3 1/2 Lift to a 5.5 Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By coilrod
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

3 1/2 Lift to a 5.5 Lift

I have 12 JKU with 3 1/2 inch lift and 37/13.50's. The Jeep was built to cruise the strip at the beach, so wheel travel was not an issue.

Recently I installed a Rampage rear bumper, and just a few days ago a GOBI Stealth rack. Its now rubbing the rear bumper anytime I go over what would basically be a little less then a curb. I went down the road to a shop that messes around with big trucks, etc, and was told I could simply switch out the springs to a 5.5" and that would raise it up a couple of inches and we're back in business. That seemed odd me in concept as lift was designed to be a 3 1/2, therefore I would think all the arms were built for that amount. Raising it up would make things too short? I called the manufacture of the lift and they told me the same thing (just get larger springs), though they added I would need some sort of steering extender (I don't recall the technical name). I was ready to order until I was informed they are out of stock on all these items and it would be about 3 weeks. At this point I decided I would just cut bumper, however for the heck of it I drove down to 4 Wheel parts today and was told the exact opposite to the above. They said my original thinking was correct. You cant take a 3 1/2 lift and just add 2 inches to it. I would need new shocks etc. That makes more sense to me, but I am very uneducated when it comes to all this. 4 Wheel said the thing to do it add a 1 3/4 Rear Coil Spacer, so I ordered it, and its set to be installed on Tuesday.

I still feel like I might be missing something in regard to not having 100% accurate information. Seems like 4 Wheel should know what they're doing, but it also seems like the manufacture of the lift should fall into that same category. So who is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...surements.html post 14
What is your measured lift?
2.5" with flat fenders gave me room for 37's until I added 750 pounds of co-worker and both our work gear. 3.5" metalcloak springs fixed it, coil spacers worked for a while also.
Thing is, my 37" trxus tires rubbed the front of the rear wheel well behind the rear doors. Yours rubs the rear bumper?
5.5 inches of lift is a huge lift, your steering geometry will suffer, pinion angles, roll centers, swaybar links, brake lines abs lines, ride, stability would not be great. More so with a roof rack and any load on it....so the 1st shop is not the best source of info.
phljeeper likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

Not sure why 4wheel would tell you that you can't just add longer springs and then in the next breath they tell you to order a coil spacer kit. Going above 3.5 inches of lift is likely going to require extensive amounts of work to the rest of your suspension system. It doesn't matter if you get new longer springs or add spacers to your existing springs, the net result is still a lift of approximately 5.5" total which is a HUGE lift by jeep standards and requires other parts to make it work correctly. Additionally, it sounds like you only ordered rear spacers? That's gonna make the jeep sit funny with a very pronounced forward rake.

A true 3.5" lift is plenty for 37s. I would rather cut my bumper than lift the jeep any further.

Last edited by boopiejones; 11-19-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Random Dude

For all the right reasons, FUCK a tall lift.

CUT THE BUMPER

or

change rear BUMP STOP length to keep the tires out of the bumper
(& add springs or spacers as needed)

and / or

CUT THE BUMPER

If the new bumper is getting into the tires, I'd fix that first.

Also, everything coilrod and boopiejones typed is dead-on.

For all the right reasons, FUCK a tall lift.
Ksu JK likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Its seems like too many opposing opinions on this to do it correctly. Cutting the bumper takes them all out of play. Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

I am still not seeing how you hit the rear bumper during flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode