LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Exclamation Breaking news:Wrangler Ev coming 2011

Chrysler LLC debuts several production EV's including wrangler

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=864784364

Source:Autoblog.com

CNBC's Phil Lebeau got a sneak peek at the new EVs Chrysler is developing, and it looks like Auburn Hills is pulling a Tesla, among other things. The yellow Dodge EV you see here is basically an electrified Lotus Europa. With lithium ion battery power, it's reportedly got an operating range of 150 - 200 miles and can be plugged in to household 110 or 220 outlets. Figure a four-hour charge on the latter, and 8 or so on the former. Zero-to-sixty is said to be under 5 seconds. Like we said, this is basically Chrysler's Tesla, right down to the Lotus-sourced donor vehicle.

We'll see the Dodge EV introduced formally later this afternoon, along with range-extended EV versions of the Chrysler Town & Country (can you say, "killer app"?) and Jeep Wrangler. With regard to timing, Chrysler says it would like to have "at least one" of these vehicles on the market by the end of 2010, the unofficial official year of the electric/plug-in car.

Look for all three prototypes to head to D.C., where they'll be showcased for Congressional leaders who have a say in whether or not Washington will show Detroit the money they've been asking for.

For now, you can watch the preview unveiling of the cars on CNBC by watching this video. Chrysler's got something planned for 1PM today, so we expect to have a lot more info and photos then. Stay tuned.

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Openly Hostile

Maybe this will offset their gas mileage averages enough to put a hemi in it for us!

Jason
post #3 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Rock God

EV is not the way to go. LNG is much better and very plentiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Banned

post #5 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Wheeler

From what Chrysler is giving in that interview, I think the EV would be good for a commuter-box daily driver, but not not for a serious off-road vehicle...You heard him say that there is only a 1 liter engine in the Jeep after the batteries and motor. Is that 1 liter engine supposed to power the Jeep effectively off-road after the initial 40 mile electric motor kicks it? Not really sure about that EV thing for the Jeep...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY $HIT...WHAT A RIDE!"
post #6 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Pics released

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chrysler-evs/1051809/

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Wheeler

I maybe wrong but the Jeep looks to be 2WD not 4WD.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Alec W

If they can make this work off-road Id be all over it.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's a start. I hope they are commited to making it for the right reasons and not just for PR or CAFE. My general feeling is the only way to improve a Jeep is to make it more Jeep-like. So, they have to be careful with how complicated it gets, and how capable it is. But it's a good idea.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't mind it as a daily driver. Just would need to black out the chrome.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #11 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Rock God

X2 on the 2WD but I guess its a Start.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Openly Hostile

I was serious tho, if they put EV's to market it will lower their average fuel economy numbers and that COULD help us in getting that gas guzzlin v8 a bunch of us want! Either way tho, I would love to have an EV to drive to work everyday...prolly not a Jeep, but the chevy volt looks promising.

Jason
post #13 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Wheeler

They had to use a 9" rear end with 7.33 gears on the rear end beacuse it would not get out of its own way with the factory 4.10 ratio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also a lifted springs were installed to maintain factory ride height due to the extra weight of the batteries.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

Did I here the word traction motors on all 4 wheels in the video? yes 3:55 into the video. That would mean no more axels or drive shafts to break on the trail and no differentials to hang up on rocks. They could be on to somthing.

Last edited by jkpirate; 09-23-2008 at 07:28 PM.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpirate View Post
Did I here the word traction motors on all 4 wheels in the video? yes 3:55 into the video. That would mean no more axels or drive shafts to break on the trail and no differentials to hang up on rocks. They could be on to somthing.
Yep, that would be interesting

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #16 of 28 Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinW View Post
From what Chrysler is giving in that interview, I think the EV would be good for a commuter-box daily driver, but not not for a serious off-road vehicle...You heard him say that there is only a 1 liter engine in the Jeep after the batteries and motor. Is that 1 liter engine supposed to power the Jeep effectively off-road after the initial 40 mile electric motor kicks it? Not really sure about that EV thing for the Jeep...
It is suppose to be all electric, with separate electric motors on each wheel. the 1 liter engine just runs a generator to keep the battery charged. It is suppose to go 40 miles without using any gas at all then can be recharged in 8 hours on 110v or 4 hours on 220v.. After 40 miles the generator turns on and keeps the battery charged while you run on it. It is suppose to be able keep the battery charged through 400 miles on one tank of gas (9gals).
post #17 of 28 Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Senate passes legislation including PHEV tax credits

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #18 of 28 Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Garage

Wow, a $7,500 tax credit on a JK would be nice.... I bet lifting an EV JK will be next to impossible though - if they even ever come out with a 4x4 version.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Wow, a $7,500 tax credit on a JK would be nice.... I bet lifting an EV JK will be next to impossible though - if they even ever come out with a 4x4 version.
I swore in the video they said something about off-road worthyness (or something like that). It would definitely be a tall order to lift it.... but if the motors were built into the axles then maybe not so much??? I donno.

At least its a start in the right direction.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The auto industry is in for a great shakeup in the next few years, Hopefully Jeep does not make the wrangler into a super lux sport ute and stays close to its roots.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #21 of 28 Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Wheeler

If this works, it would be a new frontier for our off-road community. This would also help us be in a better light with the so called greenies.

Keep it on all 4 when necessary

2007 jeep wrangler Rubicon named RubyDoo
Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 8274 winch 1988, Skid row skid plate, TF 2.5 BB with shock extenders and Unlimited Rubicon springs, ProComp XTerrains 35x12.50x17, Cragar 345 17" steel wheels, Turbo muffler and custom tail pipe, AEM 3" x9" cone air filter, Alloy usa front axle shafts, ARB and Master Air Compressors with 2.5 gal tank, 30x36 storage box full of stuff.
post #22 of 28 Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKat View Post
If this works, it would be a new frontier for our off-road community. This would also help us be in a better light with the so called greenies.
I like to thank so too, here in AZ they are comaplaining about Dust...IN the Freakin Desert!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #23 of 28 Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Granite Guru

A 40hp Electric motor would have great torque for wheeling. Particularly with gear reduction. The ICE is likely to charge the batteries only. It would be a good thing. Remember that Electric Motors have contstant torque. Awesome.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #24 of 28 Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Rock God

I think they are going to work on the motor at each wheel thing, I don't think they are there yet...I also need to be able to pull it behind my RV, and I bet the motor at each wheel thing would really much things up....

we'll see, but I bet it might be hard to mod too...
post #25 of 28 Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
I think they are going to work on the motor at each wheel thing, I don't think they are there yet...I also need to be able to pull it behind my RV, and I bet the motor at each wheel thing would really much things up....

we'll see, but I bet it might be hard to mod too...
Maybe towing wouldn't be so bad. It would turn the motors into generators.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode