Magnaflow exhaust - 2017 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Magnaflow exhaust - 2017 JK

I just installed a Magnaflow exhaust on my 2017 JKU and it sounds very loud and has severe drone while on the highway. It almost sounds like I have a Honda Civic or something similar. Does anyone else have this exhaust on their JK? I was reading about it and some people are saying to drive a few hundred miles and it should quiet down....others say the opposite.

Also, the hanger right after the Y pipe is a 1/8 inch from the exhaust tube and I can hear it tapping. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Garage

I have the magnaflow rock crawler exhaust and the interstate drone is pretty bad. When I first installed it, I hated it. I've put around 7k miles on it and I haven't noticed it getting any quieter -but it has gotten more throaty.

I was able to eliminate most of the rattles by playing with each pipe connection to get it away from the frame. I will hear a rattle every once and a while though.

My biggest issue with this exhaust is the hangers. They're so far off from the factory points that I can't squeeze exhaust spacers in there.

Even with these issues, I've come to love this exhaust. It gives it more personality. You'll never make a V6 sound like a V8, but this is a heck of a lot better than the stock mini van sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM

I have magma flow on mine and love it. No drone at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJKU View Post
I just installed a Magnaflow exhaust on my 2017 JKU and it sounds very loud and has severe drone while on the highway. It almost sounds like I have a Honda Civic or something similar. Does anyone else have this exhaust on their JK? I was reading about it and some people are saying to drive a few hundred miles and it should quiet down....others say the opposite.

Also, the hanger right after the Y pipe is a 1/8 inch from the exhaust tube and I can hear it tapping. Anyone else have this issue?
Which model did you go with?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

flow masters on mine.

sorry about the crap video but its a solid sound clip.

This is my Signature
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

If it drones it is not going to magically go away after some mileage. You can add the OEM resonator before the muffler to quiet things down.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
If it drones it is not going to magically go away after some mileage. You can add the OEM resonator before the muffler to quiet things down.
exhausts will change tone a bit after some miles due to build up and wearing down elements inside. but its usually not very drastic

This is my Signature
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
flow masters on mine.
That's the best sounding JK exhaust on video I've heard yet! Almost Porsche-like in that first launch.
What model and layout for the rest of the system?
I'm guessin' the FM replaced the resonator and it's straight pipe out the tail? (The right way to do it.)
post #9 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockwell View Post
Yep, if it drones new it'll always drone. I've had my share of exhausts that had drone and unfortunately unless you get a ride in a car with it before buying it, you can never trust what people online say about it droning or not since everyone's definition of 'drone' is different.

I've had Magnaflows on other cars before and they didn't drone, FWIW.

Last edited by Jay El; 02-17-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
That's the best sounding JK exhaust on video I've heard yet! Almost Porsche-like in that first launch.
I'm guessin' the FM replaced the resonator and it's straight pipe out the tail? (The right way to do it.)
Its a Flowmaster American Thunder system

Heres the inside sound taken from my dashcam so the quality is a little worse.

It took me awhile to choose an exhaust for it. Watched a decent amount of videos and read a bunch of reviews. Only other ones I liked the sound of are some of the dual exit ones but I personally don't like dual exit exhausts on a jeep.

another perk of this flowmaster system is its lighter and sits up high in the frame to keep it away from rocks when off roading.

BUT fitment is very tight especially on a two door. The unlimited required no cutting and has slightly more room under it. The muffler is very close to some cross members and some rear suspension piece is pretty close. But it doesn't hit.

This is my Signature
post #11 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
Its a Flowmaster American Thunder system

Heres the inside sound taken from my dashcam so the quality is a little worse.
Still sounds good.
I'm lookin' at a similar system from Borla but am not wedded to it. The main reason I want a system at all is that, except for winter when I have a top, I can't hear the engine when taking off from a traffic stop due to street noise (can't hear the engine much with the top on, either)...I'm constantly monitoring the tach during clutch engagement takin' off at stops and it gets old. Conversely, I'm not interested in too much sound as idling along trails with the stock exhaust is rather pleasant.

Not to knock the sound at idle*, it's kinda "meh", but who cares when you're sittin' still? What matters, to me anyway, is that it doesn't sound like a frickin' fartcan when you put your foot in it.

*I have a theory about exhausts:
Sounds great at idle = shitty performance and powerless growl.
Sounds shitty at idle = great performance and prodigious growl.

I have a Borla on the wife's 'Vette. Sounds like shit at idle and it drones at 1500 rpm, but when that thing starts pumpin' air, ooooohhh yeeaaahhh.
Still lookin' for a good Borla soundbite on a JK.

Thanks for the model info. It sounds as right as can be.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Still sounds good.
I'm lookin' at a similar system from Borla but am not wedded to it. The main reason I want a system at all is that, except for winter when I have a top, I can't hear the engine when taking off from a traffic stop due to street noise (can't hear the engine much with the top on, either)...I'm constantly monitoring the tach during clutch engagement takin' off at stops and it gets old. Conversely, I'm not interested in too much sound as idling along trails with the stock exhaust is rather pleasant.

Not to knock the sound at idle*, it's kinda "meh", but who cares when you're sittin' still? What matters, to me anyway, is that it doesn't sound like a frickin' fartcan when you put your foot in it.

*I have a theory about exhausts:
Sounds great at idle = shitty performance and powerless growl.
Sounds shitty at idle = great performance and prodigious growl.

I have a Borla on the wife's 'Vette. Sounds like shit at idle and it drones at 1500 rpm, but when that thing starts pumpin' air, ooooohhh yeeaaahhh.
Still lookin' for a good Borla soundbite on a JK.

Thanks for the model info. It sounds as right as can be.
most exhaust systems won't give you much power if any at all. It obviously differs per vehicle and exhaust but rarely do you get much from it besides sound.

This is my Signature
post #13 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Rock God

The ways our automobiles are strangled by gov reg-ed equipment, yeah, it takes a lot more than just an exhaust to reap the benefits of an exhaust, but that's true of any performance exhaust...you can't just slap one on and expect magic HP. In some cases, you might even get less.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

Here's my Flowmaster Force II axleback

Stock cats and resonator. No drone at all
post #15 of 16 Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Another good audio. Idle wasn't offensive (I like that attribute) and it sounded healthy.

Thanks for sharing.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I've got the Magnaflow Rock Crawler cat-back on my 2016 and am happy with it. Has a good rumble at engine start and take off and not bad at freeway speed. I like how the exhaust is high and tight and out of the way of getting dragged over rocks, etc. Mine has the rattle issue as well and got much worse after I was wheeling out at KOH earlier this month. I've been told the rattle is common for people with this exhaust and can be addressed at time of installation if known to the installer. I'll be trying to get mine sorted out before EJS.

2016 JKU Sport with Manual Transmission
Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex System with Bilstein 5100's
Dynatrac Pro Rock Unlimited 44 FR Axle
Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers
Magnaflow Rock Crawler Exhaust
Yukon 4.88 Gears
ARB Air Lockers w/ARB onboard air
Warn VR10-S Winch
EVO Quarter Pounder Front Bumper
EVO Fascia Rear Bumper
EVO Boatside Bombers
ACE Stand Alone Carrier
Yeti XD Tie Rod and Drag Link
Currie Antirocks
Adams 1350 Solid Front & Rear DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode