14 Jeep Wrangler Antifreeze problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 14 Jeep Wrangler Antifreeze problem

We recently started smelling antifreeze when we got out of our 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. My husband was adamant that you shouldn't just be able to smell antifreeze so we went on a hunt to find out what was wrong. Mind you the Jeep only has just over 32,000 miles on it and just came out of warranty in September. I of course went to the computer to do some research. I found quite a few complaints of just this. Most people just gave up and couldn't actually find the leak. The few that did find it found that it was coming from a cracked thermostat housing. My husband then went on his hunt and sure enough there was antifreeze residue on the thermostat housing. He cleaned it up and we went for a drive. The Jeep is never getting hot and isn't losing enough antifreeze that you would notice. When we got back from our drive he let it cool off and went looking again. There was again antifreeze on the thermostat housing and now you could even see the liquid very slowly oozing out of it. So off to the dealer I went. Sure enough, just got the call and the thermostat housing is cracked and of course it isn't covered under warranty. I have contacted Mopar and we will see if it does any good, but I just wanted to give a heads up. This seems to be a very common problem in these Jeeps. Hopefully this will be enough to get others to catch it before their warranties expire since it's $324 to have it repaired. I am hoping that sometime in the future something is done about this since the only way this part could crack would be because it is faulty. We love our Jeep, it makes me sad that there is already something wrong with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff0422 View Post
We recently started smelling antifreeze when we got out of our 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. My husband was adamant that you shouldn't just be able to smell antifreeze so we went on a hunt to find out what was wrong. Mind you the Jeep only has just over 32,000 miles on it and just came out of warranty in September. I of course went to the computer to do some research. I found quite a few complaints of just this. Most people just gave up and couldn't actually find the leak. The few that did find it found that it was coming from a cracked thermostat housing. My husband then went on his hunt and sure enough there was antifreeze residue on the thermostat housing. He cleaned it up and we went for a drive. The Jeep is never getting hot and isn't losing enough antifreeze that you would notice. When we got back from our drive he let it cool off and went looking again. There was again antifreeze on the thermostat housing and now you could even see the liquid very slowly oozing out of it. So off to the dealer I went. Sure enough, just got the call and the thermostat housing is cracked and of course it isn't covered under warranty. I have contacted Mopar and we will see if it does any good, but I just wanted to give a heads up. This seems to be a very common problem in these Jeeps. Hopefully this will be enough to get others to catch it before their warranties expire since it's $324 to have it repaired. I am hoping that sometime in the future something is done about this since the only way this part could crack would be because it is faulty. We love our Jeep, it makes me sad that there is already something wrong with it!
I had the same issue. Cracked thermostat housing. Mine is also a 2014 that I bought new. I am almost at 100k miles on mine, and I started noticing the smell at somewhere around 85k miles. It actually took a pressure test to reveal it though on mine, which is common.

Just a general FYI...the driver side lower corner of the radiator is a other common place that develops a leak as well, so for those reading it's good to look there as well.

The thermostat housing is pretty easy to replace and inexpensive. I think I paid about $32 or so for mine at the dealer. Just be sure if you're doing this yourself that you bleed the air out.

Pat
post #3 of 6 Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff0422 View Post

Fairly common issue. The radiator usually leaks on the top drivers corner and burns off before it drips. You can look under your Jeep and see if there are any pinkish coolant stains. You can also remove the coolant reservoir and shroud and look at the back of the radiator. The thermostat is also a common failure. Less common is the water pump, but there have been failures of those too.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

thanks for the heads up. btw the thermostate replacement isn't a tough job. I'm throwing a friend a few bucks to do it for me since I don't think my landlord would like antifreeze everyone on the floor lol.

This is my Signature
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to give an update. I have been talking to Chrysler for 2 weeks now. They are sending my check out tomorrow for a full refund of the cost of the repair plus giving me 16 free oil changes and tire rotations for our trouble. We couldn't be happier with the way Chrysler has stood behind their product! Would definitely buy another and will share our happy ending with everyone!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Me too!

So I just discovered that my thermostat cover is cracked on 2014 JK. Can you provide some insights on your discussions with Chrysler? The dealership is saying this is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode