Best place online to buy BDS Suspension? And advice needed for 37s? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Best place online to buy BDS Suspension? And advice needed for 37s?

I am wanting to do a 3" lift to my 2017 Rubicon, and put some 37" tires on it. I have found that quite a bit needs to be done to truly do it correctly, and I am ok with that, but I would like to get advice from the true pros on here. The Jeep will be living it's entire life in Kauai starting in about 4 months, and will not being doing any rock crawling, but will be driving on a lot of bad dirt roads, lots of mud, lots of high water, and beaches. It will be used and abused, but not completely tortured. I want to make sure to do this right, but also I don't like to just "upgrade stuff" when it's not needed at all.

A local place here in DFW, Texas (Still taking recomendations on places though) is putting together pricing for me to beef up my stock axels for the larger tires. This seems to be the best option as far as pricing and for what I will be using it for. I doubt I'm going to need 60s, and if I do eventually, then I can always upgrade then.

Next step is the lift itself. Per a lot of advice in person and online, I have decide to go with BDS. I want to do this once and do this right, so I went on their site and priced up everything with all upgrade parts to Fox including the shocks, and all of the adjustable suspension arms since raising the Jeep will throw off all of the stock suspension geometry, and on their site for a total of $3,232.35.

The parts were the following.....
-Started off with their 3" spring lift kit available on their site
Then added all of the offered options
-Solid sway bar end links since it's a Rubicon
-Fox 2.0 Series Shocks
-Fox 2.0 Performance Series ATS Single Stabilizer
-Adjustable Forged Flex Front UCAs
-Adjustable Forged Flex Rear UCAs with Poly bushings
-Adjustable Forged Flex Front LCAs with Poly bushings
-Adjustable Forged Flex Rear LCAs with Poly bushings
-Front Adjustable Track Bar
-Rear Adjustable Track Bar
-Front Brake Lines
-Rear Brake Lines

What do you guys think? This seems to cover everything needed for 37s accept for important body modifications (Fenders, bumpers, and spare tire carrier). Beefed up axle, and all suspension components needed though I think? Anything else under the Jeep really need to be done, and anything I am doing is too much? And where is the best place to buy this stuff online? I come from the world of sports cars so I understand suspension geometry and axles, but I am 100% new to Jeeps. Grew up with them on the islands before, but never owned or modified my own. I appreciate all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Rock God

Aloha! Boy do I miss the islands. Looking forward to getting back to the big island in a couple years.

Sounds like you have a great plan. Your suspension is a great set up and will perform beautifully. I ran the BDS 4.5" for a long time and it worked well. But to be honest, if you were in my shop I would actually try to talk you out of an all out system. For what you are doing and where you are going The full adjustable control arms are not needed. When in St. Croix, we ran a 2.5" spacer lift with a good set of shocks and when everywhere it could be pointed. Now that we are in Idaho and rock crawling, it's a very different story.

One thing you did not mention was drag link. 3.5" of lift is close to that mark where you will need to flip the drag ling in order to stay parallel to the track bar.

My recommendation is to run a dual rate spring (MetalCloak, AEV, Rock Krawler, etc) and a quality shock (love fox!). You will love on and off-road performance. Match those with a quality front upper adjustable control arm, rear lower adjustable control arm, front control arm drop brackets, front and rear track bar brackets and you will be amazed at the flex off road yet keeping highway manors as expected.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...pension-system My best friend lets me drive their AEV Rubicon all the time and I love it!

With the money savings in your lift, you could put that towards gearing. 4.88s with 37s would make a world of difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the drag link. What is the reasoning for a dual rate spring vs linear? Im impressed with what I've heard about the BDS Spring, but I am also still learning. I remember with my track cars, I avoided any non linear spring because I needed a constant rate, but of course, this is a Jeep, and that mentality of mine may need to go out the window.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Aloha! Boy do I miss the islands. Looking forward to getting back to the big island in a couple years.

Sounds like you have a great plan. Your suspension is a great set up and will perform beautifully. I ran the BDS 4.5" for a long time and it worked well. But to be honest, if you were in my shop I would actually try to talk you out of an all out system. For what you are doing and where you are going The full adjustable control arms are not needed. When in St. Croix, we ran a 2.5" spacer lift with a good set of shocks and when everywhere it could be pointed. Now that we are in Idaho and rock crawling, it's a very different story.

One thing you did not mention was drag link. 3.5" of lift is close to that mark where you will need to flip the drag ling in order to stay parallel to the track bar.

My recommendation is to run a dual rate spring (MetalCloak, AEV, Rock Krawler, etc) and a quality shock (love fox!). You will love on and off-road performance. Match those with a quality front upper adjustable control arm, rear lower adjustable control arm, front control arm drop brackets, front and rear track bar brackets and you will be amazed at the flex off road yet keeping highway manors as expected.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...pension-system My best friend lets me drive their AEV Rubicon all the time and I love it!

With the money savings in your lift, you could put that towards gearing. 4.88s with 37s would make a world of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode