Double tube bumpers with flat fenders - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Double tube bumpers with flat fenders

I am eventually going to purchase a set of Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders but I am bumper shopping right now. I don't do any major off-roading so there is no real need for a winch and d-rings. The main reason for the bumper is protection from deer. I am looking at the double tube bumper for a couple of reasons: cost, old school look, and will allow me to keep my factory fog lights. Has anybody ever run flat fenders with a double tube bumper? Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Rock God

https://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Bumpers-Jee...n=S%2fBJB48-FT

you mean that one? if so, just my opinion, eh not my style

Don't want that to come off as being mean. If you like the bumper that is all that matters. I wouldn't purchase one that isn't exactly what you want, just because it is cheaper. that is how I should have worded it probably.

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1

Last edited by wildchild; 12-20-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Rock God

Double tube bumpers with flat fenders

Holy fuck those are the ugliest things in the world. Seriously. I. Can't. Fucking. Stand them. How's that for an opinion

#keepinitreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Ripper, how do you really feel?
post #5 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

why not a regular bumper with a bull bar?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #6 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRated View Post
Ripper, how do you really feel?

Just being honest here... seeing those things chills me to the bone.. lol.
On a side note if you live anywhere near me, I have a set of bumpers for sale that would look great on your rig!

post #7 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Where are you?
post #8 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
why not a regular bumper with a bull bar?
I know the factory bumper won't hold up to a deer so I want to ditch it altogether. As much as I'd like a good plate bumper, the cost just outweighs the need.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
Holy fuck those are the ugliest things in the world. Seriously. I. Can't. Fucking. Stand them. How's that for an opinion

#keepinitreal

c'mon Chuck. You know you act like there is a Barricade around your heart for the Double Tube Bumper when
this should be your only Barricade:

ths what you wanna pre-tenderize venison with, OP? I have a pretty good idea that 7 pointer or Bambi's Mom is gonna win over one of the old tube bumpers ;
I suggest you stubbify your OEM and add a cattle catcher and train whistle. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-20-2016 at 04:42 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

That's another concern that I have: I don't wanna spend the money on a tube bumper and it not be much sturdier than the plastic factory bumper. So it sounds like the masses say save a little longer and get a plate bumper.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Tube bumpers are just very played out. They go way back to CJ's and TJ's and they just scream obscenities like "First Google Search!" and "Quadratec for life!" and "X-treme Beach Bunny!". They are dated and look weak in most people's eyes. They're also really out of place on a JK.

I would definitely save up if you can and look into some American companies like VKS, Savvy, JCR, Genright, etc. Tons of pictures to gauge what looks good to you besides these glorified pool noodles. Consider what the ultimate goal will be in regards to what you're going to do with the vehicle and how the bumpers will tie-into/ compliment the rest of the vehicle, bare, finished, powder-coat, rattle-can, whether or not you want to match front and rear, whether you plan to crawl rocks and ledges, whether you're going to want a winch, design aspects like mid/ full/ stubby, stinger/ no stinger, aux lighting compatibility, etc, etc... all should be part of your consideration.

That way, a too-slow buck can say to himself "Holy shit that is one bad ass stealth-looking bumper coming at me! I'm gonna die!!" May not even have to call the insurance company!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallRated View Post
I'd say that's ~better than stock, but a fookin' 2x4 would fulfill that goal for about 5 bucks.
On the bumper you linked, the bolt-on hoop would probably shear its Chinese "grade 5" bolts and fly upon contact with Bambi.

For comparison, the Warden by VKS has similar coverage and winch placement, costs a bit more and needs to be coated, but it's a product I'd trust.

Night-and-day difference in their ability to prevent vehicle damage if said vehicle is accidentally used to "harvest" game animals.

EDIT: while I'm not religiously opposed to tube bumpers (I've had 'em on 2 older Toyota pickups), functionally, there are better options for a JK.

Also, those of us who remember Ronald Reagan as a President or a Governor are reminded of 1980-bortions like this:
Attached Images

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 12-20-2016 at 08:16 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 19 Old 12-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Granite Guru

rather than getting a tube bumper because it fits your budget, why don't you just live with the stock bumper until you hit the deer, and then use the insurance money to buy a bumper that doesn't look like it belongs on daisy duke's cj?

or spend your money on a good bumper and cut your fenders rather than buying flat fenders.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Granite Guru

Save your money and save more so that you can get a sturdier bumper than a tube bumper.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Also, those of us who remember Ronald Reagan as a President or a Governor are reminded of 1980-bortions like this:
Ahh yes, the triple tube aluminum can bolt together roll bar.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Ahh yes, the triple tube aluminum can bolt together roll bar.
Ahh yes, the triple tube aluminum can bolt together ̶r̶o̶l̶l̶ sport bar.

Fixed that for you.

Most said it already - tube bumpers are not very strong, and provide a largely unsupported aesthetic to the Jeep.

If you want something to resist impact get a real bull bar - they were designed to handle impact with kangaroos, which are a similar vehicle nuisance in Australia. Some rockcrawling bumpers will cause more damage with a quick impact (some may be fine for slow bumps against rocks or limbs) that had there not been an aftermarket bumper at all.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #19 of 19 Old 12-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Wheeler

Get what you like. It's your jeep, you're the one that has to drive it. If you like the tube bumper, get the tube bumper.

Since you're asking, I'll second @ExWrench and vote for VKS. If their bumper is built anything like the rock bars I recently installed you'll be in good shape.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode