Jeep JKU variable Towing Worksheet - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Greetings.

New Kid (Baby Boomer) on the Block here - on my 3rd Jeep but venturing out to undiscovered lands, namely, trailering ? or better said, out on the hunt to purchase a travel trailer (for 2) suitable within the confines of the JKU matrix. I have spent many a late night reading the forums-at-large, websites, etc, and learned a lot (thanks, guys). At times, however, it became overwhelming with conflicting viewpoints, even conflicting weight ratings where found, but I took all that knowledge and sought to create a semi-worksheet to simplify my understanding of it all. What I ended up with was a ?straight to the bones? guide with plug-in numbers leading to final variable weight totals to help me select a travel trailer (or general towing) and all the other considerations which go along with it.

And so I thought I would share, in case it would be of some help to anyone who has also faced this apparently confusing ordeal. If it helps just one person, then I?m happy. As a matter of record, all the listed ratings were given to me directly and straight from Jeep, as I have often found variations from other sources reporting on alleged official Jeep specifications. Basically speaking, this is it, for better or worse.

Anyway, take a look if you wish.

Gipper

(See attached)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gipper; 03-28-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Rock God

I always thought a "dry" trailer weight was the trailer empty. If your trailer weighs 3500lbs empty, you need a bigger tow vehicle.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, yes, that's true, but that figure from the JKU spec was just the starting point to get through the math of all the other involved factors. You'll notice the final trailer weight of 2575 on the worksheet.

As far as a dry trailer of 3500, yes, that too is feasible as long as it remains dry. What matters is the final weight, regardless if dry or wet, with or without cargo.

Last edited by Gipper; 03-27-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Granite Guru

of no particular relevance to all the science here...

We are sitting on Oahu right now. When you go down to one of the popular bays about 500 vertical feet over maybe 1/4 mile or so, you can either walk or take the "tram"

The "tram" is a nice aluminum trailer thing pulled by a JKU. It has 7 rows of seat that holds about 20 people. The trailer must weight over 1,000 lbs. So well over 4,000 lbs at a go. This things runs the hll every 15 minutes or so six days a week. 52 weeks a year with seemingly no problem.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

No doubt proof of the JKU's true capabilities despite the manufacturer's reported ratings (always the sore spot, their numbers are low because of our litigation-happy society). But, my worksheet sticks to the official numbers because tickets are expensive if you get caught over the max...And lawyers are waiting to sue if you get involved in an accident while over load.

Still, good to see that it CAN do more, in case it's needed to.

Last edited by Gipper; 03-27-2017 at 07:25 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Rock God

The thing prolly never gets out of first gear. Don't forget, a Toyota pulled the Space Shuttle across an over pass. Big deal. In either case, no one's on the highway and potentially encountering panic stops or maneuvers.
Do I think the Wrangler's rating is low? Yes, on both counts, 2dr and 4dr, but, as was mentioned...litigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode