2017 Jeep (this or that) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2017 Jeep (this or that)

In the process of picking up a Jeep for myself/significant other. Going through the building process online i have a couple questions. Iv read up some, but honestly there is so much out there about jeeps its slightly overwhelming.

1st question:/
$2000 for heated seats and audio upgrade? Seems pricey. Is it really worth it or would you have better results with a custom build? I put about 4k worth of audio in my Evo, so i have experience. Just dont know if i want to put in the time. There are a lot of plug and play speakers out there for Jeep so thats nice. What do people typically do?

---Is there some sort of diagram or layout for the stock system?

The only options im really looking at are auto tranny, hardtop, and audio upgrade. Anything else you all feel is a necessity? That goes for aftermarket as well.

thanks in advance

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons
-Full audio upgrade (2500rms total)

Scratch Golfer +3

Last edited by WesP; 03-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Wheeler

Regarding your stereo I'll step aside and leave that to the experts of Jeeps with Stereo's. I know people talk about filling their sound bar and speaker cavities with a poly filling of some sort.

Anything else really depends. Are you looking brand new. If you go with a newer Rubi it can have factory heated seats and what I think it's a very nice sound system.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess im trying to figure that out, is the upgraded Alpine+heated seat combo upgrade worth it. The heated seats isnt that big a deal for us.

I suppose its all relative but how is the Upgraded Alpine system? I have a feeling i wont like it just bc my background in that area. Not to mention my old Evo had the rockford fosgate system... wasnt very good.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3

Last edited by WesP; 03-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Wheeler

Personally to me I wish I had heated seats sometimes but I bought a sport and didn't get any fancy options in my 13. I've mainly done off road upgrades. I haven't cared really about car audio since my S10 that I haven't owned in probably 15 years.

Whatever​ you decide top wise don't buy the other through a dealer. Generally you can find hard or soft tops lightly used for a fraction of the cost.

ogutierr66 likes this.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkbroc View Post
Personally to me I wish I had heated seats sometimes but I bought a sport and didn't get any fancy options in my 13. I've mainly done off road upgrades. I haven't cared really about car audio since my S10 that I haven't owned in probably 15 years.

Whatever​ you decide top wise don't buy the other through a dealer. Generally you can find hard or soft tops lightly used for a fraction of the cost.

Ashley likes her leases (i kinda do too) so we'll be leasing this for her.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #6 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Rock God

If I were to ever get a lease, I wouldn't put a dime into it.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
If I were to ever get a lease, I wouldn't put a dime into it.
normally id agree with you, but its a long lease, and we are planning to buy after the term is over
post #8 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Wheeler

Off topic but I'm curious. What's making you move from an Evo to a Jeep? Unless you plan on doing some off-roading or really like the image, I think there are better SUVs out there for pavement pounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Black JKR on 35s
post #9 of 34 Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Funny, I moved from an evo as well. Just wanted to try something totally different that I can run shit over with. Evo was lowered a bit and couldn't hit any bumps at all still got it in case I feel like going fast one day.
WesP likes this.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesP View Post
I guess im trying to figure that out, is the upgraded Alpine+heated seat combo upgrade worth it. The heated seats isnt that big a deal for us.

I suppose its all relative but how is the Upgraded Alpine system? I have a feeling i wont like it just bc my background in that area. Not to mention my old Evo had the rockford fosgate system... wasnt very good.

Just for background, I ran a Memphis/JBL setup in all of my previous vehicles. 3 Memphis HPO 12's pushed by a solid JBL amp. Polk audio MOMO mids, and JBL tweeters running off of a JL audio 4 channel amp.

With that said, I have a 2015 sport with the audio upgrade to the alpine system, and it is hands down the best "stock" system that I have ever heard. I wish the audio had a larger channel equalizer in order to adjust in greater detail, but over all very happy with it. Sound quality and volume are very well meshed together.

Can't speak to the heated seats.

Hard top is nice, I would go dual top. A year or two down the road you're going to want to go topless and you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't go ahead and do it now.

post #11 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysocks View Post
Off topic but I'm curious. What's making you move from an Evo to a Jeep? Unless you plan on doing some off-roading or really like the image, I think there are better SUVs out there for pavement pounding.

Oh im never getting rid of the Evo lol the Jeep is dual purpose, Ashley needs a car, and i need a vehicle i can take client out in, without them thinking im some juvenile fast and furious wannabe lol The Jeep is the only SUV both of us agree on.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #12 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris36l View Post
Just for background, I ran a Memphis/JBL setup in all of my previous vehicles. 3 Memphis HPO 12's pushed by a solid JBL amp. Polk audio MOMO mids, and JBL tweeters running off of a JL audio 4 channel amp.

With that said, I have a 2015 sport with the audio upgrade to the alpine system, and it is hands down the best "stock" system that I have ever heard. I wish the audio had a larger channel equalizer in order to adjust in greater detail, but over all very happy with it. Sound quality and volume are very well meshed together.

Can't speak to the heated seats.

Hard top is nice, I would go dual top. A year or two down the road you're going to want to go topless and you're going to be kicking yourself if you don't go ahead and do it now.

Thanks for the input. Iv always had custom audio in my vehicles. (used to compete in DB Drag). I going to be more picky than the average joe. I think im going to the dealership today to compare. if the alpine isnt up to my standards then ill start putting some pieces together.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #13 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Heated seats are easy to do.

I put these into my jeep a couple of years ago and they have not failed me yet. I put them right on top of the seat and then put bartact seat covers over them.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Carbon-...s=seat+heaters

So if you can do the stereo work then the factory option for 2000 bucks is kind of dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 AM
Rock God

If you're ever gonna go topless, and don't have concerns about theft or vandalism, get the OEM half doors - free option. To me, there's nothing more stupid than going topless with full doors. Half doors cost money after the fact.
You can't get a hard top with half doors, tho'. Not that the top won't work with the half door uppers, they just don't offer it that way.
Half doors also knock out some convenience features - power locks, windows, mirrors...
post #15 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post

I put these into my jeep a couple of years ago and they have not failed me yet. I put them right on top of the seat and then put bartact seat covers over them.

So if you can do the stereo work then the factory option for 2000 bucks is kind of dumb.

I've always done my own stereo work, but my wife nudged me in a different direction now that I'm a parent. I still have my system to install later in another vehicle. One thing I do like about the new alpine system as opposed to the old one, aside from the better quality, the subwoofer is mounted flush in the floor of the cargo area and I haven't noticed any sound difference when fully loaded down for weekend wheeling.

post #16 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post

Thank you sir. I'm going to buy these now.

post #17 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
If you're ever gonna go topless, and don't have concerns about theft or vandalism, get the OEM half doors - free option. To me, there's nothing more stupid than going topless with full doors. Half doors cost money after the fact.
You can't get a hard top with half doors, tho'. Not that the top won't work with the half door uppers, they just don't offer it that way.
Half doors also knock out some convenience features - power locks, windows, mirrors...
Just curious as to other Jeepers thoughts... What's so stupid about it? Any nice day in the spring and fall that we catch in-between the chiller days I flip the top down. I'm New Jersey we get crazy weather where it's 45 one day with a 30 degree night and 70 the next day with a 50 degree night. I've​ always found my soft top to be like a big giant sunroof. Easy to flip down while the sun's out and if we are out later flip it back up. Can't carry doors around so it's the easiest thing to do. Now during the summer I pretty much run doorless unless we are gonna get a stretch of crap weather.

post #18 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Just a personal opinion. I think it looks stupid.
Jkbroc likes this.
post #19 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Rock God

Having owned 2 of the previous generations of the Alpine upgrade and now the new one in my current Hard Rock. I will say it is hands down the best sounding of the 3.

Heated seats, money well spent first time I have had them on a wrangler. It is nice on the days here in PA where we will have a warm day but chilly evenings and mornings. We get days you will run heat in the morning then have the AC on in the afternoon then back to heat in the evening. So we get some really screwed up weather.

I think what you are seeing on the build site is leather included with the sound upgrade if I am not mistaken.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Oh im never getting rid of the Evo lol the Jeep is dual purpose, Ashley needs a car, and i need a vehicle i can take client out in, without them thinking im some juvenile fast and furious wannabe lol The Jeep is the only SUV both of us agree on.

Ah...Nice... best of both worlds!!

2014 Black JKR on 35s
post #21 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stupid question...if i want the removable hardtop is it the "hardtop headliner" or the "Freedom Top® Black 3-Piece Hard Top"??

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #22 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not sure if this is going to show up or not...

Jeep - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #23 of 34 Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Is this still an issue? Weakening the signal bc of vibration issues?

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/electrical-lighting-tech-dept/8511-dont-waste-$$$-soundbar-speakers.html

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
post #24 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Stupid question...if i want the removable hardtop is it the "hardtop headliner" or the "Freedom Top Black 3-Piece Hard Top"??

Freedom top, 3 piece.

post #25 of 34 Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I made it to the dealership this morning to see the difference between the stock and upgraded Alpine system....

Stock speakers suck. garbage.

I was very impressed with the upgraded Alpine system. Not necessarily the substage but the front stage sounded pretty good at high volume. The only factory upgraded system iv heard thats better came from a Mazda 6. Now im reallyy struggling to figure out if i want to upgrade myself or do the factory upgrade. Given it comes with the upgraded seats, im leaning towards just forking over the cash and going about my business and not mess with it.
chris36l likes this.

Financial Advisor

2015 Evo X
-Full ETS Bolt Ons

Scratch Golfer +3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode