Brand new battery, still dies every few days - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By roadh8r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Brand new battery, still dies every few days

Hey guys, over the past few months I have been having trouble with my 2008 wrangler randomly not starting due to the battery being dead. I boost it and I'm on my way lf but rather annoying. I have replaced the battery and it still does it every few days.. To the point where I can't rely on it. My brother and dad are both mechanics and have looked at the alternator and starter and both appear to be fine.. Any suggestions?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Wheeler

Have you tried an amp draw test?

;
MicroMark likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Wheeler

Just got done doing one myself on a 2012 I just bought with a ton of aftermarket electronic accessories.

Had to clamp the meter leads to the battery & negative terminal and let it sit for a while. When I first hooked it up, the dome light came on and I could hear the duct motors cycling in the HVAC.

After unplugging the Aeroforce scan gauge and removing the powered sub I got down to 20Ma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

we have tried a test just with a test light, not yet with an amp meter.. I have a large light bar on my jeep that could maybe be the problem, but I have had that for a year and this problem has just occurred a few months ago.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Mine has an issue with the radio. So when I turn it off the radio stays on unless I turn the radio off. I have to go through it and sort it out. I suspect there is a wire hooked up wrong or the radio has an issue LOL. It is possible the radio has an issue because it has been wet quite a few times LOL.

I suspect you have something like that or something that is just draining the power. Do you have anything plugged into the 12v plugs LOL one of mine supplies power all the time the other is ignition tied so it might be the same in others.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Wondering how they actually "looked at" the starter and alternator. Not doubting their mechanical abilities but you can have these checked diagnostically for free. To me sounds like the alternator may be suspect. Dunno how many miles are on that OEM equip but curious about high mileage. Light bar, fuses, a short somewhere... those areas too.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 9 Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Granite Guru

Not sure if this helps or not but maybe something is keeping the can-bus system "awake" and drawing too much current. It may be something as simple as a switch on the tailgate latch
not closing.
I had a similar problem on my Honda. One of the switches on the tailgate latch was not closing and keeping the body control computer "awake" and drawing too much current. It took several days for the battery to die...

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt

Last edited by MicroMark; 03-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha Knihnitski View Post
Hey guys, over the past few months I have been having trouble with my 2008 wrangler randomly not starting due to the battery being dead. I boost it and I'm on my way lf but rather annoying. I have replaced the battery and it still does it every few days.. To the point where I can't rely on it. My brother and dad are both mechanics and have looked at the alternator and starter and both appear to be fine.. Any suggestions?? Thanks
i found that as I added more accessories and power draws the stock leads and grounds showed that they are less than effective for more than stock use and hw. Have you redone each ground and beefed up with new terminal clamps as well as surfaced the posts with a terminal brush ? JKs are finicky electronically and like clean paths capable of odd current flows , fwiw. Check your clamps and grounds really well. Dialectric grease , too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I'm with Stube on the alternator. Use a VOM to test voltage and amp draw. I went through your situation last year. Look on ebay or amazon for replacement alternator. Stealership will want an arm and both legs. Did this problem begin after the light bar install? Like Jeffery said check ground and relay. Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 03-28-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode