Handheld and in Jeep GPS units - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Handheld and in Jeep GPS units

I am looking to purchase a dedicated GPS unit for trail riding as well as camping/hiking. I have done quite a bit of reading on dedicated vs phone but thought I would get some opinions from people that own and use them. I live in Southwest Montana, have a ton of trails that I want to get onto...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use a Garmin Montana in the jk and when I hike. 1:24,000 Topo maps are available for your geographic region. Keep it on for about 8-9 hrs on it's rechargeable battery, run off aaa batteries, or buy an after market solar panel. Rarely lost gps signal...but you can buy an external attenna for it to minimize signal loss.

You can plan trips on a pc and transfer your planning to the Montana. Kinda pricey though.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #3 of 15 Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the help, looking at the Montana now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Magellan TRX7 gps love it for sure!!! does the trick it is mostly on the passenger side and they wife is getting very savvy at operating and navigating with it!

Float like a Cadillac Sting like a Bimmer.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks BlackOps82, most of my looking has been at Garmin...Will give it a look!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Rock God

I like more screen realestate when in the jeep. I went with the motion-x software and a bad elf external blue tooth GPS (satellite, not cell). The combo works great. You can even load google earth tracks into the GPS. I used it on our Ouray trip and it really helped a lot. I got the GPS tracks from traildamage.com. When in the jeep, it is mounted to a ram mount attached to one of the CMM grab handles. I am setup the LJ and am setting up my 2 door the same way.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Granite Guru

I use an old Garmin Legend GPS and it works ok. I'm able to load maps on to it and download tracks/ trails where I have been. Its about 15 years old but still does the job.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM
Granite Guru

Delorme... I also have a JVC in dash navigation which works great in the city but is useless off-road LOL. It tells me I am nowhere near a road LOL. You can see my Delorme with the RAM mount on the CMM handles on the below photo. I thought I had some better photos I am sure I do somewhere.

Jeep15 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the Delorme
006 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

Jeep16 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr

20150619_100828 by Jeremy Church, on Flickr
post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to DaCrazyRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKDOG View Post
I use a Garmin Montana in the jk and when I hike. 1:24,000 Topo maps are available for your geographic region. Keep it on for about 8-9 hrs on it's rechargeable battery, run off aaa batteries, or buy an after market solar panel. Rarely lost gps signal...but you can buy an external attenna for it to minimize signal loss.

You can plan trips on a pc and transfer your planning to the Montana. Kinda pricey though.
Been using the Montana for years in the Jeep, Hiking/backpacking, on the motorcycle. Very versatile. Can have different profiles for each one and even sub profiles (IE: Jeep On Road. Jeep Off Road. Topo ON. Topo Off. Takes some patience, but once set up I haven't had to touch diddly! There is also a forum on ADVRider-- THE Montana FAQS page (Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs | Adventure Rider that is easier to find out and learn things

Tracy E /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
post #10 of 15 Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

IF you want the real deal off road gps then look at Lawrence. Here is a link to some of the best ones on the market,
GPS - Electrical - Store - Chassis Unlimited

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 AM
Wheeler

cadilac of the hand helds is the delorne's I had a pn20 and now have a pn60 too. I also have a couple cheaper gamins. Delorne maps are the best. Its why the BLM uses them.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-30-2017, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyRN View Post
Been using the Montana for years in the Jeep, Hiking/backpacking, on the motorcycle. Very versatile. Can have different profiles for each one and even sub profiles (IE: Jeep On Road. Jeep Off Road. Topo ON. Topo Off. Takes some patience, but once set up I haven't had to touch diddly! There is also a forum on ADVRider-- THE Montana FAQS page (Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs | Adventure Rider that is easier to find out and learn things
Do you use a desktop program to plan and then sync to your Montana? I'm currently using basecamp, but it is so damned buggy it's hard to use.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #13 of 15 Old 03-31-2017, 02:18 AM
Wheeler

Most phones use assisted GPS, so if you have no cell service, you have no GPS. You can download your maps for offline in Google maps, and I've done that with my tablet. Personally, I LOVE my TOM TOM. But it's 7 years old, and due for an upgrade. I've seen some decent handheld over the years, but never found one that really "called my name". I haven't looked at them in awhile. Next time I hit up best buy or other electronics shop,mill have to take a look. I remember spending close to $400 on my TOM TOM, but it was the largest screen GPS at the time!

2011 Cherry Red Wrangler Sport
2.5" Rubicon Express lift w/Rubicon Express shocks
Rubicon Express Sway Bar Quick Disconnects
Smittybilt SRC Rock Sliders
AEV Front Bumper w/10000lb WARN Winch
AEV Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier w/5 gal. Water Tank
AEV 10 gal. Fuel Caddy
AEV Pintler Beadlockers
35" Dick Cepek Fun Country Tires
J.W. Speaker LED Headlights
J.W. Speaker LED Fog Lights
J.W. Speaker LED Taillights
Her name is Brandine! Hot as Hell, and 100% redneck!
post #14 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Granite Guru

Finally got around to taking a picture of my Magellan TRX7 GPS. its awesome and I have no complaints about it...

Float like a Cadillac Sting like a Bimmer.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I use a Dual 150 XGPS Bluetooth receiver, iPad Mini, and iPad Air kneeboard (Amazon). Loaded a bunch of Topo maps and programs.

Doug M

Fort Walton Beach, FL
07 JK 2DR
05 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode