Questions for ppl with lil jeepers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnymurad
  • 1 Post By Keith B.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Questions for ppl with lil jeepers

Do you take the doors off with the lil jeeper in the back? I put my son in the middle in his carseat. He is 5 and a pretty good size 5. He loves the doors off and stays in his seat but I was just wondering if other ppl do the same. Also are you worried about some one taking the car seat?

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Rock God

I'm in a small town, so I don't worry about people taking shit. If they do take the car seats, hopefully they are being good parents and having their kids ride in them. Valuable rest in the center console. When i do have the top off and half doors on, I don't leave anything I can't live without.

I can't speaks for JKU with the doors off. I have a 2 door. I do however have half doors. So when my daughter does ride up front in a booster he is more secure and protected. The half doors are also peace and mind for the wife.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Heres my take on it, 2 door around town? sure. 4 door? not so sure.
I hate using this saying because its so cliche but look at all the lack of safety features a lot of you older jeepers had growing up and were fine. Granted there seems to be more accidents as years go on and more idiots on the roads but where do you draw the line? Does that mean nobody should put little kids in early 2000's econoboxes because of how unsafe they are? While we're at it, we should never drive at highway speeds with little kids in the vehicle as well since its so dangerous.
While we shouldn't throw caution to the wind and obviously we should do everything we can to protect our children, you can only do so much. With all the freaky, random ways people have died, you can't prevent everything. Let the kid experience some fun. Just don't be a jack*** about it.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

This was always a big deal with my wife and I. I ended up getting some tube doors for the rear. Jeep JK BLACKOUT half tube doors

My wife installed them and they are not light. She was good and so was I.

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Garage

I'll have to look into those doors. It makes my wife and I nervous for our boys to ride in the back with no doors.

"Life is like a deck of cards, only the Jokers know how to deal with it." Me
post #6 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Rock God

I have a 4 door and ride with top and doors off all summer and fall. My 5 year old has a Recaro high back booster seat he rides in with seatbelt on of course. No issues. My 3 year old is still rock in' a cheap car seat (Safety 1st from Target) The nicer ones don't fit well. They both love it with doors off.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 04:58 PM
KJV
Granite Guru

Pretty sure the car seat in the middle is not legal anyway due to all of the "latch" requirements. I have a big 5 year old as well and rear doors stay on for the road. He is in a booster and seat belted in. My soon to be 3 year old is going to the same set up soon as he is a monster and does not fit in a car seat anymore. I'm looking into 4 point harnesses for the trails. I have a full cage and harness bars. At that point I'll feel comfortable without the doors.

2010 JKU. 3.5 RK Flex, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Method 105's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, VKS Shorty V2 with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Cage
post #8 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Haven't had hot weather up here in Canada to take my top off yet since I got it, but my daughter is 7 and she's excited to try it out. I think that she will be sitting in the middle!
post #9 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Wheeler

I drive a YJ now so it's not an issue but I owned a JKU when my son was 4 until he was 6. I never took the back doors off but would take the top and front door off. He sat in a booster seat and I always worried about him back there. I'm sure he would be fine but I could never live with myself if we would have t-boned and door would have prevented him from rolling out or crash debris from hitting him. I'm not judging anyone who feels differently just giving you my point of view.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

We put ours car seat in the middle when the doors are off, just for a little extra safety (JKU); but even at that, it's only for short trips around town or slow/scenic trail rides. She loves riding in the jeep period, but especially when it's in summer mode.

We plan to add half doors this year
post #11 of 14 Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonjeepdude View Post
Do you take the doors off with the lil jeeper in the back? I put my son in the middle in his carseat. He is 5 and a pretty good size 5. He loves the doors off and stays in his seat but I was just wondering if other ppl do the same. Also are you worried about some one taking the car seat?

Thanks

John

JKU
Have 5 and 8 yo.. have taken their doors off for short trips.. couple miles at most.. but I'm in congested suburb of D.C. That's all they get here. Anything longer they stay on til they're older. My big concern is fallin asleep and lolling out around a corner. Would go for longer in more rural area, but those are not as frequent as they should be. Tube doors seem fair compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 AM

I have a 10 and 4 year old, half tube doors in the rear were a compromise to make momma happy, I really don't think they add any safety as the 4 year olds car seat sits higher that the tube door anyways... but if it makes momma happy it makes momma happy...
midnightmudder likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 AM
Granite Guru

I run without doors regularly. My kids are 13, 9, 8, 3, and 1. I typically put the 1 year old in the middle, but the rest like being by the side without the doors.
midnightmudder likes this.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Wheeler

Just took the doors off my JKU and have been cruising around town with my little guy. My wife likes to sit in the back with him though. He is 7 months old....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode