My JeeP's story... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Cod
  • 1 Post By RubiCajun
  • 1 Post By StubEXrube
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Age: 44
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 reviews
My JeeP's story...

bought it in early 2013, used, had 140 000km on the counter, and a carproof incident with a value of 1200$... side hit front passenger side... 1200$ here in Qc is like fender+bumper+hardware+labor. The parts are pretty expensive compared to the US side of the border... anyways...

1 year in, I added a 3" Zone Offroad kit (1000$ installed price and the alignment shop told me they were not able to get it straight!) and about 1 year later I added a set of 35x12.5r15 Wrangler MTR Kevlar ...about 3 months later I got the Smitybilt tire carrier replacement for up to 37"..that's been holding the 35"s very well since!.. added a few details along the way too like a 13" antenna, the tail lights armor...(only 2 winters and it's already rusting it's way to the garbage can!), redid the front grill to include gutter gards between the slots and bedlined the windshield brackets since they'd get scratched alot in the woods.. at the end of that summer, when I had to put my winter tires back on which are on the oem 18" rims, 31.5" tires, I got my first DeathWobble at about 90Km/h and not in a place where you want those things to happen! not that I'd want it to happen again but you know, a straight line is easier to deal with than in a turn... just sayin'... so got it to the garage and they said : ball joints, tie-rod, drag-link need to be changed... 2500$ later I get told the same thing from their alignment shop that nope, can't get it on the dot either!!! .... hmmmm and well, ever since I got that lift kit, something's been off in the handling on the road... so I start digging as much info as I can on the components involved... one day I asked my gf to turn the wheels while I watch... I almost puked!.. the oem track bar was bending!!! and no, not slightly! it was BENDING!!!... so called the shop and was told it was normal and to change my steering damper... !???! ...finally decided to order a Currie Enterprise front trackbar What a relief!!! the handling was almost perfect!!! ...and has been pretty much ever since...except... huhu...so winter is over, back to the mighty 35" season! hehe... all got smoothly.. except for that weird grinding noise I hear from time to time.. oh wait...every time I break... oops....the rear disk driver side is almost glowing... ok but this I can do myself right?... well, almost! took help of a friend and my gf's car for a new caliper! the cylinder blew up and was broken in pieces stuck in there... the pad was on metal and grinding the disk.. very ugly stuff!!! ... so changed all 4 disks and all pads except for the hand break one... looked good. Took me 12h total ... still learning so.. cost, 500$ ...not bad. By the end of the season, my front started to shake pretty bad but it wasnt another DW.. just shaking.. alot! Back to the shop : front passanger side ball joints need to be changed, cost : 30$ ...hehe, yeah I take those 3 year warranties ...you know just incase this! ...6 months later, on dry pavement with the winter boots on, I hear a weird metal noise... ggRrrRrr... stop and park to have a look and arff... tie-rod and steering damper are both bad...the damper leaked and the tie-rod is slack...back to the shop, they start to growl a bit about it not being normal since all bars have been changed in the past 2 years... so they do the work but I'll need to send them an alignment proof at a place of my choosing... so yet another shop....recommends yet another alignment shop... get there and 20 minutes after the Jeep is on the machine, the guy comes to me and says : Hi, you have a problem! Your front diff is bent!!! Front passanger side, the top is bent inwards... I almost puked on him! you know reflex... so went back home and went back to digging....looking... digging.. comparing.... and it might just be the knuckle.. which would make more sens... at least to my wallet!!! but hey, Jeep! Just Empty Every Pocket right!? Besides... I love my JeeP! 184 000Km and counting!!!
MaaMohTh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Rock God
 
coilrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lower mainland
Age: 52
Posts: 1,617
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

...preventative...maintenance...krown was a popular rust reducer when I lived in ontario...watch Planman's Youtube video on death wobble...find new shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
coilrod is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!
 
Cod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Age: 49
Posts: 3,719
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Cod

My eyes will not allow me to read that post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Cod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Comfortably Numb
 
RubiCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,289
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaMohTh View Post
bought it in early 2013, used, had 140 000
Whatawalloftext. So I had a 4 " X 3" spot on my Rubi painted. Approx 1 month later I noticed that one of the molecules appeared to be fading. I noted the area and made note to check back in a few weeks but some relatives came in and they had a bunch of kids and it was my wife's second cousin twice removed and I never did like him because of his halitosis, but I put up with it by chewing cinnamon gum and wadding it up, then sticking it up my nostrils. Well they stayed a few days to many and then they left and when walking by my Jeep I remembered to check that spot and damned it if that fucking molecule hadn't changed about 1 shade since I last looked. But worse than that was the fact that there now appeared to be other molecules fading. I got out my microscope and counted them. There were 45 in a 1 RCH X 1/2 RCH area. Any way this continued all summer. It wasn't until the fall when I went into the garage to get a tool that I walked by that 1 RCH X 1/2 RCH area and noticed that it changed from faded to original color in the blink of an eye. I backed off and then walked towards it again and that's when I noticed that the faded area was actually caused by me walking through a reflected part of a refracted beam of light from the garage light bulb. I talked bad to myself about that instance of stupidity as I walked back to the house when I noticed what appeared to be light, actual light emanating from the back porch light. I pulled up a chair and stared at that light for an hour before entering the house only to find that I had strange rainbow colors in my vision that reminded me of some of my escapades in the sixties experimenting with different chemicals. Any way I love my Jeep.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
RubiCajun is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Rock God
 
coilrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lower mainland
Age: 52
Posts: 1,617
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Cajun, your paint story would be easier with more ellipses. ...or cow bell
An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
So just how much did OP condense to come up with his wall of text?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
coilrod is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Age: 44
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 reviews

hehehe bha, it's been one heck of a ride since I bought it and I tought I'd share.

Sorry for making your eyes bleed, I kinda forgot to hit enter every few sentences
MaaMohTh is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Comfortably Numb
 
RubiCajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,289
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Cajun, your paint story would be easier with more ellipses. ...or cow bell
An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.
So just how much did OP condense to come up with his wall of text?
Could you possibly expand on that?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
RubiCajun is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,804
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaMohTh View Post
bought it in early 2013, used, had 140 000km on the counter, and a carproof incident with a value of 1200$... side hit front passenger side... 1200$ here in Qc is like fender+bumper+hardware+labor. The parts are pretty expensive compared to the US side of the border... anyways...

1 year in, I added a 3" Zone Offroad kit (1000$ installed price and the alignment shop told me they were not able to get it straight!) and about 1 year later I added a set of 35x12.5r15 Wrangler MTR Kevlar ...about 3 months later I got the Smitybilt tire carrier replacement for up to 37"..that's been holding the 35"s very well since!.. added a few details along the way too like a 13" antenna, the tail lights armor...(only 2 winters and it's already rusting it's way to the garbage can!), redid the front grill to include gutter gards between the slots and bedlined the windshield brackets since they'd get scratched alot in the woods.. at the end of that summer, when I had to put my winter tires back on which are on the oem 18" rims, 31.5" tires, I got my first DeathWobble at about 90Km/h and not in a place where you want those things to happen! not that I'd want it to happen again but you know, a straight line is easier to deal with than in a turn... just sayin'... so got it to the garage and they said : ball joints, tie-rod, drag-link need to be changed... 2500$ later I get told the same thing from their alignment shop that nope, can't get it on the dot either!!! .... hmmmm and well, ever since I got that lift kit, something's been off in the handling on the road... so I start digging as much info as I can on the components involved... one day I asked my gf to turn the wheels while I watch... I almost puked!.. the oem track bar was bending!!! and no, not slightly! it was BENDING!!!... so called the shop and was told it was normal and to change my steering damper... !???! ...finally decided to order a Currie Enterprise front trackbar What a relief!!! the handling was almost perfect!!! ...and has been pretty much ever since...except... huhu...so winter is over, back to the mighty 35" season! hehe... all got smoothly.. except for that weird grinding noise I hear from time to time.. oh wait...every time I break... oops....the rear disk driver side is almost glowing... ok but this I can do myself right?... well, almost! took help of a friend and my gf's car for a new caliper! the cylinder blew up and was broken in pieces stuck in there... the pad was on metal and grinding the disk.. very ugly stuff!!! ... so changed all 4 disks and all pads except for the hand break one... looked good. Took me 12h total ... still learning so.. cost, 500$ ...not bad. By the end of the season, my front started to shake pretty bad but it wasnt another DW.. just shaking.. alot! Back to the shop : front passanger side ball joints need to be changed, cost : 30$ ...hehe, yeah I take those 3 year warranties ...you know just incase this! ...6 months later, on dry pavement with the winter boots on, I hear a weird metal noise... ggRrrRrr... stop and park to have a look and arff... tie-rod and steering damper are both bad...the damper leaked and the tie-rod is slack...back to the shop, they start to growl a bit about it not being normal since all bars have been changed in the past 2 years... so they do the work but I'll need to send them an alignment proof at a place of my choosing... so yet another shop....recommends yet another alignment shop... get there and 20 minutes after the Jeep is on the machine, the guy comes to me and says : Hi, you have a problem! Your front diff is bent!!! Front passanger side, the top is bent inwards... I almost puked on him! you know reflex... so went back home and went back to digging....looking... digging.. comparing.... and it might just be the knuckle.. which would make more sens... at least to my wallet!!! but hey, Jeep! Just Empty Every Pocket right!? Besides... I love my JeeP! 184 000Km and counting!!!

(meaning no disrespect to OP but )is this what it used to be like when trying to read my posts from 5-6 years ago?

I get it because that is even too much verbiage for me to process.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Rock God
 
ChuckTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chester, WV
Age: 26
Posts: 919
Feedback: 0 reviews

You fucking canooks write worse than you drive. That's saying something.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChuckTheRipper is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Rock God
 
2Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 979
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Please don't group us all together... I swear we're pretty nice people and the food is good.

I read something about buying a Jeep, then something about brakes. I'll go ahead and assume the OP still drives a Jeep.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
2Door is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
StubEXrube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 15,341
Garage
Feedback: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
(meaning no disrespect to OP but )is this what it used to be like when trying to read my posts from 5-6 years ago?

Yes.

OP... When this guy has processing issues... we all have processing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Please don't group us all together... I swear we're pretty nice people and the food is good.

I read something about buying a Jeep, then something about brakes. I'll go ahead and assume the OP still drives a Jeep.
Same... all this.

Welcome to a very laid-back and hospitable forum. The minefields from here on out are much less daunting... assuming that you do something to break-up those WOT's.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Rock God
 
Nucleophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 821
Feedback: 2 reviews

Exactly how is this guy determining that you have a bent front axle tube? Let me guess, your camber is out of spec. News flash, they come from the factory out of spec! Do not assume the axle tube is bent because the camber is out of spec.

Use a straight edge or better yet an alignment bar shoved thru the entire axle housing to determine if it is truly bent.
Nucleophile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome