Rear dif drip? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rear dif drip?

I just noticed some drips on my garage floor right about where my rear differential is. When I did a quick look under the Jeep, I noticed what looked to be gasket material hanging down below the dif cover. I am gonna have to take a closer look at it when I get home tonight. Sh!t!

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just went out and looked at my rear dif. There is a little bit of impact damage on the dif right where the cover and the housing meet, and there is gasket material hanging down and a slow drip drip drip.

Any idea what that will cost to fix?

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
I just went out and looked at my rear dif. There is a little bit of impact damage on the dif right where the cover and the housing meet, and there is gasket material hanging down and a slow drip drip drip.

Any idea what that will cost to fix?
I am pretty sure I have a stock one sitting in my garage..I will look tonight.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My feelings for my local dealer may be improving. They are saying it might be covered under warranty.....I am taking it in Monday. Thanks SDMF. I looked at it a little more closely, and it looks more like a drag across a rock as opposed to a bang into a rock. Looks like the gasket material that was along the edge of the cover and the housing got scraped off. Looks like dif guards are next.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Whatever the case, just be glad that you noticed it at a time when you can actually address it. Sucks to find out on the trail or miles from home, that your diff is taking a leak.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You are correct, sir.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Rock God

The first thing I did to my JK last year was catch the diff cover and on a rock while running Barrett lake trail in CA. I have yet to get it to stop, so I'll replace it when I do my gears. This weekend I did Barrett again, and now thef ront leaks. If you haven't done so, go under your diff with a grinder and recess the cover a little.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will be keeping the gears at 4.10, so I am gonna get it fixed. I did not realize that the cover hung down. Thats pretty lame. I think that a 4x4 Dr dif guard is forthcoming.

post #9 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Granite Guru

1/4 inch Diff cover

Just make ya one of these....1/4 inch thick, yea, that's what I'm talken bout...

2008 X- Red Rock, w/Rockwells on the install

post #10 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea...Just make you some of those! Man those are sweet, Paul. You have got some skills. The welds look good, 1/4" steel, and the reinforcment on the bottom looks like the right idea to avoid impact damage. Very impressive. I'm going to go out to the garage tomorrow and snap my fingers and see what happens...lol
post #11 of 18 Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Granite Guru

If you are going to wheel it, get used to diff leaks. The cover lip will get tweaked, and thus drip. It is a simple fix to put more rtf behind the cover but a pita. Look into a beefier cover or put a drip pan under the jeep.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #12 of 18 Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So if the dealer does not fix it under warranty, all I need to do is drain the dif, remove the cover, scrape off the silicone gasket, put on a new gasket, put the cover back on and then refill with gear oil? I think I could do that.

post #13 of 18 Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Make sure that you torque the diff cover bolts to about 30- 35 lbs. or they may keep leaking. Recommend 80/90 in the front and 75/140 in the rear (that's JMO). I would snug all the bolts down and then torque in a star pattern. Make sure you don't overfill the diffs. Just fill to slightly under the top fill hole on OEM covers. An overfilled diff may vent thru the diff breather hose but could also cause damage to your axle tube seals.

If you don't have one yet, this would be a good time to pick up a torque wrench at your local auto supply store. It is a great investment and won't break the bank. It is something everyone should have...and use.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
So if the dealer does not fix it under warranty, all I need to do is drain the dif, remove the cover, scrape off the silicone gasket, put on a new gasket, put the cover back on and then refill with gear oil? I think I could do that.
Essentially. Look for burrs on the bottom of the cover. File them smooth if there are any. As mentioned, torquing the bolts appropriately is a good idea.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #15 of 18 Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a torque wrench and a file, so I am ready! Thanks for the info.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-02-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2 Riddler dif covers are on their way.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Wheeler

I would also MAKE SURE that the diff cover does NOT hang below the diff housing and if it does grind it down so it doesn't. This helps keep rock from pulling the cover away from the housing.

Keep it on all 4 when necessary

2007 jeep wrangler Rubicon named RubyDoo
Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 8274 winch 1988, Skid row skid plate, TF 2.5 BB with shock extenders and Unlimited Rubicon springs, ProComp XTerrains 35x12.50x17, Cragar 345 17" steel wheels, Turbo muffler and custom tail pipe, AEM 3" x9" cone air filter, Alloy usa front axle shafts, ARB and Master Air Compressors with 2.5 gal tank, 30x36 storage box full of stuff.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That is good advice. That is exactly what happened to my stock diff cover. It wont happen again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode