Steering Wheel/Wheel Alignment - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Steering Wheel/Wheel Alignment

Ok, I've seen a couple threads on this topic before, but I'm in need of some advice from you gurus....as I'm not the most technically savvy person when it comes to suspension/steering components lol

I installed a ProComp 3.5" lift a few months back and now I've got my ABS kicking on when I take a corner. I know that it most likely has something to do with the steering wheel not being centered. I adjusted the turn buckle on the drag link to make sure it's centered (now whether I've got it perfectly centered now is another issue), but I noticed that when I straighten the drivers front wheel...the passenger side is pointed outwards slightly. What do I need to adjust to bring it in?

I tried to get a good angle on each wheel to show what I'm talking about, but it's easier to see in person. First picture is the drivers side. You'll see how when looking straight down the wheel/tire, on the driver's it's lined up and you can't see the rear tire....but you can on the passenger's.
Attached Images

Last edited by aWIGHTguy; 03-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

The tire sticking out compared to the other is the toe. I set that by using two aluminum broom handles duct taped to my tire sidewall so that they were at the center of the tire/wheel with the back extending out a foot (taped off the foot mark and dropped a string and washer as a plumb) and the front extending out and marked at a foot as well. Again, the front foot marks were taped off and string/washer plumb bobs were dropped. Then, all I did was adjust the tie rod to get the front plumb bobs at slightly over 1/8" short distance than the rear 2 plumb bobs. Old school, I know.

Once that is done, you have your -1/8" toe in. Now you take a 3/8" ratchet and 15mm deep well socket with you on a test drive. If the steering wheel is off center, pull over (stopping with the steering wheel in the off center position you observed) and loosen the 2 x 15mm lock nuts on the drag link adjusting sleeve, turn it and go look at the steering wheel. Is it close to centered? If not, turn more, or back it off, do what you need to. Tighten those 15mm nuts and test again. I will spend a couple days with that 3/8" ratchet and 15mm socket in the Jeep as I tweak it. If you note that the ESP kicks on primarily in a left turn, adjust the sleeve a smidge in the direction of rotating the wheel left.

Hint/Pro-Tip - Get a paint marker and draw an arrow up or down on the sleeve, and right CW or CCW beside it to coincide with the steering wheels motion if you turn in the direction of your arrow. If your like me, you will forget about 273 times what does what and keep jacking up your almost perfect setting.

Or go buy a damn AEV Pro Cal and use its electronic 0° clock spring indicator where it flashes the turn signals to indicate that your off to the right/left or flashes both to indicate that your centered. I do not have an AEV ProCal, I run the FlashCal and it does not have this ability. I do it as I mentioned above.

I never took my JK to an alignment shop and my 37" tires have 12,000 miles on them and are flat and true with about 18% depth consumed at the last measurement. It's not rocket science. You can do this. I make my old man help measure toe, its impossible to do alone... for me. Make sure your plumb bobs are all falling on the inside of the broom stick and tied to hang straight, this should be common sense... all 4 should be the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Oh... If any of that confused you... just whip out $129.95 and have your local Goodyear service station (or similar) do it on a machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mad scientist haha Thanks for the info. I know my ball joints wearing out, so I ordered some new ones. I should probably wait to install those before getting the toe set, right?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

If your doing the ball joints this weekend, wait. If it's a few weeks out, get the toe dialed in now. You'll see very accelerated rated tire wear with the toe out. Caster out a couple degrees will not kill tires it's a drivability issue, camber will have a small effect. Toe is the killer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Good info I like the way you set your toe better than mine I just pick 2 spots on each tire and measure. So far the tires are wearing evenly and have no issues. Probably going to use your technique next time.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Rock God

I live next to aev R&D and the inventor of the procal (brother of the owner of AEV) said the steering wheel centering only works if you are on an alignment rack.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Used aluminum broom handle and a level, hung the pendulums 17.5"b from center line to simulate 35" tires, and set at -1/8" toe after centering the axle so that it's 1/8" to the passenger side with no one in it. He's taking it to get professionally aligned in a couple weeks and is getting the pre/post print out to see how close my hillbilly alignment is.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode