Overland Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Overland Build

New here. Question for the experts/masses. I have a 2016 JKU Automatic. Probably 1000 pounds in accessories between winch, front rear bumpers, camping accessories interior, flat fenders, 2 inch spring lift, 33 inch tires, rock guards, lights, rack, fiberglass extra large roof top tent, 12 gallon extra gas tank, etc. etc.

Question: Planning on adding 37 tires. What is the best lift for the weight? I'm not doing rocks, mainly trails, hills, camping and for daily driving. I am thinking a 3.5 inch lift or less if possible to fit 37's. Also what is the best gear ratio? It came with 3.73 was thinking 4.88 or ?? Looking at AEV lift or Rock Crawler or OME. Thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

my 2.5 fit my 35s but I have rubbed on rocks.
so I'd atleast do a 3.5. either way you probably don't need 37s. Every rig is different of course but I've seen a decent amount with smaller tires. It depends on what you're doing with it. If you're doing it for the look and to go camping, its not needed.

This is my Signature
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Wheeler

37's are pretty large for a vehicle that you are not going to rock crawl with. You start looking at axle issues, stopping issues, etc. but if that's what you want then yes, you can get 37's under the jeep on a 3.5" lift. You ,might have to open up the fenders and backspacing on your wheels will be important to keep from rubbing. Go with a RK lift, as they push the rear axle back slightly to keep the wheel centered in the wheel well (only ones that do that). The rear coils might be too soft though once you really start to load it up. You can then go with a spacer or a heavier duty coil from tera flex or OME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2017, 05:06 AM
Rock God

I agree that 35's lend themselves better for overlanding. If you are keeping stock axles 37's alone tax them right at their limit, then the added weight of 1000lbs overlanding set up alone would also tax them right to their limit. Do both you are asking for trouble.

Also 37's really impacts gas mileage and range. With 37's, a lightweight build crawling build, and proper regearing I'm lucky to get 225 miles on a full tank of gas. I know with overlanding range is king, even with your added 12 gallons of gas I doubt you'll ever be going more than 400 miles with that 1000lb load on 37's. (I read recently that 500 is the minimum range recommended for serious overlanding. Of course this was only one experts opinion.).

The real rub... If you beef up your axles to really handle 37's and the 1000lbs of weight (Dana 60's or one tons) you will lesson your range even more cause you are adding even more (300-500lbs) of weight with the axles and the supporting driveline mods.

Sorry about the 37's rant, lol. The best lift for the weight would be OME or AEV in my opinion. These companies made their names in overlanding. And yes with some trimming you can easily get 37's under 3.5" lift

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-16-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode