Offset Ball Joints - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Offset Ball Joints

Guys
i need a set of offset ball joints . the alignment shop suggested a 1.5 passenger side offset and a .5 offset on the driver side . when i bought my jeep it had 60k on it , it now has 126K . so ive put over 60K on a set of Alloy USA 11800 ball joints while on 35's and wheel spacers. i think 60K+ miles on a set of ball joints is pretty good. the only place ive found offset ball joints is napa but i cant find a data to support how long they last. I did a search and really couldn't find anything that showed anybody having good luck with offset ball joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Post your alignment readings.

Is it camber you want to fix? Lots of JKs come from the factory with camber a little outside of tolerance on the negative side. It doesn't cause any issues.

The worn ball joints could throw the camber out a little, too.

If the camber is out just a little on one alignment rack, it might read differently on another alignment rack.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post

Is it camber you want to fix? Lots of JKs come from the factory with camber a little outside of tolerance on the negative side. It doesn't cause any issues.

If the camber is out just a little on one alignment rack, it might read differently on another alignment rack.
This is exactly SPOT ON!!! Offset ball joints are a waste of time and money.

You could just change to new ball joints and move the camber .5 degrees. Or a different alignment rack on a different day........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
This is exactly SPOT ON!!! Offset ball joints are a waste of time and money.

You could just change to new ball joints and move the camber .5 degrees. Or a different alignment rack on a different day........................
this is exactly what i was looking for. I know for sure the passenger side ball joints are worn and ntb replaced . i will go with a set of HD replacment ball joints . the alloy usa 11800 lasted over 60K miles on my jeep. ill try to get it back to the same shop and ask to the same rack to see if that makes a difference ...
thanks guys
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

I install a lot of offset ball joints. All of the ones I have put in have been to cure a diesel Ram from pulling. There are a couple different designs but I don't think one is better than the other, they are all crap. Due to the nature of their design they will be substantially weaker and the ones I have seen seem to wear out quick.
You have some miles on your Jeep, have the tires been wearing okay? Does it pull? Any decent alignment rack can get live readings with the front end suspended. Your guy can do this and load the top of the wheel back and forth to see how much influence the worn ball joint has.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Rock God

You obviously know what your are doing and can speak from experience. Unfortunately, all too often I run into people who only know how to do what the computer tells them to do. I have (had) an aftermarket tie rod on my JKUR. The alignment shop I go to (a national chain) had a new tech on duty when I went in - not my normal guy. After an hour he comes out and says he cannot align my Jeep. I asked why. He said there is no way to adjust the toe. I have a Synergy tie rod. He could not figure out how to loosen the clamp and turn the adjusting nut. Now you probably think I am making this up, but sadly it is word for word true. I had to go back to the rack with him and show him how to do it.

It was not stock so he was completely lost...................
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

[QUOTE=rlee;4145082
You have some miles on your Jeep, have the tires been wearing okay? Does it pull? Any decent alignment rack can get live readings with the front end suspended. Your guy can do this and load the top of the wheel back and forth to see how much influence the worn ball joint has.[/QUOTE]

The front driver tire has just started to wear on the in the inside .the passenger side ball joints had like an 8th of an inch of play when it was on the rack. and i bent the shit out of the lower tie rod somehow.

It recently started to pull hard driver under braking(with intermittent ABS activation) and then when off the brakes it wants to shoot back passenger(super fun on the highway).i think a caliper has frozen. the jeep just had the clock spring recall done and the passenger side unit bearing replaced. so i think the passenger side front caliper has frozen up. anyways ill be replacing the ball joint with a set of Teraflex ones i think(i don't want to do ball joints again) and ill also be replacing the tie rod and steering stabilizer . i'll also be rebuilding or replacing both front calipers , r&r the rotors and pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode