Stock 2wd to 4wd conversion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mm5300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Stock 2wd to 4wd conversion

Hi, I'm new to the JK Owners forum. I had a 4wd TJ and was able to pick up a 2wd JK for a really, really good price. So after looking around and seeing some good posts, I decided to buy the 2wd and do the conversion. I'm not really going to be going off road, but it would be much easier pulling my jet skis, trailer, etc up the hill in my back yard with 4wd. I saw some really helpful posts, but I don't really think one outlined exactly what parts were needed. From what I can tell, it looks like I would at least need the following:

Front axle
Transfer case
Drive shafts
Tail shaft housing
A shorter adapter for the housing
Shifter package

Does this cover it? Since I'm not doing any off roading like a lot of people do, I'm fine with using used JK parts, unless there's something that is a good upgrade for around the same price. Also, it's a AT. Yes, I know, somebody buying an AT 2wd Jeep is a sin, but the AT for dealing with all the traffic here in Atlanta and I'm hoping to change the 2wd situation. I tried looking at some used prices for some of the parts, but I wasn't really sure how the parts matched up to what I was finding. What can I expected to roughly pay (or what would be reasonable) to pay for these parts? Thanks and I'd appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Wheeler

If you aren't off-roading why don't you just rear gear the rear and call it a day. Maybe add a locker. Cheaper and way easier

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jkbroc, I'm not sure what is involved in doing that. I just know that when I've gone up my hill towing something, I've had problems in 2wd with my TJ. Whenever I put it into 4wd, it goes up fine. Would what you mentioned help with a situation like that? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Wheeler

I truly believe so. You probably have a stock gear ratio of 3.21 or 3.73. regearing to a 4.10 or a 4.56 would put a little more power to your wheels. Adding a selectable locker like a Eaton E locker or ARB would enable you to lock the rear differential and put equal power to both wheels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the info and I'll look into that as well. Does anyone have any additional info on the conversion just in case I decide to go that way? I'm sure some people on the forum have done the conversion and I could PM them offline to get more info if possible. Thanks.
rmarriola likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode