Under hood air compressors?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Under hood air compressors??

I live in NC and spend quite a bit of time beach running. Problem is, dropping the air pressure in my tires is becoming quite "tiresome" as I have to bring an air tank to get them back up to a reasonable pressure to get me to a station where I'll spend $5 getting them where they should be. Found several online, but with few pics of them installed. Hoping y'all who have them, could post some pics and give your opinions whether you like them or not, or even if it's worth the trouble. Keep in mind, mine is a '15 Sport, so no lockers.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Wheeler

I have the kit I linked below. Takes my 37's from 10psi up to 30psi in about 3 mins each. I'm not home so I don't have pictures handy. It also does my front air locker

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...mpressor-mount

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tenderfoot752 and Mhelman72 like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nice kit! Looks like most I've seen mount to the master cylinder. Is that where yours mounts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Under the hood is not a great place to but the compressor because of the extra heat and to a small issue adding more weight to the front of the vehicle. If you can find the room mount it in back where you can easily get to it.
Tenderfoot752 likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Under the hood is not a great place to but the compressor because of the extra heat and to a small issue adding more weight to the front of the vehicle. If you can find the room mount it in back where you can easily get to it.
Thanks for the input! All opinions are appreciated. This IS something I'm going to do, (unlike plasti-dipping my wheels, lol) so the more info I get, the better informed decision I can make!

post #6 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Due to Underhood heat, IF you mount the compressor under there you should have the good open and the engine OFF when running the compressor to fill tires.

I have MORE Dual battery mount so electrical drains like that aren't something I worry about. But I am concerned about keeping my compressor from over heating. I have sent portable compressors into thermal shut down before due to heat and duty cycle. Even though I have upgraded to a constant duty compressor (100% duty cycle) I have it mounted inside over my rear wheel well.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I would not put it under the hood either. If you look at the specs of the compressor it has a normal operating temp. at around 150*. With your engine running around the 200* mark and the air temps under the hood you are at or over the normal operating temperature of the air compressor before you even start to use it. You will pre-maturely wear it out and\or blow fuses when you start to use it. Almost everyone I know who has an ARB or comparable compressor mounted under the hood has blown fuses. An overheated compressor will draw more amps.

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #8 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

all of this discussion and questioning of where to mount a compressor ( heat under hood) or how to find-room inside( I wheel with a 37" spare in the rear cargo area & use underseats for hiLift, tools, guns, & a bunch of other stuff so,really,there's no room ) to place it without shelling-out $500 for the swank, under-seat dual comp ARB thing is why I said to heck with the OBA ( even tho' I would really like to have it)and just spent a little more for the highest CFM portable compressor available and just fit the viair 440p wherever I can, usually lashed-down in middle of the spare with a strap.
I'm just chiming-in because of irony; I was searching just this past weekend - again-
for some possible way to get the thing either under hood on a mount-bracket(440p gets too hot&is too big I think) or ( as theDirtman wisely suggests) atop wheelwell in back ..I believe the wheel-well is the only location I could get the thing mounted to. I know as hot as my Jeeps exhaust-mani gets I sure don't want a compressor that has it's own exhaust tubes sitting on top of it, to be sure. So, I cont to just lug it around.

post #9 of 29 Old 04-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have a 2dr and removed the back seat (it will never go back in). I would have been content with a Viair portable after finding the short comings of cheaper compressors. But '12+ automatic transmission JKs have use a selectable locker in the rear. I ended up getting an air locker so I needed OBA. The 450 OBA kit was a Christmas gift. If I was buying it I would have gone with the 430 or 440.
pairodice likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 AM
Rock God

Powertank is an option.
post #11 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 AM
DaK
Rock God

Am running the ARB twin with the M.O.R.E mounting plate under the hood. Below is a link on how and where it fits with an sPOD next to it which is my current setup.

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/arb-...-07-14-jk.html

As for the comments of having it mounted under the hood, I have had no problems in the two/three yrs its been mounted and used from under the hood. While airing up I leave the hood raised and have had no problems with any component of the system. Some people put it under the passenger seat. I did not do this because SWMBO'ed normally sits in the JEEP while during air up. And NONE OF US WANT TO HEAR how loud and annoying the air compressor is during a two hr ride home. Do we? Have read about people mounting them in the back of the Jeep but again, the noise during air up and then the "noise" on the way home to which NONE of us want to deal with makes the under the hood install, IMO, the best option.

Mine is also run through the sPOD. Some people put the switch next to the unit under the hood.

M.O.R.E and Rebel Off Road have install videos you can view. Just gotta google 'em.

Oh, wheel 37x13.5 R17s. Lots of volume to air up...never timed it but from 10 PSI to 30 PSI takes about 3 minutes per tire at an elevation of 2600'.
Jkbroc and Tenderfoot752 like this.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Powertank is an option.
i have always gone back to this , Fred. Cost is one factor for me but more than that is having to find a welding material shop to get it refilled + stories of those same places wanting to swap your nice power tank with a prefiilled one but I guess that depends upon the location . Still gotta mount it or make room . The air tool option is nice,admittedly.

post #13 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input, guys! A lot of valid points for and against, so I guess it really just comes down to personal preference and application. So, when I make my decision and install, I'll re-open this thread.

post #14 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
Am running the ARB twin with the M.O.R.E mounting plate under the hood. Below is a link on how and where it fits with an sPOD next to it which is my current setup.

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/arb-...-07-14-jk.html

As for the comments of having it mounted under the hood, I have had no problems in the two/three yrs its been mounted and used from under the hood. While airing up I leave the hood raised and have had no problems with any component of the system. Some people put it under the passenger seat. I did not do this because SWMBO'ed normally sits in the JEEP while during air up. And NONE OF US WANT TO HEAR how loud and annoying the air compressor is during a two hr ride home. Do we? Have read about people mounting them in the back of the Jeep but again, the noise during air up and then the "noise" on the way home to which NONE of us want to deal with makes the under the hood install, IMO, the best option.

Mine is also run through the sPOD. Some people put the switch next to the unit under the hood.

M.O.R.E and Rebel Off Road have install videos you can view. Just gotta google 'em.

Oh, wheel 37x13.5 R17s. Lots of volume to air up...never timed it but from 10 PSI to 30 PSI takes about 3 minutes per tire at an elevation of 2600'.

Agreed. I have my dual ARB under the hood with no issues. Was on the MORE mount but had to fab one up as the MORE mount didn't fit with the larger brake booster for my oneton swap. Still somewhat same position just farther forward. Running it with a Switchpro and a remote chuck mounted on the bumper.

Quote:
adding more weight to the front of the vehicle.
Respect a lot of what you post but that's too much. Come on, the ARB kit only weighs like 20lbs.

post #15 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

[QUOTE

Respect a lot of what you post but that's too much. Come on, the ARB kit only weighs like 20lbs.[/QUOTE]

It all adds up. Weight distribution is often over looked on builds until your done.
BlackOps82 likes this.

Some build info here:

post #16 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
The air tool option is nice,admittedly.
That's surely a second reason to buy one.
I didn't initially get mine 15 years ago for Jeepin' but, since I have it, it's come in handy in that role. Recently, I picked up a 5lb aluminum bottle from my welding supply shop. It's definitely more manageable in the JK but I haven't gotten around to installing a mount. It gets strapped down to the rear floor (no seat) along with the the fire extinguisher, just like I did with my 15lb PowerTank.

As you mentioned, finding a gas supply can be an issue. My local welding shop has been good to me. I always get my bottles back. Filling and testing, when needed, is about $15 each for the 15lb-er.

The third reason, an advantage that has come into play numerous times, I can use 'em anywhere. I top off all the tires in my quite sizable stable of vehicles (lawn tractor, quad, four trailers - one of which has a tire machine, a dozen bikes and four vehicles), it goes from the basement shop (with pneumatic bike lift) to the garage and to the back of the 'Vette for midnight roadside rescues...nothin' like whippin' out an air gun on the side of the highway when your buddy's gooseneck blows a tire during a delivery at three in the morning.

Everyone's needs are different. I'm fortunate to have already had the Powertank. It's fulfilled the subsequent Jeep usage well enough that I can't imagine ever installing a "light duty" compressor for less utility.

Last edited by funfred; 04-25-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

I like the MORE one for doubles. I have a single ARB mounted with the EVO mount on the master cylinder. Then I made a custom over engine mount for two twins. The connectors get hot. I am going to run a stainless line to the exterior to keep it cooler.

You can see the single compressor under the manifold where all the air lines tie in.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-

post #18 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM

I had an oba(Viair), worked well, about 3 minutes each tire. Then bought a smittybilt portable from 4wd.com, love it because I can take it in either vehicle. Now though I want a Power tank(orcheaper version like smittybilt). The buddies I wheel with swear by them. Fills up FAST! Around a minute each.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith B. View Post
I like the MORE one for doubles. I have a single ARB mounted with the EVO mount on the master cylinder. Then I made a custom over engine mount for two twins. The connectors get hot. I am going to run a stainless line to the exterior to keep it cooler.

You can see the single compressor under the manifold where all the air lines tie in.

5 air compressors is the most I've seen , I believe; one for each tire and then one for the locker activation ? you're in a different league altogether, Keith, heh

post #20 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Wheeler

I have the ARB twin compressor mounted under front passenger seat. I have lockers and its not too load and barely turns on except the initial fill and that's for less than a minute. It also airs tires up relatively quick and can run air tools.

2014 Black JKU Rubicon X, 3.5" RK x-factor lift, 37x12.5R17 on Procomp 7032.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
5 air compressors is the most I've seen , I believe; one for each tire and then one for the locker activation ? you're in a different league altogether, Keith, heh
I think of it as three. Five just makes me seem ridiculous.
j3ff3ry_j33p and zaqsdad like this.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-

post #22 of 29 Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Granite Guru

Well I've been running an ARB compressor under the hood of my Jeeps for the past 20 years or so and haven't yet had one fail. I have had my compressor over heat, blow a fuse, or shut down. I heard one of the ARB reps that was at the EJS this year telling another guy to mount their compressor under the hood and that it would be just fine.

I also have to laugh at the added weight up front. If it mounted on the break booster, it's between axles just like if it was mounted under the seat. The added weight of the compressor up front is negligible, now if your talking about a 250 pound front bumper then yes you would have a point.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
post #23 of 29 Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!

I had one fail under the hood. Like I said about the weight, it is small but all the stuff you put on your jeep adds up and your front corner weight is way more then the rear from the factory. Placing a 20lb compressor in the front of the jeep has the impact on the front to rear ratio of 40lbs. The more weight you have up front the more understeer a vehicle will have. Adding weight in the rear smooths out ride on the rear axle. A heavy front and light rear that does not have frequency matched coils (no kit is) is going to have a rougher ride vs a front to rear balanced vehicle at speed. Anti squat and brake dive are affected by the front to rear weight ratio of the vehicle. Anti squat and brake dive are a result of weight shifting from the front to the rear and vise versa. A heavy front vehicle will have more energy transferred to the rear requiring a heavier coil to absorb the weight, or a suspension designed to absorb the weight to the chassis. If going the heavier rate your rear ride quality will suffer. You can experience more front coil unloading from an unbalanced load. On steep climbs near vertical with a heavy front end the weight will shift from the front coils to the rear pushing the front of the jeep away from the cliff face with the potential rear roll over. A heavy front may require a longer coil to match the rear in terms of ride height which just makes things worse. On an unbalanced vehicle the more you add to the heavy side makes it worse where adding to the light side makes it better.

These things are reasons why I encourage people to use aluminum front pumpers and fenders and synthetic winch lines (safety too).

The only reason people run their air compressor under the hood is because ARB makes a bracket to mount it there so I guess I am dumb to even suggest installing it in the rear, ideally the rear driver side corner because your cross weight ratio has affects on handling as well and your factory fuel tank in on the passenger side.
Wannarun likes this.

Some build info here:

post #24 of 29 Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I had one fail under the hood. Like I said about the weight, it is small but all the stuff you put on your jeep adds up and your front corner weight is way more then the rear from the factory. Placing a 20lb compressor in the front of the jeep has the impact on the front to rear ratio of 40lbs. The more weight you have up front the more understeer a vehicle will have. Adding weight in the rear smooths out ride on the rear axle. A heavy front and light rear that does not have frequency matched coils (no kit is) is going to have a rougher ride vs a front to rear balanced vehicle at speed. Anti squat and brake dive are affected by the front to rear weight ratio of the vehicle. Anti squat and brake dive are a result of weight shifting from the front to the rear and vise versa. A heavy front vehicle will have more energy transferred to the rear requiring a heavier coil to absorb the weight, or a suspension designed to absorb the weight to the chassis. If going the heavier rate your rear ride quality will suffer. You can experience more front coil unloading from an unbalanced load. On steep climbs near vertical with a heavy front end the weight will shift from the front coils to the rear pushing the front of the jeep away from the cliff face with the potential rear roll over. A heavy front may require a longer coil to match the rear in terms of ride height which just makes things worse. On an unbalanced vehicle the more you add to the heavy side makes it worse where adding to the light side makes it better.

These things are reasons why I encourage people to use aluminum front pumpers and fenders and synthetic winch lines (safety too).

The only reason people run their air compressor under the hood is because ARB makes a bracket to mount it there so I guess I am dumb to even suggest installing it in the rear, ideally the rear driver side corner because your cross weight ratio has affects on handling as well and your factory fuel tank in on the passenger side.
Awesome post! Weight transfer, and the dynamics of chassis weight distribution are valid points to be taken seriously in the applications you are referring to. Mine however, differ "slightly"...LOL! I don't do ANY climbing whatsoever, and occasionally hit a little mud during deer season. I ease along nice and slow on soft sand as to not upset the balance of carbonation in my "barley pop". And, to get a good look at bikinis that may be lurking in the area,😉
I just need a convenient and reliable way to air my tires back up after a day in the sand. That said, thank you all for your input!!
Jeep On!!

post #25 of 29 Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I had one fail under the hood. Like I said about the weight, it is small but all the stuff you put on your jeep adds up and your front corner weight is way more then the rear from the factory....
I'm all for the concept but most are not racing, we're not backpacking, and the change in fuel weight between empty and full is more than this. 20lbs is insignificant. Also, you can't double the impact ratio just because.

Last edited by BigPrince; 04-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode