Rock Rails - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackOps82

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Rock Rails

Just ordered my front bumper and winch - Next up are rock rails/sliders. What are your favorites and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Wheeler

If you don't have commitment issues.... I have and really like the Crawler Conceptz rock sliders. It takes balls to drill into the body but they will take a beating. They make a fairly decent step and I feel sit higher compared to some of the other sliders. And they are made in the good ol' us of A.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 01:46 PM
JKO Addict!

VKS all the way. Some of the best made sliders available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Granite Guru

You're in luck as there's plenty of good rock sliders available for the JK. The ones listed are really good and another option are the ones from JCR. Those have held up really well on my rig for the past few years.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

They aren't cheap but if you need/want powered steps, I really love my Rock Slide Engineering step sliders/armor!
post #6 of 19 Old 01-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

I have the VKS Prerunner sliders on my 2 door. Completely bolt on installations (well, with a lot of drilling) and they look great. I got some shit from friends (wheeling buddies) for not going with a weld on setup, which VKS also offers. Here's why;

-Yes, they aren't, in theory, as strong as a weld on setup, but I planned on using them. The ability to remove for paint/cleanup was important to me
-I didn't want anything in the way if future plans or directions change (Long arm, etc)
-Didn't want to spend time fuckin with the installation

I had some hesitations at first because of an improperly installed, similar set on a friends Jeep caused some flex and some damage. BUT, I've landed on mine hard, I've used them to pivot around stuff and I've used them to actually slide (V notch rock obstacle) and they have stood up and laughed it off. Plus they look great. I've seen no movement from them, they are securely tied to the FRAME (not the body, body mounts or some other witchcraft) and the design allows me to deflect off of stuff. Plus they slide really nice... same granite obstacle with VKS vs Stock, the stock actually took some work cause they were grabbing (as they deflected, bent, were a flat surface..) whereas the VKS glide across.

Two things don't worry me with my Jeep when I'm wheeling. I drive pretty cautiously and within my limits, but I don't care about smacking my Poison Spyder BFH front bumper and I don't care about landing on those sliders.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

I have EVO's welded on, and they are awesome!
VKS are very similar, and you can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion

One thing to keep in mind when installing them is how close you set them to the body.
When you take a really big hit, the body actually shifts on the rubber body mounts and will make possibly make contact with your sliders.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502JKU View Post
Just ordered my front bumper and winch - Next up are rock rails/sliders. What are your favorites and why?
depends on your goals. probably in the order of easy duty to heavy duty -> some bolt to the tub. some bolt to the frame rail. some get welded.

i went with metalcloak's rocker with a removable step for various reasons. it's tub bolted, and they make references to the setup as a "rub rail" in their product descriptors. there's no chance it stands up to a super hard hit like a VKS, but i came down on a rock yesterday with a good thud and it seems to have held up fine.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

So what purpose does rocker armor serve if it doesn't prevent damage?

For example, Poison Spyder's tub mounted Rocker Knockers can cause body damage on hard hits or extreme use. Is that the case even if the Jeep has rocker armor?

I'm also in the market for sliders, and am trying to narrow my choices down as well.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Rock God

For really light wheeling where you never really hit them, someone would have no problem with body mount sliders. For even moderate wheeling bumping them into stuff, body mount sliders are simply a bad idea. You WILL do damage, it's only a matter of time. The damage probably won't be severe but it will distort things.

If you even slide Rubicon sliders let alone hit them you'll dent your tub to no end (stock Rubicon sliders are some of the weakest body mount sliders though - the ones that drill in and contact a large surface of the tub are significantly stronger). After denting up the tub I ended up building my own with $100 of tube and welded them to the frame. They're great. For moderate to hard wheeling, there's no substitute for frame mounted sliders at least 1/8th wall tube (bolt-on is fine too as long as it doesn't bolt to the body). Better to bump it up to 3/16" wall and for extreme wheeling you need 1/4" wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
One thing to keep in mind when installing them is how close you set them to the body.
When you take a really big hit, the body actually shifts on the rubber body mounts and will make possibly make contact with your sliders.
That's a really important point, I have mine mounted a bit under a 1/4 inch below the body and there's a little indent in the body where each tube has contacted during body/frame flex. That's the extent of the damage I will ever get and I don't care, but watch out for that.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Nemesis Billy Rocker on my 2 door and they exceeded my expectations. Some people don't like the alloy, instead of steel, but I've taken some very hard hits and they've done great. I sprayed painted them with good paint so that I can re-paint them as needed. One of the main reasons I bought the alloy rockers is because of weight.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
KJV
Granite Guru

I have the VKS Prerunner sliders on my 4 door. They've survived drops, wedged granite v's and have been used to pivot around obstacles. They are scratched and battle scarred. They have exceeded everything I have expected from a set of sliders. There is not a mark on the jeeps tub or rockers because of them. Made in the USA and are fairly priced.

2010 JKU. 3.5 RK Flex, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Method 105's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, VKS Shorty V2 with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Cage
post #13 of 19 Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Granite Guru

Take a look at Poison Spyder Brawler Rocker also. They look good and can be used as steps.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
I have the VKS Prerunner sliders on my 2 door. Completely bolt on installations (well, with a lot of drilling) and they look great. I got some shit from friends (wheeling buddies) for not going with a weld on setup, which VKS also offers. Here's why;

-Yes, they aren't, in theory, as strong as a weld on setup, but I planned on using them. The ability to remove for paint/cleanup was .

They are probably the best bolt on i have seen but you still can't beat some of the weld on options for all out abuse.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
They are probably the best bolt on I have seen but you still can't beat EVO or VKS weld on for all out abuse.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage
Red face

Thanks for the kind words. We agree that the Billy Rockers are pretty legit.
Here is a shot of them with the optional step.

OP good luck in your hunt for the rails of your choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I have the Nemesis Billy Rocker on my 2 door and they exceeded my expectations. Some people don't like the alloy, instead of steel, but I've taken some very hard hits and they've done great. I sprayed painted them with good paint so that I can re-paint them as needed. One of the main reasons I bought the alloy rockers is because of weight.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Industries View Post
Thanks for the kind words. We agree that the Billy Rockers are pretty legit.
Here is a shot of them with the optional step.

OP good luck in your hunt for the rails of your choice!

I might have to go with Nemisis I want to keep my money local. Plenty of other soldiers looking for local as well.
Nemesis Industries likes this.

Float like a Cadillac Sting like a Bimmer.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post

X2

I have used bolt on sliders and been disappointed.

VKS weld on's are killer.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #19 of 19 Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Are the JCR's frame mounted or tub mounted. They look tub mounted, but I wasn't sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode