BFG All Terrain K02 recommended PSI for Wrangler JKU 4 door? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jadmt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-16-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

BFG All Terrain K02 recommended PSI for Wrangler JKU 4 door?

Just picked up a set of LT285/70R17 BFG K02s for my 4 door JKU

These tires are E rated and recommended factory PSI is 80. The installer inflated them to 70PSI when installed and now I'm getting tossed around in the drivers seat rolling down the road. I understand that the tires will produce a less comfortable ride than the stock Goodyear Wranglers, but the current ride is pretty rough for a daily driver.

Is anyone running these tires? If so, what PSI is recommended that is both safe and practical for daily driver use? No added weight on the wrangler yet - the rest of the body and suspension are stock the exception of 17 x 8.5 Mamba wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Just picked up a set of LT285/70R17 BFG K02s for my 4 door JKU

These tires are E rated and recommended factory PSI is 80. The installer inflated them to 70PSI when installed and now I'm getting tossed around in the drivers seat rolling down the road. I understand that the tires will produce a less comfortable ride than the stock Goodyear Wranglers, but the current ride is pretty rough for a daily driver.

Is anyone running these tires? If so, what PSI is recommended that is both safe and practical for daily driver use? No added weight on the wrangler yet - the rest of the body and suspension are stock the exception of 17 x 8.5 Mamba wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing.

Any and all help is appreciated!
80psi is max for an erated tire when hauling max load. put them down to 30-32psi. I run my ko2's at about 30psi and nice and smooth and wear is even.
Scott Friedrich likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Rock God

While every Jeep is different when loaded or unloaded. 30-32 psi is a great reference, especially if you have the 10 ply tires. Google chalk test. The best way to determine ideal tire pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Granite Guru

Chalk test is good method but remember that it will just measure footprint and does not take into account load capacity.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 AM
Granite Guru

I would rather have genital herpes than E rated tires on a Jeep.
Why do folks do these things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #7 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlduke View Post
Chalk test is good method but remember that it will just measure footprint and does not take into account load capacity.
Freddie asked for pressure while daily driving...not while he has 2k pounds in the back and towing a 10k lb trailer. Are we talking about an F-250 or a JK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Damn Larry. Tell us how you really feel On the bright side, if this is a high milage DD, they won't wear out anytime soon.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #8 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

no,no,please!
I have not even read any of the other replies yet & I had to answer . I may read-on to discover the very same info is posted by someone else but it should help to confirm , if not inform, the OP that the recommended is never what ya wanna follow. Every vehicle weighs different and that is just a spec for the maximum PSI you'd be able to go to if the weight of the truck merits or calls-for that.
I have a relatively light 4door that I ran 35x12.50x6 e-rated and those are a overbulk tire for a Jeep; more for a heavy truck but the were bombproof ( Cooper STT Discoverer MTs in e rated) and with a 4700 +/- pound Jeep I got street tire like wear at 23psi - 25psi depending on the barometric pressure and temp outside. I would wheel them at 7psi to 11 psi. At 70psi I would imagine driving on the 35" KO2 was like riding around on huge, solid hoops of solid plastic ( imagine the stock JK sport bumper but solid, that is what i imagine) ! Yikes. Darn dangerous to others, as well.

try a baseline at 25psi for the KO2s ( I run them in a D-rated 37")in that size and try adding/subtracting 2psi , test drive, take 2psi out...take two more out...drive. It will help you to get a good tire gauge

post #9 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
JeepMomma said you did on her blog and that you have the rare and dreaded Purple Herpes. You poor bastard.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #10 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
JeepMomma said you did on her blog and that you have the rare and dreaded Purple Herpes. You poor bastard.
didn't she also blame Larry for breaking in and pillaging a drunk dudes JK that's stuck-out on some dilapidated bridge so he could buy medicine for the purpleherps?

post #11 of 15 Old 11-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
I bought load range E tires because 35x12.50-17 NItto Trail Grapplers only come in "E".
They're heavy as fawk, but they're indestructible so far. Had they been available in "C" or "D", I would have bought "C" or "D".
That being said, at 26-28 psi they ride fine on-road, and at 6-8 psi they ride like a fookin' dream off-road.

Not at all trying to convince you to get "E" tires, but there's my "why" I did: because that's all that was available in the tires I wanted.

So far,

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 11-18-2016 at 08:03 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-19-2016, 07:14 AM

I am looking at the same tires. Let me know how they end up riding. I am very concerned about the E range rating. Any 285 70 17 tires out there with a c or D rating?
post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Friedrich View Post
Any 285 70 17 tires out there with a c or D rating?
Here's 13 at Discount Tire (LINK)

HERE'S THOSE + OTHERS (LINK)

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #14 of 15 Old 11-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Thanks Looks like the GY Duratrac may be a option
post #15 of 15 Old 11-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

that's not an uncommon size+rating ; I think there are BFG KM2s, Cooper discoverer S/T and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W ( new one) as well as good ol' Toyo Open COuntry's that are DRated in that size.

I's still go with the KO2s but I am biased....get it, biased?

ba dum DUM,Crash!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode