looks like the connector at the back is part of it. If I remove that, what do I have to plug a trailer in to for trailer lights? Seems like there is nothing, or did the previous owner remove something that is actually needed? Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by Huddleston; 05-04-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like a electronic trailer brake module to me. Follow that blue wire I bet it goes all the way back to the rear

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Rock God

Definitely a trailer brake controller. Do you have a 7-pin trailer connector on the rear?
I'd verify the connections were good, then I'd keep it where it was, unless you're bangin' it with your knee getting in and out...
The only thing I would do if I were in your situation is tidy up the rigging/routing of the wiring.

If I had a brake controller hooked up on my JK, it would definitely get used.

My WJ has a brake controller. It's for the tandem axle, aluminum, 6.5x14 v-nose cargo/toy hauler that gets towed, full of toys, to local destinations with mild offroad access. The WJ's overall gearing has been changed by oversize tires so it doesn't like this trailer for long hauls - fuel mileage goes out the window. I'd have no issues hookin' that trailer up to my JK for more adventurous offroad outings - no sleeping in the dirt and rain - but it would still be short hauls only.
I have a dually for the long haul and bigger trailers but it's 2wd.

Last edited by funfred; 05-02-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Wheeler

To answer the horn question you can change that under personal settings on the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 JKU Sport
3.5" AEV Lift
BushWacker Flat Fenders
Cibie Headlights
ACE Engineering Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Garage
brake controller

Definitely an electric brake controller. I would leave it. I just installed one in my JKU to pull our camper with it. It may be a must have at some point in the future.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport, @ inch Leveling Kit, Quick Disco Sway bars, Rubicon Express Skid plates, Rampage stubby front bumper, Warn M8000, Custom Hood decals.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post

It looks like the connector at the back is part of it. If I remove that, what do I have to plug a trailer in to for trailer lights? Seems like there is nothing, or did the previous owner remove something that is actually needed? Thanks for the help everyone!
you would need this:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92015_110.htm

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode