Beadlocks-Brand? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-29-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Beadlocks-Brand?

So through my discussions in this forum I am going with bead locks and would like to know what experiences you have had and with what brands. Thanks in advance!

Bengals Fan for Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 AM
Rock God

I have Hutchinson RockMonsters. No issues with function. The outer rim has gotten some rock rash but nothing bad...I can't see hurting them other than cosmetically. It's solid, doesn't trap mud like the ring type bead locks but...it is a hefty piece of work. Its plus is that it locks both beads.
(I'm a fan of most MFGs contracted by the U.S. govt, the other reason I had no problems forkin' out for the Hutchies.)

There was/is a "new" bead lock that had "easy" tire mounting that I would have considered if I knew about them when I got the Hutchies. They've been mentioned here but I don't remember the name. There was limited availability in sizes and bolt patterns then...don't know where they stand now.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Wheeler

I have run Walker Evans with no issues. I'm in the process of switching to 8lug and will be going with trailready HD17s​ based on look, price and the fact they are 100% made in the USA.

Raceline, Hutchinson, ATX are all great brands and highly used in the Jeep and race community. Pick a style you like and have at it.

If it matters I believe Hutchinson are the only DOT approved beadlock - the rest are "off-road use only". With the amount of potholes and construction we have here, It'd be hard to argue our roadways aren't considered off-road. YMMV.
[email protected] likes this.

2012 JKUS - Ripp SC - 4" TeraFlex - 37x12.50r17 TR HD17s - UD60s w/ ARBs
AEV Bumper - RR Sliders - TF Hinge - RockHard Skids

Last edited by bigjimbo; 04-30-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Rock monster wheels are nice but come in 4.5" bs or 5.28" bs for a 8x6.5 lug wheel. You may need to run adapters depending on how much travel your suspension has. Since you don't have your axles yet you can have them made wider to run a long travel suspension without the extra weight of the adapters. I think Dynatrac can do up to a 72" WMS on their axles. I would consider this on any wheel that is 4.5" BS or more. Ideally a 3.0 Bs with 68.5" WMS would be the way to go but you cant find too many bead locks in this back spacing. If I were to do it all over again with new stuff I would go 72" WMS and forged Method bead locks as they are the lightest bead lock I have found.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I have the raceline RT 233 AL which comes with the aluminum ring. You need to get the spacers from raceline that goes between the beadlock and the wheel. The angle of the bolt without the spacer is not ideal and a lot of bolts break. I have probably gone through about 100 bolts so far. Because I don't want to break the wheels down to put the spacer in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I have run Walker Evans and Methods. Both are great.

post #7 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info everyone!! I have decided to go with Methods

Bengals Fan for Life
post #8 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Trail gear is also a nice wheel that is rarely mentioned on the forums and comes in a 3.75" back spacing on the 17"x9" wheel in 8x6.5. Weighs 45 pounds and cost $349.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #9 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Trail Ready HD17's here. No issues at all. I have decent rock rash and even across the bolt heads yet they have not come loose at all. I let them go for over a year and several wheeling trips before even checking the torque for the first time.

If I understand things correctly, Trail Ready also manufacture the spacer rings for everyone else that you need to fit the tires with a fatter bead, like MTRs.

The one thing I do wish for is that the rock rings have better coverage of the bolt heads but that has not proven to be an issue other than an aesthetic one. And even then you could always just replace the one scratched bolt.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Trail Ready HD17's here. No issues at all. I have decent rock rash and even across the bolt heads yet they have not come loose at all. I let them go for over a year and several wheeling trips before even checking the torque for the first time.

If I understand things correctly, Trail Ready also manufacture the spacer rings for everyone else that you need to fit the tires with a fatter bead, like MTRs.

The one thing I do wish for is that the rock rings have better coverage of the bolt heads but that has not proven to be an issue other than an aesthetic one. And even then you could always just replace the one scratched bolt.
Scratched bolt? LOL. My bolt heads are mangled from the rocks.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

I run The ATX slabs with 37" Toyo MTs, love em. Have had 2 sets actually.

Thick as hell rock ring with countersunk bolts.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have run two sets of Raceline 233's. One with a steel ring and now currently with an aluminum ring.

Very happy with the Racelines. They balance well and do what they need to do for me.

The steel vs aluminum is a tradeoff. The steel doesn't get gouged on the rocks as much as just gets scratched...but you have to touch them up or they'll rust. The Aluminum rings won't rust but the rocks sure do a number in them. The Aluminum can really get gouged deep and it can leave sharp pieces.
1eviljk likes this.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 31 Old 05-01-2017, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I have the raceline RT 233 AL which comes with the aluminum ring. You need to get the spacers from raceline that goes between the beadlock and the wheel. The angle of the bolt without the spacer is not ideal and a lot of bolts break. I have probably gone through about 100 bolts so far. Because I don't want to break the wheels down to put the spacer in.

When you say break the wheel down what do you mean exactly?

All you need to do is let the air out of the tire and then remove the ring(32 bolts, I know) drop in the spacer pieces and then reinstall the ring. When I think of breaking down a wheel I think of removing the tire from the wheel.

TC

post #14 of 31 Old 05-02-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
When you say break the wheel down what do you mean exactly?

All you need to do is let the air out of the tire and then remove the ring(32 bolts, I know) drop in the spacer pieces and then reinstall the ring. When I think of breaking down a wheel I think of removing the tire from the wheel.
Yes, I meant just removing the ring. Maybe I just need to buckle down and do it. But then my ocd will kick in and then I will want to Clean the wheel real good then repaint the ring. Then butterfly.

Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 31 Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

I'll be running Trail Ready but here's a forum vendor with an interesting DOT legal setup. Just an idea/to consider too.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/vendor...ifference.html
post #16 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM
JKowners Vendor

Please feel free to ask about our BAD Wheels... There is a dramatic difference in design concept. DOT compliant, USA made, and maintenance free.
post #17 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru

I'm glad BAD WHEELS spoke up here and he sees this before he buys elsewhere. I just got done reading about your DOT compliant beadlocks and they seem awesome and at a good price. Good Job !
post #18 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADWheels View Post
Please feel free to ask about our BAD Wheels... There is a dramatic difference in design concept. DOT compliant, USA made, and maintenance free.

Maintenance free?

TC

post #19 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimbo View Post
If it matters I believe Hutchinson are the only DOT approved beadlock - the rest are "off-road use only". With the amount of potholes and construction we have here, It'd be hard to argue our roadways aren't considered off-road. YMMV.
Actually, B.A.D. Wheels are fully DOT compliant, completely maintenance free, and 100% made in the USA.

No re-torquing of bolts at all. No fear of losing air, or only being able to hold 25psi of air reliably - you can put our wheel on a Super-duty Ford with load range E tires filled to towing pressures (80psi) without any problem whatsoever.

Use of a Sacrificial Rock Ring eliminates the issues of rock-rash damaging the rim of the wheel as well. Use of a Dynamic Balance Ring does that, plus adds 11oz of dynamic balance to the whee;/tire combination so that you don't have to worry about tire shudder related to balance at any speed.

You also get our B.A.Deflator pre-installed into every B.A.D. Wheel - the quickest way to air down your tires - even quicker than removing the valve stem.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Maintenance free?
See the reply above, TCdawg....and if you have specific questions, please feel free to ask
post #21 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 07:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
There was/is a "new" bead lock that had "easy" tire mounting that I would have considered if I knew about them when I got the Hutchies. They've been mentioned here but I don't remember the name. There was limited availability in sizes and bolt patterns then...don't know where they stand now.
I'm pretty sure that was us, funfred...

We do currently only have the Eklipse17 (17x10, 3.5" BS). We're working diligently on two new size options, and hope to have them available in the next few months.
post #22 of 31 Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Rock God

I thought about that but it wasn't clickin'. I just now searched for 'em as I heard about 'em here...and I found 'em.

Turns out they aren't beadlocks, but they do provide some bead retention by design, Interco BirdDogs.
This is the only place I've heard about 'em, not that I'm much on other sites, but they caught my interest...which had subsequently waned due to a lack of further info.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/jk-new...beadlocks.html
post #23 of 31 Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've befriended one of the owners online ( Facebook )of a startup Jeep vendor that recently started a 2nd business in the US that originally was a German Jeep parts reseller. They have been at EJS and SEMA and a few other trade shows in the past couple of years - tryin to build up word of mouth - and have a super attractive, seemigly stout as heck , aluminium BL for jks (& a 5x5.5 size as well) that I have been seriously considering lately .
Testing results were posted on Instagram and the things are capable.
Bawarrion also was one of the Kaiser clip sellers last season but check out the BL I think 3items down on this page.
Ulrich is a straight up nice, honest speaking guy , to boot.
If not, I'm goin with TG Creeper Locks or KMC Machete ,fwiw.
I have armor and adj CAs and a rear truss to acquire before bls, tho.

edit: that link is down . I downloaded a couple but hit Google and search their name and the Facebook result will be listed then check thier photos . Here are a couple ..

Ulrich likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-08-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #24 of 31 Old 05-04-2017, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

this was shared with me this morning and is quite a good deal

post #25 of 31 Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 AM
JKowners Vendor

@j3ff3ry_j33p told me you guys were discussing beadlocks. So I thought you might be intersted in these from DV8/Rev Wheel. Click the image below to see them on my site. currrently waiting on them to arrive. Should be next week. -20 offset for 4" BS and 0 offset for 4.75" BS.

Have a fantastic day everyone.

Allen

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode