sorry, need tire advice... out with the Duratracs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

sorry, need tire advice... out with the Duratracs

2009 JK 4 Door. 65k on my current Duratracs, they're done. 285/70 r17. Love them but don't need this type tire. I want quiet, good in wet and dry, and occasional snow. Very minimal off road. Could go slightly larger, I have AEV wheels and a 2.5 inch OME LIFT. Opinions? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Granite Guru

I'm digging the new BFG KO2s.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #3 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

you have described the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain tires , OP. You will not be disappointed by any aspect of the tire. I promise they are that good. Even in mud and they have a 3 peak snow rating. Talk to discount tire direct on here ( a jko vendor) as they got me a set very early on after they came to market. They are miracle tires, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
you have described the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain tires , OP. You will not be disappointed by any aspect of the tire. I promise they are that good. Even in mud and they have a 3 peak snow rating. Talk to discount tire direct on here ( a jko vendor) as they got me a set very early on after they came to market. They are miracle tires, lol

Thanks for the reply. These seem great but I'm really looking for the best road manners with a willingness to sacrifice off road capability. These BFGs seem like a direct alternative to the Duratracs. Looking to lean more towards road...

post #5 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmcc View Post
Thanks for the reply. These seem great but I'm really looking for the best road manners with a willingness to sacrifice off road capability. These BFGs seem like a direct alternative to the Duratracs. Looking to lean more towards road...

I would say that your assumption is incorrect. The BFG AT KO2 is a fantastic road tire that is well known to wear very well, resist hydroplane very well, work in snow very well, be very quiet, and yet be able to go off-road and make magic happen. In my humble opinion, there really is no tire that is a direct comparison to the wizardry that is the BFG A/T KO2. I guess if I had to pull a choice for the closest competitor, it would be the General Grabber AT2, but even it is a shadow of the tire that the BFG is.

That there is my opinion.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, but no one wants to hear someone else's.
Fatbob Frank likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #6 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I would say that your assumption is incorrect. The BFG AT KO2 is a fantastic road tire that is well known to wear very well, resist hydroplane very well, work in snow very well, be very quiet, and yet be able to go off-road and make magic happen. In my humble opinion, there really is no tire that is a direct comparison to the wizardry that is the BFG A/T KO2. I guess if I had to pull a choice for the closest competitor, it would be the General Grabber AT2, but even it is a shadow of the tire that the BFG is.

That there is my opinion.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, but no one wants to hear someone else's.
I agree, BFG A/T Ko2 is one of the best "All Weather" tires you can get. Quiet, smooth, good wear,. 50,000 miles or so would be reasonable to expect from them. Plus they look cool...
larry0071 likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

they are as quiet as the Bridgestone Duelers that the Unlimited came stock with -iows silent - and whatever miracle compound bfg concocted has them not even worn 2/32s after 15k . Round, balance with nearly no weight and they are ninja silent . Air em down and they act like an MT off-road. I don't even hear a hum from them when on asphalt. They are sticky , feel like pencil erasure durometer but don't wear and it baffles the mind as to how this is accomplished.
They are another league different from the Duratrac tire and not comparable. That is the amazing bit when talking about the ko2s ; how the heck can something as competent off-road drive like a bloody all season radial from Granma's Pacifica?
Do your research ... I don't have any bfg affiliations at all. I used to think they were overrated as far as thier products but this tire changed everything.
larry0071 and trippmcc like this.

post #8 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Another one VERY happy with 35" BFG AT KO2 35x12.5x17. Had them mounted balanced and out the door for $1296 for four tires through Mavis with sales tax and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I asked cuz I wanted opinions, I don't have KO2s, you do. I appreciate your reply! Thanks!

post #10 of 35 Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Rock God

I had Duratracs on my last Jeep and I have KO2's on my new one. Each tire has its place, but considering I DD my Jeep, the KO2's have been a better tire. They wear better than my Duratracs did. The rubber is stiffer, tighter tread pattern, and I rotate them more frequently. They're also quite on the road. Off-road, they grip like crazy if you're crawling on dry rocks. The most trouble I've had with them is on excessively muddy hill climbs.
hd333 likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 02:08 AM
Granite Guru

I put the KO2s on my wife's Cherokee and that thing is now a real beast in the snow.
Plus we recently had a huge ice storm roll through and they certainly are the best
NON-snow tire I've ever run on ice.
I'm definitely going to put a set on my Wrangler when my current BFG MTs need replaced.

"Wake me for the Revolution..."
post #12 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

maybe OP can start seeing the reason the KO2sold , like , a million tires in first 8 months? Not that it is what you must buy as new tire but this will go on and on like this. It is a magnificent tire. My 95 Cherokee is a daily driver for my wife and has Dick Cepek fun country ( new model) and while amazing tires , they don't come close to wear resistance of the ko2 and soon it will have the bfg AT as well.

I have heard some say the newish Toyo AT is decent and Cooper makes fine tires but I've only run thier STT MT.

post #13 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
maybe OP can start seeing the reason the KO2sold , like , a million tires in first 8 months? Not that it is what you must buy as new tire but this will go on and on like this. It is a magnificent tire. My 95 Cherokee is a daily driver for my wife and has Dick Cepek fun country ( new model) and while amazing tires , they don't come close to wear resistance of the ko2 and soon it will have the bfg AT as well.

I have heard some say the newish Toyo AT is decent and Cooper makes fine tires but I've only run thier STT MT.

The Cooper AT2 looks pretty good, like the older BFG AT with the nice squared corners from tread to side, they sort of copy the BFG tread design philosophy but change it enough to avoid getting sued, but the compound does not have the same wear characteristics or traction ability of the BFG.

That is why I say it is the closest second to the BFG version, it's a good bit cheaper and delivers a nice strong look and better than average traction on road and trail (comparing to other ATs on the market) as well as quiet.

But the ultimate reason I would be going with the BFG is life and road/trail traction under many varying conditions.

The reason I would go with (and have) the General Grabber AT2 is for a vehicle I am not expecting to keep long, or it's a higher mile "beater" that can die at any time.

My 17 year old daughter just got a $1200 2003 Grand Cherokee that I did a 3" lift on, I'm putting 265-70-16 General Grabbers on it for her since I can't predict the day of death on that 4.0L with 115,000 miles. (It was an AMSOIL engine since almost new by the previous owner, so maybe it will go forever?)

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

post #14 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

I just replaced the Goodyear Duratracs on the wifes JKU and went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. We have about 1500 miles on them and not only are they super quiet but good in the snow with great dry road manners. These are 35" and the duratracs were 315/70r17. Couldn't be more happy, as they are more quiet than duratracs and will hopefully give us a good service life.

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #15 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
The Cooper AT2 looks pretty good, like the older BFG AT with the nice squared corners from tread to side, they sort of copy the BFG tread design philosophy but change it enough to avoid getting sued, but the compound does not have the same wear characteristics or traction ability of the BFG.

That is why I say it is the closest second to the BFG version, it's a good bit cheaper and delivers a nice strong look and better than average traction on road and trail (comparing to other ATs on the market) as well as quiet.

But the ultimate reason I would be going with the BFG is life and road/trail traction under many varying conditions.

The reason I would go with (and have) the General Grabber AT2 is for a vehicle I am not expecting to keep long, or it's a higher mile "beater" that can die at any time.

My 17 year old daughter just got a $1200 2003 Grand Cherokee that I did a 3" lift on, I'm putting 265-70-16 General Grabbers on it for her since I can't predict the day of death on that 4.0L with 115,000 miles. (It was an AMSOIL engine since almost new by the previous owner, so maybe it will go forever?)

those Generals Grabbers are not a bad tire at all. Hey-Hey! Watch that prediction on any inline 6 4.0l engine "Deadpool" betting ; I have one with juuuust shy of 400,000 original 'me & wife' miles on it and they do not give up the ghost easily.

post #16 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Granite Guru

Wow, almost a half million miles! That's crazy. If that Amsoil does as it says, this thing should be like new inside I suppose. Sadly, the fenders are rusting off, bring that we live in Pittsburgh, the heart of the North eastern rust belt.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #17 of 35 Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Wheeler

Garage

really happy with the 37 KO2s that I moved to in December from the 315 duratracs. Managed to test highway, city, dirt, on ice, in rain, through slush, through mud, through snow, and on a rock trail so far. really balanced, quieter, nice ride.
mavrick and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.

2013 PBU JKU-S, 37x12.50R17 KO2s, Fuel D552, RE: 3.5progressive+hydrbumps+disconnects TF:TB-DL-TR+Long arms+LCAskids+FoxResi+tailgate, grade 9 bolts, 10th hood, NemInd fenders, RSE Al rear, TNT stubby + sliders, ORH top, KCGravityPros, JWS taillight, Riddle cover 4.56 eaton elocker, sleeves + chromolys, DT BJs, Mopar + DT brakes
post #18 of 35 Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Rock God

I have General Grabber red letters on my jeep. I like them, super capable on dirt, sand and rock. I have never used them in Snow, because I live in Arizona where it just doesn't snow. I've had them for about 20k miles, and the wear is really good.
I have Toyo AT2's on my Raptor, and I just replaced the previous set of AT2's. They lasted about 60k miles. They are silent, as in no noise, yet still have an aggressive tread pattern. They handle great and are stable on the road. I can recommend them, as well.
I also wheeled this week with someone that does it professionally. He was running 37" ko2's. I was surprised at how well they did, and how tight the tread pattern was. He said they last about a year for his use, then he gets a new set. I think my grabbers are stickier, but they are probably noisier, although I don't find them objectionable. I do daily drive the jeep, about 25,000 miles a year.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-23-2017, 04:26 AM
Wheeler

have about 2k on my ridge grapplers now and I live in BIG snow country. So far I'm very impressed with them. Ive got bfg at on my 2000 tj and id say my 2 dr jk is even better on snow and ice but that could be wheelbase an the fact that bfgs are 7 years old and although they have lots of tread left they might be getting a bit harder.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
have about 2k on my ridge grapplers now and I live in BIG snow country. So far I'm very impressed with them. Ive got bfg at on my 2000 tj and id say my 2 dr jk is even better on snow and ice but that could be wheelbase an the fact that bfgs are 7 years old and although they have lots of tread left they might be getting a bit harder.
The BFG your talking about is also the old and discontinued version. The new one (KO2) is better in every measurable metric.

And note that at 7 years old, the rubber is no longer anywhere near what it once was.

Tires are generally supposed to be removed from service after 5 years. Rubber never stops curing, we can chemically effect the cure rates but you never stop it.

Fact = Rubber never stops curing / Rubber cures to failure. So to think that a 7 year old tire is equal to a new identical tire is impossible, and comparing to a new and greatly improved tire is way out there in left field.

post #21 of 35 Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Wheeler

What about the Toyo Open Country A/T II

I have read good things about those
post #22 of 35 Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemandb77 View Post

I have read good things about those

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires

Fine street tire, decent snow/sand tire. More of an OEM replacement SUV/Truck tire than any sort of off-road tire. No where near the BFG AT KO2 that was mentioned multiple times above. If your an occasional off road person, especially in an area with mud, clay, rains, and hills.... then stay away from a tire like this and lean to the more aggressive AT.

The thing about tires, from pure street tires to all-terrain to mud terrain.... is that there are varying degrees within each major category. There are mild all terrains that serve better as a street/daily driver/soccer mom tire, and there are what I call extreme all terrains that are leaning hard on mud tires. And there is are all levels in between.

The Cooper Discoverer AT3 is most likely a better choice than that. Still not nearly aggressive enough in my opinion, and no match to the BFG... but at least equal to your Toyo OC A/T II and I would bet cheaper.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer A/T3?

It seems that a number of people are looking for a way to not buy the tire that is most recommended and most accepted in many circles as one of or the best compromise tire in the world, why? I don't know. The BFG Radial All-Terrain KO2 tire really is (or should be) the go to tire for the great majority of people. It checks more boxes off than any other tire know.

post #23 of 35 Old 01-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Rock God

sorry, need tire advice... out with the Duratracs

I've run KO and not a fan. I prefer the Duratracs.. my son ran the KOs on his Jeep, not a fan either. He now Runs Mickey Thompsons.
When you need an all weather all year tire Duratracs is still the better choice. Up here Police services, fire, rescue and EMS all run Duratracs on their light trucks and ambulances Year round.
The new Pitbull PBX A/T is suppose to be a very good tire.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #24 of 35 Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Wheeler

I think I covered the age thing in my post. The ko2 isn't some revolutionary improvement over the old tire. slightly different rubber compound and side biters. Same tread pattern though. There is one thing they went backward on and that's in making a true round tire. the internet is full of storys on how hard the ko2 is to balance and keep balanced and a lot of the owners of the ko2 claim a lot less tread life then with the old tire. No doubt due to the softer rubber compound. I ran bfgs all my life and have had about a dozen pairs of the old at and allways loved that tire. But when it came to buying this time I went with ridge grapplers because of all the balancing problem with the ko2s. Now when they come out with a ko3 ill go back and take a hard look again at bfg tires. by the way those ats on my jeep that are 7 years old only have about 30k on them. My jeep isn't a daily driver. Its a third vehicle in the family. Its kept in a garage out of the sun and I don't know about you but tires that look like new aren't going to get tossed by me. Ive heard all the warnings, mostly posted by tire companys that claim you need to get new tires every 3 years. About the same as the oil companys claiming you need to change oil ever 3k. No doubt tires degrade with time but well kept tires that don't sit in the sun all day are not magically bad at 3 years. Change yours if you want but I have better things to spend my money on.
Quote:
The BFG your talking about is also the old and discontinued version. The new one (KO2) is better in every measurable metric.

And note that at 7 years old, the rubber is no longer anywhere near what it once was.

Tires are generally supposed to be removed from service after 5 years. Rubber never stops curing, we can chemically effect the cure rates but you never stop it.

Fact = Rubber never stops curing / Rubber cures to failure. So to think that a 7 year old tire is equal to a new identical tire is impossible, and comparing to a new and greatly improved tire is way out there in left field.

Last edited by lloydsmale; 02-08-2017 at 06:35 AM.
post #25 of 35 Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemandb77 View Post
My $0.02, don't. And here's why...

Quote:
It seems that a number of people are looking for a way to not buy the tire that is most recommended and most accepted in many circles as one of or the best compromise tire in the world, why? I don't know. The BFG Radial All-Terrain KO2 tire really is (or should be) the go to tire for the great majority of people. It checks more boxes off than any other tire know.
I'm currently running the Toyo Open Country A/T II in 285/75 (measure to 33" at pressure) and have been DD'ing them for about 1.5 years. I did my research, reading pages and pages of threads and reviews, before finally narrowing it down to two options: the BFG KO2 or the Toyo Open Country A/T II. At the time, the BFGs were relatively new and more expensive than the Toyos, though only by a few dollars. Despite their new-ness, I do recall the large majority of reviewers having only good things to say about the BFGs. The Toyos? Well, there just wasn't nearly as much info on them. But for some reason I was determined to try something different, even though I've personally had only good experiences with BFG tires, including an old TJ, my Dad's XJ, and I even thought the stock Mud Terrains weren't terrible. On the whole, the Toyos are not bad tires, they just don't work for me. Yes, they're relatively quiet on the road and seem to be wearing well. BUT, they're pretty dang heavy in my size and the rain/snow performance is poor, often unpredictable.

Bottom line, tires are expensive and you're probably going to be at least looking at them everyday for a while. As larry0071 and others above hinted, the BFG KO2 is highly recommended for several reasons and numerous owners can personally attest to its performance. Don't "try something different" for the sake of trying something different. Yes, it seems everybody else and their dog is running the KO2s...it only seems that way because they're arguably the better tire. Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode