4th gear issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post 4th gear issues

Anyone have 4th gear issues - popping out of gear and grinding? I traded my 2014 jk for a 2016 jku and my 4th gear grinds a few times a day.

I found a thread from 2012 that is the exact same problem, but I haven't seen anything more recent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM

We've been having rattling problems going into 4th gear, but the repair man says he cant notice it? Any ideas?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

The friend I bought my '13 JKU from said it was grinding and/or hanging up in 4th right after he bought it. Took it to the dealer, they "fixed" it, and now it will pop out of 4th and grind if I don't keep pressure on the shifter while releasing the clutch.

It also rattles in 4th, and the only thing that will make it stop is pressing down (toward the floor) on the shifter.

I'm taking the Jeep in to the dealer for service this week (trying to maintain my 100k drivetrain warranty...), I'll have them take a look at it and will post up what they say.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Wheeler

Yup I have the same problem. Mine will pop out and grind in 4th ever so often. I am hoping when I swap the front axle and move up to 4.88's with lockers it cures this problem and it's not a transmission deal.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelGulland View Post
Yup I have the same problem. Mine will pop out and grind in 4th ever so often. I am hoping when I swap the front axle and move up to 4.88's with lockers it cures this problem and it's not a transmission deal.
If it is grinding and popping out of gear, an axle swap isn't going to fix the issue.

Probably a transmission issue. Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit. A grinding and popping out of gear issue is only going to get worse as things wear.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

if you have a body lift check to make sure the body isn't hitting the shifter under the rubber boot
post #7 of 10 Old 11-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
If it is grinding and popping out of gear, an axle swap isn't going to fix the issue.

Probably a transmission issue. Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit. A grinding and popping out of gear issue is only going to get worse as things wear.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of . oh well will just be an excuse for me to upgrade to an atlas II after my warranty if I can't get it replaced under warranty.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit.
Yea I think that was mentioned once on the old forum.

I've brought it to three dealerships. The first said they noticed the problem but aren't sure how to fix it, "so come back later when it gets worst." The second dealership noticed it once, but said it was probably driver error on their end. The third said they didn't notice it at all. Ugh.

It happens when you gently shift into 4th gear, but not every time. But I can recreate it every few shifts and plan on taking the service manager for a drive to demonstrate it this weekend. I also called corporate to have this documented. Never happened once in my 2014.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

there's been a documented issue with some JKUs from '09-'11 where I recall the outer shift boot being torn or pinched from lifting Jeep or body.
Maybe look at one of the forum talks on this subject from a few years back may be interesting or of use.

dunno if it helps or not but check that outter boot on your shifter,possibly?

do you know that google search engine crawling for 3-4 words such-as" Jeep JK Pop Out of Gear" and using the crawler operator of this site dns name ," jkowners.com " seperated by a colon like this "Jeep JK Pops Out of Gear:jkowners.com"will search only this websites data .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-08-2016 at 07:51 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Wheeler

This happens to me in 1st gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode