Question for long term HiLift hood mounted users - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By AWOL
  • 1 Post By ReconJeep
  • 1 Post By AWOL
  • 1 Post By mvjeeper
  • 1 Post By Crso8541

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question for long term HiLift hood mounted users

This a question to all of you that run HiLifts mounted on your hoods. I'm more interested in long term users as opposed to somebody that just mounted theirs.

I just bought the Warrior Products HiLift hood mount. I chose that over others for how sturdy it is and the large footprint it has. The kit comes with some plates that need to be welded on the inside part of the hinge. The part that's mounted to the body inside the engine compartment. Does that make sense?

My questions are:

1. Does that part of the hinge bend easily that they decided to add a plate to weld so as to reinforce it? Have any of you found those plates bent? Especially all of you that have other types of hood mounts that do not come with these reinforcing plates.

2. Anyone have the Warrior Products kit that has not welded the plates? How has it held up? Just trying to figure out if I can get away with not welding the plates since I would have to take it to somebody else to do. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? No hilift on the hoods out there? I'm constantly seeing pics of JKs with hilifts on the hoods.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconJeep View Post
Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? No hilift on the hoods out there? I'm constantly seeing pics of JKs with hilifts on the hoods.
Mostly at the mall? Only one person I know here in Tucson has their hi lift mounted on the hood and that actually has used their jeep off road. I saw a very pretty jeep the other day with the hi lift on the hood and not a single scratch on the paint.
ReconJeep likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had mine mounted on my hood for a couple years and had no issues. I didn't use the mounts you have selected though. I used these...

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ushed-aluminum
ReconJeep likes this.

-Living the dream - Didn't say it was mine-
post #5 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Mostly at the mall? Only one person I know here in Tucson has their hi lift mounted on the hood and that actually has used their jeep off road. I saw a very pretty jeep the other day with the hi lift on the hood and not a single scratch on the paint.

Well that's pretty much a given. I have mine in my tailgate hinge, but want to use that for my PullPal that currently resides inside. I use both my HiLift and PullPal extensively. Especially when volunteering for OVERT. My concern is with the hood hinge. WP includes reinforcement plates to weld to the hinge, but I'm wondering if they are really necessary. That's why I would like people's feedback on the status of their hinges after long term use.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
I had mine mounted on my hood for a couple years and had no issues. I didn't use the mounts you have selected though. I used these...

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ushed-aluminum

The actual mounts don't seem to be the issue so which model you have shouldn't matter. Their reinforcement plates are for the internal portion of the hinge that attaches to the body in the engine compartment. Anyone ever have that part of the hinge bend?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
The actual mounts don't seem to be the issue so which model you have shouldn't matter. Their reinforcement plates are for the internal portion of the hinge that attaches to the body in the engine compartment. Anyone ever have that part of the hinge bend?
Mine haven't bent at all. The only way I could even imagine it bending would be if there was some kind of hard impact to the jack. Having to weld in a reinforcement plate just to mount the HiLift seems funny to me. I notice that WP calls it out as an option they include in the kit along with optional spacers to get your hood to line back up properly. Sounds overly complicated.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
Mine haven't bent at all. The only way I could even imagine it bending would be if there was some kind of hard impact to the jack. Having to weld in a reinforcement plate just to mount the HiLift seems funny to me. I notice that WP calls it out as an option they include in the kit along with optional spacers to get your hood to line back up properly. Sounds overly complicated.

That's what I was thinking. My guess is that it happens when opening and closing the hood, with the HiLift mounted, more than when driving around.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. My guess is that it happens when opening and closing the hood, with the HiLift mounted, more than when driving around.
Never even have an issue with that. I keep my hinges lubed up though so it always opens smooth. I could see if your hinges are sticky or if you don't line them back up when you install the mounts they could bind up when opening your hood and THEN you might bend shit. But that would happen without the HiLift mounted as well.
ReconJeep likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

previous owner of mine mounted his to the hood. I dont recommend it. My mounts rusted, the bolts are seized in the hood and now stripped, the hilift started rusting due to all the rain and use and was dripping rust water on my hood.
So now im stuck with a rusty hilift, rusty mounts I can't take off easily.

Now lets say you do things correctly, you buy a cover for the lift, get all stainless steel mounts and bolts etc etc. It looks cool but theres still other easier places to mount them. I'd prefer rear bumper, right now I just keep mine behind the front seats but obviously if I have passengers thats an issue.

Also it blocks the window washer nozzle. Considering how vertical our windshields are, thats a decently annoying issue.

my mounts look exactly like these

As far as bending, mine never gave any indication that it was damaging the hood in anyway.

When I bother to finally mount mine again It'll either be like

or

I haven't had to use mine yet (knock on wood) but I'd imagine when I finally do I'll be fender deep in either mud or water & mud. Its rather difficult to undo the mounts on the hood from one side, when you're standing waste deep in water, you'd prefer to hurry up lol.
ReconJeep likes this.

This is my Signature

Last edited by mvjeeper; 03-10-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
previous owner of mine mounted his to the hood. I dont recommend it. My mounts rusted, the bolts are seized in the hood and now stripped, the hilift started rusting due to all the rain and use and was dripping rust water on my hood.
So now im stuck with a rusty hilift, rusty mounts I can't take off easily.

Now lets say you do things correctly, you buy a cover for the lift, get all stainless steel mounts and bolts etc etc. It looks cool but theres still other easier places to mount them. I'd prefer rear bumper, right now I just keep mine behind the front seats but obviously if I have passengers thats an issue.

Also it blocks the window washer nozzle. Considering how vertical our windshields are, thats a decently annoying issue.

my mounts look exactly like these

As far as bending, mine never gave any indication that it was damaging the hood in anyway.

When I bother to finally mount mine again It'll either be like

or

I haven't had to use mine yet (knock on wood) but I'd imagine when I finally do I'll be fender deep in either mud or water & mud. Its rather difficult to undo the mounts on the hood from one side, when you're standing waste deep in water, you'd prefer to hurry up lol.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Lots a good info that can help when installing it. Seized bolts could have been avoided with anti seize grease if previous owner had bothered. You mentioning it will help me avoid what has happened to you. I can't have it inside the truck because I already have enough gear plus I have two little ones in the rear. It currently sits outside on the tailgate hinge, but I need that location for my PullPal mount. The best way to avoid rust on the HiLift is to cover it in WD40. A full cover retains humidity and promotes rust. The WD40 also helps with sticky pins, which happens to all HiLifts with lots of use. My truck resides inside a garage so it will never be as bad as it has been for your truck. Thanks again for the great feedback.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Lots a good info that can help when installing it. Seized bolts could have been avoided with anti seize grease if previous owner had bothered. You mentioning it will help me avoid what has happened to you. I can't have it inside the truck because I already have enough gear plus I have two little ones in the rear. It currently sits outside on the tailgate hinge, but I need that location for my PullPal mount. The best way to avoid rust on the HiLift is to cover it in WD40. A full cover retains humidity and promotes rust. The WD40 also helps with sticky pins, which happens to all HiLifts with lots of use. My truck resides inside a garage so it will never be as bad as it has been for your truck. Thanks again for the great feedback.
What about on the side or front bumper? I'm not sure how your set up is but I've seen those locations as well depending on what mods you do and do not have.

This is my Signature
post #13 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
What about on the side or front bumper? I'm not sure how your set up is but I've seen those locations as well depending on what mods you do and do not have.

I run an 8274 so not much room up front. I will also be adding some "winch horns" using the four remaining holes on the bumper. The only other location I can think of is on the side of the truck using the Bolt setup, but that seems so susceptible to getting snagged.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have had mine mounted on the hood for a while and haven't ran into any issues. I used the High lift brand hood mounts. I do take mine off and give it a good once over and use a good silicon based lubricant to help keep the rust out. I did use anti-seize on the hood bolts and I make sure they are still good regularly. It does block the sprayer but there is a good relocation kit on Amazon for $20's that solves that problem. I've wheeled a pretty good bit with it up there and have yet to see it flex or dent the hood.
ReconJeep likes this.

JKUR Rock Krawler 3.5", Fox 2.0 shocks, RK High Steer/Drag link flip, 37x13.5/20 & 5.13's and a whole bunch of other stuff
post #15 of 15 Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
It currently sits outside on the tailgate hinge, but I need that location for my PullPal mount.
Not sure exactly how they accomplish it, but I know that AEV has a means to mount both the hi-lift and Pull Pal to the right of the spare. The "spade" portion of the Pull Pal has to be stowed elsewhere though. You might take a look at their system to at least see if you could accomplish something similar on your rig.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode