Speedometer error - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
jct
Wheeler

Speedometer error

I plan on putting larger tires on my JK soon and was wondering if the dealer can re-flash the computer to adjust the speedo to the larger tires? Anyone have any idea?
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Granite Guru

Ive heard yes and no. I talked to one of my local dealers yesterday and they said they didnt think they could change the speedo past the factory tire sizes, but said bring it in and they will play around with it. It makes me think that they dont have a clue.

Of course this was the same dealer that said getting the u-connect to work in my JK would be impossible
post #3 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Just had 35in rubber put on and the Dealership recal'ed the speedo for me.. Cost about $45 on my end.. I trust that it was done correctly... All it took was about 15 min and a computer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Granite Guru

The answer is "no" unless something has changed with the systems that the dealer has. When I first investigated this I sat down with the service manager and their Starscan tool and it only provided a limited set of choices for tire sizes and gear ratios.

Based on that information in order to get a correct speedometer you will need to go with an aftermarket programmer like the Hypertech Max Energy. I believe there are others out there, but I went with the Hypertech.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
The answer is "no" unless something has changed with the systems that the dealer has. When I first investigated this I sat down with the service manager and their Starscan tool and it only provided a limited set of choices for tire sizes and gear ratios.

Based on that information in order to get a correct speedometer you will need to go with an aftermarket programmer like the Hypertech Max Energy. I believe there are others out there, but I went with the Hypertech.
x2. My first JK came from the dealer with a lift and 35's yet they had no way to re-flash the computer past the Rubicon 32" tires. If I were you Explore I would be going back and asking to see their program to program to 35's and get your money back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=tgrt;38953]The answer is "no" unless something has changed with the systems that the dealer has. When I first investigated this I sat down with the service manager and their Starscan tool and it only provided a limited set of choices for tire sizes and gear ratios.QUOTE]

x3 The dealer could not program for 37's and 5:13 gears. I went the Hypertech route.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Rock God

Yeah, you will need the Hypertech...Explore, you should go get your money back...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM

I bought the hypertech when I went to 35's.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Last time I heard, the dealers can't go larger than a 32" tire.

There are aftermarket solutions, and, its quite possible that an individual dealer invested in equipment that can perform additional calibrations.

An easy way to check for free, to see if you are calibrated...

Just hit the hwy, and look for those mile markers every 1/10 of a mile...

Go an indicated 60 mph on your speedometer, and, see if you go one mile according to the mile markers (NOT your odometer!) every 60 seconds.

If you are going a mile a minute at an indicated 60 mph...you're golden.

If it takes closer to a mere 55 seconds (Anything less than 60 seconds per mile...), well, you are NOT golden.

If for example the dealer calibrated for 32's, and you have 35's...you'd be going about 8.6% faster than the speedometer said you were, and about 8.6% further than the odometer said you were.

So - instead of 60 seconds to go a mile, you'd cover the mile 8.6% faster, or , in about 55 seconds.

Hope that helps!

PS - finding one of those unmanned speed trap sign things...or, using a GPS that gives your ACTUAL speed, and comparing it to what the speedometer says, would ALSO answer the question.

You'd need to be going at least an indicated 60 mph to be going fast enough to tell the difference with any reliability though.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.

Last edited by TEEJ; 09-30-2008 at 09:11 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 AM
JR
Rock God

We work very closely with a local dealership who does alot of modding to JK's right off the lot.

Their answer is the same, 4.10's and 32's are the furthest they can go (existing factory programs)

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode