Lease Negotiation? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris36l

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lease Negotiation?

Im sure someone has a thread on this, i just dont physically have time to research. So any help would be appreciated. Iv purchased a new car from a dealer in the past, I was basically bouncing back and forth until i got the two battling dealers as low as they could go...

Is this a possibility for a lease? My GF and I want to get her a Jeep (like this week), but if we can get them to lower the payments, thats always a plus in my book. Im just not sure if its possible. I know what my budget is, I know what upgrades i can afford, but if they'll throw in a package or two that would be cool lol

thanks in advance, if you have experience with this id appreciate some input.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons
-Full audio upgrade (2500rms total)

Scratch Golfer +3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

Yes lease prices are usually negotiable. Keep working them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Yes lease prices are usually negotiable. Keep working them.

good to know.

Assuming working with 2 different dealers is the way to go?

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesP View Post
good to know.

Assuming working with 2 different dealers is the way to go?

My buddy started with 6 dealers and ended up with two at the end battling it out over $50/month.

aqualungs likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Why would you want a lease, let alone a lease for a Wrangler? Going to deduct those mall expeditions with the clients?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

He is to busy so we should spoon feed him answers. How about taking the time to do some research.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
He is to busy so we should spoon feed him answers. How about taking the time to do some research.
I don't think he really wants our input. I bet the dealerships love when they get the people who are fixated on the lowest possible monthly payment.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Two key variables with leasing, 1) "capitalized cost", and 2) "money factor." Capitalized cost is the rolled up actual cost of everything you're being charged for, the vehicle, add on dealer installed options, etc. Money factor is simply the interest rate of the lease divided by 24. The bullshit of dividing the interest rate by 24 is done simply to confuse the buyer. Why this is legal I have no idea, but if you want to know the interest rate you're being charged just multiply the money factor by 24.

They will add on two additional profit builders, "acquisition fee" and "disposal fee." These are just bullshit fees paid when you take delivery and drop the vehicle off at lease end. So, inside all this are a zillion ways your dealer can fleece you, or, a zillion ways you can beat down the cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 04-24-2017 at 06:57 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Two key variables with leasing, 1) "capitalized cost", and 2) "money factor." Capitalized cost is the rolled up cost of what you're paying for, the vehicle, add on dealer installed options, etc. Money factor is simply the interest rate of the lease. They will add on two additional profit builders, "acquisition fee" and "disposal fee." These are just bullshit fees paid when you take delivery and drop the vehicle off at lease end. So, inside all this are a zillion ways your dealer can fleece you, or, a zillion ways you can beat down the cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good info...

So far iv been speaking with a few dealership. Should have a better idea by tomorrow.

One odd thing i found was a Sahara vs. Sport S, same price, payments were $80 more on the Sahara. Cant make sense of it. Oh well

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #10 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Cant make sense of it. Oh well
Jeep Momma is back
post #11 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Good info...

So far iv been speaking with a few dealership. Should have a better idea by tomorrow.

One odd thing i found was a Sahara vs. Sport S, same price, payments were $80 more on the Sahara. Cant make sense of it. Oh well
Look at either the capitalized cost or the money factor and you'll find the 8" with the KY. Dealerships are scum. Approach it with this in mind and you can come away without feeling like you need a shower.

BTW, to figure the interest rate they're charging you multiply the "money factor" by 24.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Just some general tips for anyone thinking about leasing. First, make sure you can live within the mileage limits set in the lease. If it's not 15,000 miles a year you may get in trouble at the end & be required to pay a huge penalty, like $.50 per mile over the cap. So, if you go 10,000 miles over they'll ask for $5,000 over and above any other fees. Before you sign off on a lease look closely at "capitalized cost." Be sure of what you're being asked to pay for. Ask the salesperson to give to a list of what's in the cap cost, you'll quite often be surprized. Then take the money factor and multiply times 24. That's the interest rate. If it's outrageous don't be surprized. (Go in knowing what your bank is charging on auto loans, etc.) You can negotiate down the cap cost, and you can negotiate the interest rate, too.

Dealership asshole salespeople suck the gullible buyers in by asking "what do you want your monthly payment to be?" They will then screw you like a tied up sheep by fiddling with the lease term, the cap cost & money factors on the way to getting the buyer the "affordable" lease rate they want. In most cases you're better off buying rather than leasing. Leasing works well on high end cars that have high operating costs and rapid depreciation. On normal vehicles it can be a crap shoot. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!

post #13 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Rock God

I just noticed the OP's signature.....financial advisor....now that is funny. I wish I would have thought of that. The best financial advisor I ever talked to told me never to lease a vehicle and that guy had an 8th grade education and made a million dollars by making good decisions.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
I just noticed the OP's signature.....financial advisor....now that is funny. I wish I would have thought of that. The best financial advisor I ever talked to told me never to lease a vehicle and that guy had an 8th grade education and made a million dollars by making good decisions.
"never lease a vehicle" is a broad statement that isn't really true.
This line of thinking stems from when leases first became popular. There was all kinds of BS involved back then.
while leasing might not make sense for everyone, it does make sense for some people.

Your 75 year old Grandmom needs a car (shes still able to drive and drive well) wants a new vehicle but doesn't know how many more years she'll be driving and is on a fixed income so she can't have too high of payments. Makes perfect sense to lease.

Maybe you're the type of person that wants the newest features and is always changing their mind about what kind of vehicle they want, lease would make a lot of sense.

Maybe you're finishing up college in a few years so you don't know what type of vehicle you'll need afterwards? lease might be a good option.

Both myself and my wife are in a position where our living situation will probably be very different within the next few years so we both leased vehicles. It just happened that these life changed didn't happen right away so now we both finance vehicles. But it made perfect sense at the time for us to lease.

This is my Signature
post #15 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Granite Guru

People will justify a lease many ways, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a good idea or financially sound. Personally, leasing belongs to a business as there is a true financial advantage. For an individual, no one has yet to present a good argument for it. YMMV.

What ever you decide, good luck.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode