Engine vibration - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Engine vibration

I just traded my 2015 JK 2 door for a 2016 JKU which is used with 8,000 miles. There's is really fast vibration at idle and worse when you put it in gear. It's an automatic. Really noticeable when you pull up to a stop sign or light. It almost feels like a harmonic balancer or maybe trans flex-plate. Not at all like a dead spark plug or a bad valve.
It is still under factory warranty and will be going in to have it checked out, but would like to hear if anyone else has had this issue and what was the outcome? The 2015 I traded was smooth as glass.
Thank you in advance.

Just have a ton of fun.
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

welcome & take some time to introduce yourself in the Welcome Room when you've time later on ...

Have you opened hood and had someone drive it a few feet, come to an idling stop and viewed the engine bay to verify there's not any engine mount issue or anything ? I am fairly sure the newer models don't have harmonic balancer son them like earlier JKUs did on xfer case but maybe you mean on tranny . There was another recent thread about a 2016 4 door that was going back to dealership with a improperly machined flexplate or housing mating surface and couldn't seal but your issue sounds different . What happens under load ? Like, when you are idling , in gear but use left foot to hard depress the brake as you slowly bring on the accelerator ? Sounds very much like something with the torque converter from your description .
I've not heard this before . I'd have that back at dealership if brand new deal and get in another JKU or I'd sick my wife on them.

Good luck and let us know wtf it was

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-08-2016 at 05:00 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 05:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I am fairly sure the newer models don't have harmonic balancer son them like earlier JKUs did on xfer case but maybe you mean on tranny .
He means the one on the engine.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
He means the one on the engine.
thnks, @ronjenx . I kinda realized that after posting , heh. my bad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Engine vibration

Somebody asked me to introduce myself. I'm Bob Albright, Joplin, Mo. I'm a 65 year old retired 18-wheeler parts counter man/outside sales. This is our 4th Wrangler. 87' was the first, 05' was next, followed by a brand new 15'. All were 2-door models. We finally decided to get a JKU. We found this one with only 7,187 miles on it. Grandkids getting too big for the 2-door models.
Now for the vibration. I was referring to older model engines that used a harmonic balancer (vibration dampener). This vibration does feel like that when the balancer's went bad or was hit. I believe it's either the torque converter or flexplate. It's most noticeable when in drive. Yes, I have put it in Drive, holding the brake and accelerating slightly. It'll vibrate enough to distort the image in the mirrors. Also really noticeable when cruising city streets, say around 30-35 and the trans goes top gear and torque converter locks in. But, it is noticeable when just setting in neutral, which could be the flexplate. Same thing as a flywheel, it's spinning because it's directly connected to the crank.
That 2015 JK Sport we traded off ran so smooth. Sometimes I glanced at the tach just to make sure it hadn't died. I would love to hear more about this improperly machined flexplate thing. Now I wonder.
Thanks to all for helping the "old man" out. Love the new JKU, just don't like the shake.😆😆😆

Just have a ton of fun.
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn
post #6 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Granite Guru

A bad motor or transmission mount can cause vibration sometimes. Don't forget to inspect them also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode