Beadlock Wheel Help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RiverCityOffroad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Beadlock Wheel Help

Hi guys - trying to pick out beadlocks and change up wheels/tires. Few questions...

1) I'll be running PR60s at 68.5" (standard "full" width) with bolt on coilovers and long arms. What backspacing would you advise on this setup? I'm hearing 3.5" to 4.5" but would feel a lot better if someone can help me with a specific maximum before I hit clearance issues...

2) Wheel choice. I'm 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern so I need wheels to fit that. Debating 8.5-10" width ranges. Diggin the TrailReady look/quality and looking hard at the Trail Worthy Fab double D's (I know they're a vendor here and have been great with info so far!).
-Would anyone have serious hesitation on weight? TR's are under 40lbs (36ish for the narrow ones) vs the TWF are 62-64lbs.
-The TR setup would be a single beadlock 17x8.5 in 3.5" BS or more VS the TWF would be 17x10 double beadlock in 2.5" BS or more (can still do 3-3.5").

Appreciate your thoughts and input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Lift size? Tire size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Lift size? Tire size?
Sorry I neglected those. ~4.5" lift on Evo coilovers. Planning to run 40x13.5x17s Toyo MTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 AM
DJ1
Rock God

If you're going 40's, I'd run the TR's in 3.5 backspace. It's actually what I'm currently running right now but I'm only on 37's.

post #5 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

I sit at about 5" height on Curries (68.75 iirc) w/ 40" Trail Grapplers. 4" backspace TrailReadys. At full lock I just kiss the frame - paint worn off but no binding.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-30-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
If you're going 40's, I'd run the TR's in 3.5 backspace. It's actually what I'm currently running right now but I'm only on 37's.

Thank you, sounds like I still do need the 3.5" or less despite the added axle width with the 40x13.5 I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I sit at about 5" height on Curries (68.75 iirc) w/ 40" Trail Grapplers. 4" backspace TrailReadys. At full lock I just kiss the frame - paint worn off but no binding.
So I assume the TR Hardrock series is a no go then (17x10 at 4.75" BS) and I'd have rubbing issues?
TR Hardrock 024 17x10" Beadlock Wheel

Anyone have reservations about a 62-64lb wheel on the PR60s w 40s (prob 155lbs total) vs that of a 36-38lb wheel (125-130lb total)?
post #7 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

Isn't TnT's Jeep running the TR hard rock wheels? Pretty sure that's on 60s/40s.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #8 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'd recommend 3.5" back spacing. The TR Hard Rocks have the 4.75" back spacing you mentioned and I wouldn't recommend them on a JK set up with 4.5" of lift and 40s. You want less back spacing so you aren't rubbing the frame or control arms.

Here's mine on UD60s (69" WMS) with 3.5" back spaced Trail Ready and 40x13.50 Treps.

PS...stop worrying about weights. You bought one ton axles.

Rubi-8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Isn't TnT's Jeep running the TR hard rock wheels? Pretty sure that's on 60s/40s.
Excellent post - TNT was able to get me squared away. Thanks guys!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Excellent post - TNT was able to get me squared away. Thanks guys!
Do tell. Wheel spacers? Push axle forward?
post #11 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
My thoughts too. What did they have for a solution?

post #12 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am interested in their response/solution. My preference would be to run the TR 17HD wheels with 4.5" BS and 68.5-69" WMS on 40" Nittos TG.

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #13 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ben from TNT runs a 69" 1-ton WMS setup with coilovers basically in stock positions (basically the same as my in progress setup).
He's also running the 17x10" TR Hardrocks at 4.75" BS with full lock to lock steering (without limiting), no major interference, and good articulation with 40x13.5x17s (no spacers, significant stretch, or other trickery). Says at really full passenger side turn there's a spot that rubs paint on the frame but nothing major.
That's what I needed to hear, so I'll be guinea pigging that setup soon here!

Marcus - are you saying with sincerity that bringing the backspacing in 1.25" would then cause major rubbing, contact, and interference issues? I test fitted a set of 37s on 10" wide wheels with 4.5" BS today and had plenty of room to spare?
PS - I'm the Houston local who has been inviting you out to wheel lately who just did Hidden Falls. Just so you have a name w the SN.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
My thoughts too. What did they have for a solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannarun View Post
I am interested in their response/solution. My preference would be to run the TR 17HD wheels with 4.5" BS and 68.5-69" WMS on 40" Nittos TG.
Ben from TNT runs a 69" WMS axle with coilovers at basically stock positions on 40x13.5x17s running the TR Hardrocks at 17x10 on 4.75" BS. Says there is no major interference, contact, brake clearance issues, or rubbing (without spacers, major stretch, limited steering, or other trickery). Has one small spot where the driver's side frame pokes out that has paint rub off (like described above). Sounds like these wheels are GTG for my setup. TNT, Dynatrac, Larry from TR, etc. all encouraged me to try them. I test fit 37s on 4.5" BS 10" wide wheels today to test it out and had no real tight clearance spots at locked turning...So I guess I'll be guinea piggin them shortly here...

Marcus - Hello from your Houston local buddy who just recently invited you to go wheelin' at Hidden Falls (so you have a name w the SN). Are you saying if you had 1.25" more backspacing you'd have major rubbing or have to start limiting steering?
post #15 of 20 Old 04-01-2017, 06:03 AM
KJV
Granite Guru

A lower back spacing number pushes the wheels out further. The higher number will have the wheels/tires closer to the frame, causing the interference issues you are worried about.

2010 JKU. 3.5 RK Flex, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Method 105's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, VKS Shorty V2 with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Cage
post #16 of 20 Old 04-01-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV View Post
A lower back spacing number pushes the wheels out further. The higher number will have the wheels/tires closer to the frame, causing the interference issues you are worried about.
I'm versed w back spacing but appreciate your post. I'm just specifically discussing 4.75" BS on this 68.5" WMS axle setup.

Lower BS numbers also add wear to ball joints, widen track width, leave suspension and brake components less protected, and lessen road manners at speed.

Hopefully Marcus will chime in here w more real world commentary too.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM
DJ1
Rock God

If TnT can make them work on a similar setup, then I say go for it. If anything your front bottom ball joints and your rear brake calipers will be covered and better protected. You just gotta watch for frame and/or suspension rubbage at full stuff.

Pull the trigger.....

post #18 of 20 Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
If TnT can make them work on a similar setup, then I say go for it. If anything your front bottom ball joints and your rear brake calipers will be covered and better protected. You just gotta watch for frame and/or suspension rubbage at full stuff.

Pull the trigger.....

Trigger fully pulled - everything on order and paid up. Pics to follow!
post #19 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
and lessen road manners at speed.
Wut?

Andy

post #20 of 20 Old 04-07-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Wut?
Lower wheel offsets sticking the wheels out further end up with more tracking of the wheels into imperfections in the road, wandering, larger turning radius, and more jittery steering input due to less optimal scrub radius in relation to the knuckle geometry. Jeeps often run 3.5" or less offset to clear components w wide tires, but that doesn't mean it's common (check out how many wheels are available in offsets that low) or a favorable thing to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode