TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

We were lucky enough to get our hands on a set of the new Teraflex Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks and Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer for the RME JKU!! The Falcons are JK-specific shocks, they have a unheard of 2.25" body and massive 3/4" shaft, plus they're loaded with Redline synthetic shock oil and are fully serviceable and rebuildable. Teraflex really knocked the ball out of the park with these! The best part? They're hand-built right in West Jordan, Utah by offroad enthusiasts like you and I! Install happening now and full long term test and review right here!

First off, the packaging was top-notch! You can tell that TeraFlex takes pride in these Falcon Shocks just by the way they're boxed up. I carefully unpacked and took a few pics.

Each box comes with a note signed by the people that hand built the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, pretty neat to see who's handiwork you've recieved.

First impression was that these are like nothing else out there, very well designed and engineered.

Quick video about the build details...

Install happening now and full long term test will be posted in this thread. Hoping to get to Moab tomorrow and start the trail testing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

It's hard to beat a full tank of fuel and a desire for adventure!

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-04-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Looking forward to hearing how the perform. How much travel do these shocks have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 37 Irok's - 4.88 - Detroit/OX -
post #3 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Looking forward to hearing how the perform. How much travel do these shocks have?
I'll be updating this thread with a review as time goes on and the miles go by!

These shocks are for 2.5"-3" of lift and they have 9" of travel. I believe there is a longer travel set for 4"-6" lifts, but not sure what the total shock travel is on that set.

['12 JKUR | Automatic | 3" TeraFlex Outback Suspension, Alpine long arms, Falcon shocks | 35" BFG KO2's | Warn Zeon 8 | Truck-Lite Headlights and Rigid D2's]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
These shocks are for 2.5"-3" of lift and they have 9" of travel. I believe there is a longer travel set for 4"-6" lifts, but not sure what the total shock travel is on that set.
I ask because with my TF springs (3"JKU/4"JK) I was thinking of pairing with Fox Shocks and those see around 11" travel. And when I put my new suspension parts in I will max out shocks before the control arms bind... Coil overs or ORI struts are not in the options for this Jeep (wife is letting me do a buggy when I am at the limits of 37s and D44s)
post #5 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
I ask because with my TF springs (3"JKU/4"JK) I was thinking of pairing with Fox Shocks and those see around 11" travel. And when I put my new suspension parts in I will max out shocks before the control arms bind... Coil overs or ORI struts are not in the options for this Jeep (wife is letting me do a buggy when I am at the limits of 37s and D44s)
I would talk to the guys at TeraFlex before choosing shocks, tell them which springs you're running and they'll know what Falcons to pair you with.

I'm running the TF Outback springs (3" heavy Overlanding spring) combined with Alpine Long Arms and limiting straps, plus TeraFlex Speed Bumps. I use every bit of my shock travel, but they don't bottom out or over extend the shocks with my setup.

post #6 of 26 Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

TeraFlex Falcon Shocks and Nexus Steering Stabilizer

Massive !!!

Does TF list lengths on the site ? Did not see them. Reason im running shock relo in the back so i would need a 4-6 front and 2-3 rear.

Ty

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 02-04-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Massive !!!

Does TF list lengths on the site ? Did not see them. Reason im running shock relo in the back so i would need a 4-6 front and 2-3 rear.

Ty
I haven't seen the lengths on their site either, but I know what you're talking about... a friend did the same mod for his Fox shocks. I think you're right, but it depends on your lift height. I would suggest calling the helpful folks at TeraFlex for the measurements, tell them what you're working with and see if they recommend the same thing you're thinking.

post #8 of 26 Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

And my written review...

So the very first thing we noticed was the new handling characteristics on the freeway... between the Nexus steering stabilizer and the Falcon shocks, the entire Jeep felt much more planted at freeway speeds. Hitting a big rolling bump on the freeway, which before would toss & rock the Jeep around, now made the Jeep react composed and stable. The suspension would compress and then decompress and the Jeep would recover with hardly any drama. Within the first 10 miles my wife in the passenger seat mentioned how different the Wrangler now rode. On I70, heading towards Moab in Utah the speed limit is 80 MPH... previously, my JK rode OK but at speeds over 72-73 (actual speed) the Jeep was a little 'wobbly'. Now with the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, the Jeep was absolutely planted at up to 85 MPH! Driving over bridges and expansion joints before would create a little wobble in the steering wheel and with the Nexus steering stabilizer, the steering wheel is totally firm.... it doesn't show any indication of upsetting the Jeep. We do a lot of on-road driving to get to destinations, from driving out to the Rubicon last Summer to our trip down to Baja and back, having a Jeep that handles well on the road is very important to me. I still need to put some longer road miles on, but I think long drives will be less stressful due to the way the JKU now drives. This is how a lifted Jeep should ride!

Offroad the result is similar, when you hit a big rock or drop off a ledge the suspension does it's thing and the Falcon shocks control the body sway and unwanted movement with little drama. The suspension reacts and the Falcons control the suspension better than any lesser shocks. You don't get that rocking & rolling that sometimes happens offroad. At a few different places in Moab, we were able to shift into 2 High and get some speed up and the control that the Falcons added to an already good suspension was now impressive... I could drive a lot faster than I should! It wasn't really warm out, but after a little high-speed driving the shocks seemed very liner with their performance. No changes after trying to get them heated up. I still need to do further high-speed driving to get a better feel for their performance at speed.

One of the things I love about the Nexus stabilizer is how it works with the stock (or upgraded) tie rod, but now is relocated above the axle centerline and behind the tie rod, out of harms way. I've destroyed 2 steering stabilizers in the last couple years in the stock location and feel like the raised Nexus will be very well protected. Also, combining the axle end mount of the Nexus stabilizer with the track bar mount/bolt is genius as well, great use of a big bolt hole!

To wrap it all up, I think the Falcon shocks and Nexus steering stabilizer are nothing short of damn impressive. I doubt there is a better JK shock & stabilizer out there, bolt a set on your JK/JKU and you'll instantly see the difference in how your Wrangler works on road and off.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

What shocks did you have on before? What have you had to compare to?

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #10 of 26 Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
What shocks did you have on before? What have you had to compare to?
TeraFlex 9550's... I thought they were decent, but valved a little soft. I've done a LOT of offroading and thousands of miles offroad with them, lots of Colorado mountain trails, Utah desert, Moab, Rubicon, Baja, etc. There is a night & day difference comparing a standard shock to the Falcons.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

decent first impression and review. I like that they have that massive diameter shaft and that they're rebuildable .
I dislike that the rear are installed body down as that's gonna be susceptible to outcrops and street de icing anywhere other than the deserts out West. Time will tell if those are viable pros or cons but TeraFlex tests the begeezus outta thier products so probably non issues. The rears just look upside down , to me.

Does the stabilizer run more or less than the Fox ATS pricepoint-wise?

I am jealous of you being able to test in Moab .

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-07-2017 at 06:40 AM.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
decent first impression and review. I like that they have that massive diameter shaft and that they're rebuildable .
I dislike that the rear are installed body down as that's gonna be susceptible to outcrops and street de icing anywhere other than the deserts out West. Time will tell if those are viable pros or cons but TeraFlex tests the begeezus outta thier products so probably non issues. The rears just look upside down , to me.

Does the stabilizer run more or less than the Fox ATS pricepoint-wise?

I am jealous of you being able to test in Moab .
The biggest reason for the rear shock bodies being down is to keep the shock shaft from getting beat-up by rocks, dirt, road-grime & debris that would get kicked up from the front tires. A beat up shock shaft ends up tearing up the shock seal & they start leaking pretty quickly. TeraFlex has built these Falcons to take a beating, they know what we're going to do to them... the aluminum body is built with "Type 3 Hard Anodized" which is incredibly hard for superior protection. Plus, the lower mount is built to pivot around, so the shock has some give and it will deflect out of the way it if it gets hung up. The thickness of the body cap and the body is also extremely overkill to take a beating and keep on going. These aren't cheap, stamped steel shock bodies.

Also, moving the shock inward towards the wheel/tire offers even more protection. With these 2.1 mono-shocks, the bottom of the shock body is very well protected by the shock mount... you could possibly back up and run the shock into a rock, but you would have to try VERY hard and at that point, the beefy build quality comes into play. For the 3.3 Adjustable Piggyback Shock with the reservoir built on the bottom, I understand they are working on a bolt on skid plate that contours the body cap and extends to provide extra protection for the adjusters and will help further protect your investment.

This photo is taken directly from behind the shock... you can see how protected the shock body is behind the mount and close to the wheel.

And if you haven't seen it, check out this video... they show the 3.1 Piggyback Shock with the reservoir built on the bottom taking on a rock ledge. You can see how the shock pivots out of the way, then the rock breaks off...

The Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer costs $250, I'm not sure what the Fox ATS costs.

I love living here in Western Colorado, Moab and the San Juan mountains are both within 2 hrs... plenty of outdoor opportunities!

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-07-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Rock God

I like the idea of the front shock. A lot! They put the reservoir right where I almost put mine because piggy backed my front reservoir always rubbed the tire no matter how I turned it.

The back reservoir, well I'm just not a fan. There reasoning is clear but they should go back to the drawing board and find another way. Part of me believes they wanted the reservoir where it could be seen for the ever growing mall crawler crowd. The rear reservoir is hanging down like a boat anchor even in their video showing how tough it is it's still a liability to get hung up on even if it can handle abuse. We go to great lengths to lift our jeeps and tummy tuck and raise control arm and shock mounts.

This is a huge step backwards except for mall crawlers who want to be showing their reservoirs...

post #14 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@Biginboca
I see that point , alternately.
i mean, yes, they appear top have made the casing of adamantium or at least thick as heck zinced aluminum but I still will have to watch those folks that run these over a few seasons to see ust what those rears hanging out like that are gonna look like . I have sported Bilsteins with /without resis as well as Fox and the rear shafts never get damaged and I know how to set coilsprings and track bars so that the body doesn't make contact.

I did not notice the adapter for the rear which - while pushing the rear shock bodies in towards tire & widening the stance so they're taking advantage of full possible compression is good, I've never liked the brackets like these on the back nor those Nemesis ones for the fronts - take a shock into single shear from the original double shear mount. I really dislike when this is done knowing that if a suspension is setup correctly, it shouldn't matter ; it's just my personal opinion. I also know that it doesn't factor much into overall performance. if they are mounted like that but ...yeah, double-shear is the way I prefer to fasten ...
I'll just have to remain undecided on the rear shock mounting and look forward to seeing these skids you mentioned @[email protected]
Again, these are interesting and they seem to have a sturdy solution. One hopes third time's a charm for TeraFlex with the shock market ; the VSS & the Elba efforts really never panned-out for reasons we all know about; these appear to have much R&D and could be really great. As with all shocks, time will tell because it requires being capable of performing far past max punishment tolerance.

I will add re: the steering stab that at the price range, they have Fox ATS beat by $150-$225 so that can't be bad. Again, time will tell if it is of similar quality and can take the abuse the Fox can but at a much lower price-point.
thanks for the info, man!

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I like the idea of the front shock. A lot! They put the reservoir right where I almost put mine because piggy backed my front reservoir always rubbed the tire no matter how I turned it.

The back reservoir, well I'm just not a fan. There reasoning is clear but they should go back to the drawing board and find another way. Part of me believes they wanted the reservoir where it could be seen for the ever growing mall crawler crowd. The rear reservoir is hanging down like a boat anchor even in their video showing how tough it is it's still a liability to get hung up on even if it can handle abuse. We go to great lengths to lift our jeeps and tummy tuck and raise control arm and shock mounts.

This is a huge step backwards except for mall crawlers who want to be showing their reservoirs...

I am not the only one who'd really like seeing the resultant "scratches" and " nicks" from this rock-rubbing action, am I? It was a conveniently non-stationary chunka rock, but shoulda done some tangible abrading on the body that would be cool to see...

post #16 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post

There's always the option of running the Falcon 2.1 Monoshock like I am running. That way there is no Reservoir that you have to deal with and you still get the strength and most of the performance benefits.

post #17 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I did not notice the adapter for the rear which - while pushing the rear shock bodies in towards tire & widening the stance so they're taking advantage of full possible compression is good, I've never liked the brackets like these on the back nor those Nemesis ones for the fronts - take a shock into single shear from the original double shear mount. I really dislike when this is done knowing that if a suspension is setup correctly, it shouldn't matter ; it's just my personal opinion. I also know that it doesn't factor much into overall performance. if they are mounted like that but ...yeah, double-shear is the way I prefer to fasten ...
I'll just have to remain undecided on the rear shock mounting and look forward to seeing these skids you mentioned @[email protected]
Again, these are interesting and they seem to have a sturdy solution. One hopes third time's a charm for TeraFlex with the shock market ; the VSS & the Elba efforts really never panned-out for reasons we all know about; these appear to have much R&D and could be really great. As with all shocks, time will tell because it requires being capable of performing far past max punishment tolerance.

I will add re: the steering stab that at the price range, they have Fox ATS beat by $150-$225 so that can't be bad. Again, time will tell if it is of similar quality and can take the abuse the Fox can but at a much lower price-point.
thanks for the info, man!

Just one thing I would like to mention, the rear-lower shock mount isn't really an adapter but rather a solid, one-piece bolt that goes all the way through the original shock mount and then to the outside. While it may be mounted in single shear fashion, once that spacer is tightened down in the original shock mount location it does appear to be very strong.

I do agree with you, time will tell how everything works out with the Falcon shocks. At this point in time I'm pretty impressed and will continue to use and abuse them on and off road.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

post #18 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1486498509.912492.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  66.0 KB

Bring em on !!!!

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #19 of 26 Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Attachment 290633

Bring em on !!!!

Nice! I need to beef up my control arm mount and shock mount, they've been bent up and abused.

post #20 of 26 Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
JKowners Vendor

Thank you Greg for posting up this review of the Falcons.

801-713-3314
post #21 of 26 Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Thank you Greg for posting up this review of the Falcons.
Happy to share, I love how much the Falcons and Nexus stabilizer changed my JKU for the better!

post #22 of 26 Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I'm up in Utah this week and stopped by TeraFlex HQ to visit... I was given a tour of the facilities and saw the hand-assembled production line where the Falcon's are being made.... I can assure you that these are built from the ground up in West Jordan, Utah by TeraFlex employees. From the CNC machines that are whittling parts from chunks of aluminum to the guys building each and every shock, these are NOT a re-badged Fox shock or anything else.

For those that are worried about back orders, I heard that they're tripling their assembly & production lines to catch up with demand and the CNC machines will be running night-shifts, too. The demand for the Falcon shocks exceeded expectations, but soon they should be caught up with their orders.

I also got to put my hands on the Falcon 3.3 Piggyback shock that Dennis beat the hell out of in his Anger Management video... it survived amazingly well! Still looks usable, from what I saw!

post #23 of 26 Old 03-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the info you posted and your review at first we were going to get the fox 2.0 with the Tereflex st3 inch lift but reading all the new reviews and watching them in action Itwas time to Oder we will be using the ST3 Sport lift with the Falcon 3.2 piggy back adjustable and installing the new Falcon adjustable nexus stabilizer.the shocks are on back order for 3 to 4 weeks but as soon we get this setup on and test it out I'll give a honest review.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Puffenbarger View Post
Thanks for all the info you posted and your review at first we were going to get the fox 2.0 with the Tereflex st3 inch lift but reading all the new reviews and watching them in action Itwas time to Oder we will be using the ST3 Sport lift with the Falcon 3.2 piggy back adjustable and installing the new Falcon adjustable nexus stabilizer.the shocks are on back order for 3 to 4 weeks but as soon we get this setup on and test it out I'll give a honest review.
Ohhhh, lucky dog!! I'm starting to wish I got the Falcon 3.2's, but I've been so impressed with the 2.1 mono-shock, I can't imagine how much better the 3.2's are. I'd love to hear your review and feedback once you get the ST3 Sport suspension and Falcon shocks & Nexus Stabilizer on and tested out. I think you'll LOVE the way it will work all together!

post #25 of 26 Old 06-05-2017, 11:19 PM

Greg, thanks for the info you provided regarding the Falcon shocks. I'm about to upgrade from TF 9550's and trying to decide between the Standard and Sport 2.1's. Which version of the 2.1 are you running? Thank you!

08 X Unlimited|8 Arm 4" Teraflex|37x12.5r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers|Fuel Trophy's|6.2 LS (L9H)| 6L80 6 Speed Auto|4.56s|RCV's|PSC XD Steering Box|Factory Rear E-Locker|Factory Electronic Swaybar Disco|Fox ATS|Poison Spyder Fenders|Rockhard Bumpers

Last edited by AZBlackBear; 06-06-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode