Name that lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Name that lift

Hey Guys
A local dealer has a 2012 rubicon on there lot. It's been heavily modified . The rear axle has been replaced with a curry and the front axle been trussed . It has a "long arm " lift but the dealer has no idea what it is . It does have pro comp shocks and dual steering stabilizers . But I didn't think procomp made a long arm lift .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Here are a few more pics

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #3 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'll play. I'm guessing that is a Rough Country 4" long arm lift. Probably had to replace the shocks at some point after they lifted it.

Assuming I'm right, what did I win?

2009 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Wheeler

Definitely rough country springs. I think the arms are Clayton though.

post #5 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

Definitely not a Pro Comp long arm kit.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

I would agree with JKommuter after looking at the link they provided. It's a not Clayton as they use square tubing for the lower arms front/rear in the long arm kit.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #7 of 17 Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
dealer is a little proud of it

I found out how much the dealer is asking for it . i think they are little proud of it , 35K is a little on the high side i think . i was thinking of trading my 08 JKU in on it but im not sure about the lift. and why would someone drop all that money into a rig and only put 40k on it.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale in Norman - 1C4BJWFGXCL245937 - Ferguson Buick GMC

let me know wut you guys think of this rig
post #8 of 17 Old 12-19-2016, 09:21 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Its a Rough Country long arm.

4in Long Arm Suspension Lift Kit for 2012-2017 Jeep JK Wrangler [782.22] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

You've got a $1800-$2K tire bill waiting on you for sure. Check over the joints in the suspension and the steering. Do they look worn? 40K may not be much on the road but there is dirt all over the dash so I'm sure she's been wheeled a bit. Nothing wrong with that, just make sure you understand that you're buying a Jeep that you don't know and will never know everything about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
test drive

OK i took the jeep for a short test drive . it had terrible bump steer and was all over the road. now my jeep rides very rough and this one was more loose, like the sway bars were disconnected. i dont know if the crap long arm lift just wonders or if it needs alignment help. who ever built the jeep dropped some money in it . it has an ARB fridge , air compressor and lockers . the curry rear end , AEV snorkel and the mile marker hydraulic winch are pricey too. the dealers salesman was clueless as expected and who ever traded it in, didn't leave a built list. i bet who ever built it got sick of the bad road manners and just walked away .

i have another question . if you have a long arm lift , how does it ride? I drive my jeep everywhere every day , in 3 years ive put 60K + on it. the "lift" i have is just a procomp 4 inch spring and shocks and the wifey is starting to get annoyed with the ride of my jeep. sooooo now ive got the green light to update the suspension on mine (since the jeep i test drove rode like a death trap) . ive been looked at the Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 X-Factor System and rubicon express 3.5" Super-Flex system. some of the long arm system are probably more than i need(weekend warrior and the jeep is my daily driver and has to get me to work) i would like the jeep to ride a little more comfortably for the family. its no fun to go wheeling with every one worn out before we get to the trails.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Rusty's Off-road has a similar long arm and mid arm "system" with radius links like that but they have 2" OD DOM arms and the springs give away that this appears to be a rough country ,as RCO pointed out. I'd replace the suspension lift as you are likely not wrong about Original owner getting fed up with the cheap parts handling , heh.

post #11 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Rusty's Off-road has a similar long arm and mid arm "system" with radius links like that but they have 2" OD DOM arms and the springs give away that this appears to be a rough country ,as RCO pointed out. I'd replace the suspension lift as you are likely not wrong about Original owner getting fed up with the cheap parts handling , heh.

Rusty's off roads long arm upgrade looks very reasonable Rusty's JK Wrangler Bolt-On Long Travel Upgrade - JK Wrangler & Rubicon ('07+) - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension . the long arm should help with the ride harshness , but how are the road manners . the loose/disconnected feeling of the jeep i drove was pretty crappy , i wouldn't want to trade the mildly crappy ride of my jeep to holy shit wut did i do .
post #12 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut707 View Post
wifey is starting to get annoyed with the ride of my jeep. sooooo now ive got the green light to update the suspension on mine (since the jeep i test drove rode like a death trap) . ive been looked at the Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 X-Factor System and rubicon express 3.5" Super-Flex system. some of the long arm system are probably more than i need(weekend warrior and the jeep is my daily driver and has to get me to work) i would like the jeep to ride a little more comfortably for the family. its no fun to go wheeling with every one worn out before we get to the trails.
Rock Krawler, Synergy, Metal Cloak are good names and support this forum, I wouldn't buy Rusty's. Make sure when you upgrade you address caster with either lower control arms or brackets. I think you and your wife will enjoy driving your jeep better with a complete kit that addresses bump stops, trackbars, arms etc...

I've ran a Teraflex 2.5" lift for over 120K miles with no problems, however if I were buying a lift today I would probably buy this one in 3.5":
Metalcloak 3.5" OME edition

2009 JKU

Last edited by JKommuter; 12-20-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Translated from grunts to English.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

yes; I should have been a little more clear on my comment that I was just suggesting what those radius control arms looked like to me; NOT what I think you should replace or look at in a new set or arms. FWIW, I have friends that had radius longarms on a JKU and they were very funky handling. I was NOT suggesting Rusty's as an alternative ( not that there is anything wrong with Rusty's; my '95 XJ has a 3" full kit on it from them but I am not a fan of their JK/JKU products)

srry if I confused; was just thinking those arms in your images looked like the Rusty's or the RoughCountry as mentioned.

(edit: out of curiosity - and because there is no more I can see anywhere on underside of that jeep - wtf is this stuff around the driver side shock tower up front? It's ...weird looking stuff.....)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-20-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

(edit: out of curiosity - and because there is no more I can see anywhere on underside of that jeep - wtf is this stuff around the driver side shock tower up front? It's ...weird looking stuff.....)[/QUOTE]

when i took those pics it was around 9 degrees out , its was frozen mud/sand . it was uncommonly cold in Oklahoma last weekend , it broke a record from 1924 . im originally from the Boston Ma area so the cold doesn't scare me like it scares the okies .
post #15 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptkrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut707 View Post
Hey Guys
A local dealer has a 2012 rubicon on there lot. It's been heavily modified . The rear axle has been replaced with a curry and the front axle been trussed . It has a "long arm " lift but the dealer has no idea what it is . It does have pro comp shocks and dual steering stabilizers . But I didn't think procomp made a long arm lift .
I'm betting it doesn't have enough caster (flighty feeling) adjusted in to keep that front stock driveshaft happy.

And the track bar has been raised on the axle size, but the drag link is still in it's original position (bump steer)

2011 JK SPORT
2014 Hemi Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
That's Daffy, not Donald you dillweed. Get your meat wackin' ducks straight!!
post #16 of 17 Old 12-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkrappy View Post

And the track bar has been raised on the axle size, but the drag link is still in it's original position (bump steer)

Nailed it. I bet that drives like dog shit. Also the upper radius arms seem to have a lot of thread showing. I'm not too familiar with this lift but I would guess there's way too much showing and that could quote possibly mean too low of castor. Also, I would never buy a vehicle off a lot that is in that shitty looking of condition, especially for 35k. The least they could do would be to wash the fucking mud off, maybe even hit that rust bucket with a can of spray paint. Holy fuck.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-22-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
update on the dealerships jeep

So i just happen to stop in at my local 4 wheel parts yesterday and holy shit that jeep i test drove was in the parking lot waiting to be worked on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode